The online racing simulator
March Progress Report - LFS in Direct3D 11
(117 posts, closed, started )
Considering the move to dx11, would introducing a Vulkan port for Linux racers be a viable option (because I know about the dx11-vulkan compatibility) or would it be too much effort for a too small of a community?
Quote from cargame.nl :MXM cards are not supercheap, let alone the people who do not have the capability to upgrade their laptop like that. Nevertheless throughout the last ten years I managed to upgrade multiple times (M3000 -> 675MX -> 965M -> M3000M) and the initial card was already DX11 ready (22.02.2011 = 3326 days old).

However, not everyone is fortunate enough to be able and do an upgrade. I noticed in Russia for example that for second hand equipment the gold price is being asked. Also in European countries itself it's difficult, the times I needed to import stuff out of Germany to Croatia I cannot count anymore. If you want complete laptops then there is the problem of the keyboard layout as well.

Dedicated gaming machine? For the last twenty years no thanks, there is more in life to be stuck in one place

That may be, but you can't keep supporting old hardware for ever, especially when your progress is halted by it.

Anyway, even if people still buy laptops for gaming these days it's not the end of the world. Sure there are always people that can't afford the latest and greatest, but DX11 isn't that new.
Quote from BerdyGaming :Considering the move to dx11, would introducing a Vulkan port for Linux racers be a viable option (because I know about the dx11-vulkan compatibility) or would it be too much effort for a too small of a community?

Linux Community is "small", but dedicated, collaborative and grateful community.

About Vulkan, use this API make more easy to port the game to another OSs. I don't have any idea about game programming, so I'm not going to contradict the devs, but I know that in recent times Vulkan has come a long way from the first version.

I hope at least devs are trying to execute their game on Linux with DXVK to see if it is compatible.

I read in another post that Linux users don't be real simracers.... Here is a guy that plays rf1, rf2, automobilista, Pcars1, Pcars2, Race07, GTR2, AC, ACC in Linux, and of course LFS. .... and I am not the only one, as I have a group of Linux Spanish friends who are very interested in simracing like me.

In the last times support for Logitech Wheels in Linux grows a lot with a new driver ( new-lg4ff ) and two configuration utilities like Oversteer and PyLinuxWheel.
Quote from BerdyGaming :Considering the move to dx11, would introducing a Vulkan port for Linux racers be a viable option (because I know about the dx11-vulkan compatibility) or would it be too much effort for a too small of a community?

I don't really know in the future but in the short and medium timeframe that seems pretty much impossible. I have quite a few things to get done for the release. To learn another graphics system and support it side by side with D3D11 would be a mistake. Even if it might be interesting from a programming viewpoint, I expect it would take months to do. I've just done three months of very intensive work this year while converting to D3D11 (although I did some other things too - not all that time was on the port) so the thought of another port is not something I can imagine now!

I read that D3D12 has similarities with Vulkan so if we are still developing LFS in quite a few years from now, I guess it would be time to make a decision between D3D12 and Vulkan.

Quote from leillo1975 :Linux Community is "small", but dedicated, collaborative and grateful community.

About Vulkan, use this API make more easy to port the game to another OSs. I don't have any idea about game programming, so I'm not going to contradict the devs, but I know that in recent times Vulkan has come a long way from the first version.

I hope at least devs are trying to execute their game on Linux with DXVK to see if it is compatible.

It's good to hear that D3D11 still can work on Linux, because I don't want to restrict users to Windows. But I'm not so pleased to hear that D3D11 support requires a DX12/Vulkan GPU.

I don't have any plans to set up a Linux computer with a super graphics card to test DXVK - we don't have those kind of resources! As in space, time, money, etc. But hearing all those other games run fine, I would be surprised if LFS didn't.
While we also waiting for Eric to finish the latest tracks. Can we ask whats on your to do list Scawen? I mean to do list for next release.
Quote from Scawen :I read that D3D12 has similarities with Vulkan so if we are still developing LFS in quite a few years from now, I guess it would be time to make a decision between D3D12 and Vulkan.

It's good to hear that D3D11 still can work on Linux, because I don't want to restrict users to Windows. But I'm not so pleased to hear that D3D11 support requires a DX12/Vulkan GPU.

I don't have any plans to set up a Linux computer with a super graphics card to test DXVK - we don't have those kind of resources! As in space, time, money, etc. But hearing all those other games run fine, I would be surprised if LFS didn't.

D3D12 only works on Windows, Vulkan works also on Linux, Mac, Android, Switch...

If you need a Linux beta tester for DX11 with DXVK, count on me. I make "this kind of works" a lot of time with another racing games.
I'm running on Arch (btw) and will be more than happy to help with the Linux development. Currently LFS on Linux is fairly good, maybe 5 fps slower than the Windows version, but I assume thats because of my shitty machine and partially because of wine. Wine should be compatible with dx11 and will probably run it fairly adequately compared to the windows version. The only bug that I noticed when running lfs on Arch was the fact maps don't load if the screen isn't focused, but i think that exists in the Windows too.
About my license, I think that in a month I will be S2 or S3 . My birthday is comming....
Interestingly, you can actually use dxvk in Windows as well just by dropping a few DLLs in the application folder.
Cannot wait Smile
Quote from bishtop :Cannot wait Smile

We all desperate Wink LFS still rocks compared to other sims in many ways.

But I really hope they upgrade netcode. Previous when I asked for more packets per second I got respons that that causes to much cpu load. But when I compare LFS cpu load to other games I think we can handle that Smile
I'm new on LFS but already very impressed by the game right now (realistic physics, FFB)

So very excited for this upcoming DX11 update.

Keep going!
Hi, would it be possible to add sometime in updates in f12 panel what tyre we want to change specifically? Like only rear left, both rears, or both front tyres.
How are u Scawen?
I know this thread is about the graphics updates and all around them.

I just wanted to know, how's the progress about the tire physics? What's already been achieved? What's still missing?

Remember Eric said than the new physics already are better than the current ones. So what are the actual changes achieved? I would like to know the current situation with those just as well as the graphics ones.
Quote from delis :I know this thread is about the graphics updates and all around them.

I just wanted to know, how's the progress about the tire physics? What's already been achieved? What's still missing?

Remember Eric said than the new physics already are better than the current ones. So what are the actual changes achieved? I would like to know the current situation with those just as well as the graphics ones.

I suspect that tire physics are nice to drive and physics not going bananas in some cases is the issue here. It has to work under all situations, not just the average ones.
In terms of progress I think Scawen has been busy with the graphical side doing things that Eric might need to improve his workflow / general overhaul (switch to DX10). Also the Day/Night stuff wasn't planned (afaik) but as usual with LFS one thing leads to another and so on. Tires are probably the last thing Scawen will need to do for any kind of public release.

But then again, I'd also be interested in a (little) physics update.
Last info about tyres was that they work fine,but there are possibilities of misuse due unrealistic low pressures. Feel free to correct me if I got that part wrong though.
This topic should be stickied so both newcomers and those that have not visited for a while can see it
Quote from bishtop :This topic should be stickied so both newcomers and those that have not visited for a while can see it

as above
OK, I've stuck it. Though I'm not really convinced about sticky threads. My eyes seem to go straight past sticky threads as I'm usually looking for recent information rather than something someone wrote 10 years ago. Big grin
Quote from Scawen :OK, I've stuck it. Though I'm not really convinced about sticky threads. My eyes seem to go straight past sticky threads as I'm usually looking for recent information rather than something someone wrote 10 years ago. Big grin

Yeah it is usually the case when revisiting a forum you visit often but new users/members are usually information seeking and are more likely to see it and take a look if they visited to learn more about LFS or are looking for something else in particular

Thank you for taking the time to reply and all the best,hope all is and stay's well for you and the family/friends
@ Scawen - OT question, remove/ignore if you want. In terms of Fernbay do-over, do you plan to change the layout of the track a lot? The track itself is crazy in some places, but mostly i like it the way it is and it's kind of an LFS-schleife for me in terms of difficulty. Big grin What is your approach to this environment?
You are asking the wrong person!

I'm making the improvements to the graphics system which Eric uses to update the tracks.

I think his approach is a combination of working with what's there, adjusting it to be a better version of his original vision for the track and considering feedback from users over the years.

I hope Fern Bay retains its original character and doesn't become too modernised.
Quote from Scawen :...
I hope Fern Bay retains its original character and doesn't become too modernised.

clearly. Sidewalks to climb FTW. The bitumen can be even more destroyed Thumbs up
@ Scawen - i know you're the coder, but i am aware that Eric posts once per rain season in Sahara, so i reached out preferably to you. Big grin And thanks for the answer!
This thread is closed

March Progress Report - LFS in Direct3D 11
(117 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG