The online racing simulator
Rift S and Live for Speed
(4 posts, started )
Hi there, Im using a Rift S for LFS drifting. There's just this one big problem- as I look around while driving, it seems as though the game stutters. Very straining for the eyes and brain haha.

Ive tried researching, but it seems that all the info is at least a year old. It was also mentioned multiple times that the game's physics engine is just not compatible with the refresh rate of the VR headsets?

But there are hundreds of videos and experiences that show the compatibility of VR and LFS. What happened?

I'd love to use VR in LFS, but with the lack of display smoothness its almost impossible.
#2 - Ped7g
nothing happened, it's like this since the start. The ideal refresh rate for VR headset would be 100Hz, and none of the headsets has that one. (they are IIRC 75Hz, 90Hz and 120Hz).

One year info is as good as fresh info, Scawen is currently working on huge graphics update moving to DX11 from DX9, adding dynamic shadows and night mode, so VR will stay "as is" for some year.

But he is aware of the issue and plans to resolve it in the future - either by creating extra layer doing interpolation between renderer and physics state, or by rewriting physics simulation at higher refresh rate like 1000Hz instead of 100Hz), but don't expect this any time soon, would take probably few months of work after the graphics update (which seems highly unlikely before this summer, and I wouldn't be totally surprised even by hitting 2021, but hopefully it will not reach 2022).

The praise for LFS VR implementation is probably coming from the fact, that you usually don't see that mild stutter as long as you look in the direction of your movement ("forward"), with drifting style you probably look "sideways" lot more than regular drivers.
Thanks for the reply!

I just got frustrated because I've seen other people (Rift CV1 era) drifting on LFS with no complaints.
Exactly the same issue with me. I updated from CV1 to the S, frames dropped to 80 obviusly but stutters are killing my eyes. In other simracing games everything is smooth.

(4 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG