The online racing simulator
October Progress Report
(394 posts, closed, started , go to first unread)
They are not very easy to resolve. Antialiasing doesn't work very well in HDR when very bright pixels are next to dark pixels. Because when the GPU takes the average of the bright and dark samples, the result is still 'very bright'. The effect is also noticeable in some of the night pictures, where there seems to be no antialiasing on the edges of the street light lens.

EDIT: Actually this doesn't seem to be the same issue. This is more about reflections on edges and I guess you can see it in the public version too (maybe less so as you don't have such bright patches on environment maps). Anyway I don't think it's that noticeable, maybe worse if you are examining a screenshot.

I like the effect of bloom in the day when there are occasional bloom effects when you see the sun reflected in the window of a building, and when the sun itself is seen, flickering in and out of brightness behind some trees. I've found it looks best when moving rather than in screenshots.
i see a small video coming?? Tongue
bloom looks nice indeed.
indeed bloom is very nice !
But yes, the lack of antialiasing or the lack of pixels used for the car are noticeable on screenshot.
Quote from Bass-Driver :i see a small video coming?? Tongue
bloom looks nice indeed.

Yeah we have to check a video! Smile

A single screenshot is too easy to point out weird looking pixels.
The bloom effect seems very well tweaked for a start! many games like to exaggerate this effect which make them look awful!

I think those white edges are from the FZ5 mesh model, they are too sharp.
Quote from Scawen :I like how the bloom works with highlights.

Why the rims reflect the sun in this prespective? Is that the new lighting?
Quote from Flotch :the lack of pixels used for the car are noticeable on screenshot.

so what you are saying is a more high res car model would improve the situation? *cough*.. OK Smile
Quote from cargame.nl :so what you are saying is a more high res car model would improve the situation? *cough*.. OK Smile

Even some tesselation might help?
About rims reflecting the sky where it shouldn't... maybe they need a separate shader. Shrug
Quote from cargame.nl :so what you are saying is a more high res car model would improve the situation? *cough*.. OK Smile

Higher resolution cars wil be a must after all the efforts been done over the tracks ! But, after Wink
Quote from Evolution_R :It looks amazing! Heart
I hope these white 'edgy' pixels are easy to resolve -

Obviously not a solution, but on a high-DPI monitor (say 4K 22") it won't be nearly as noticeable.
Quote from Evolution_R :About rims reflecting the sky where it shouldn't... maybe they need a separate shader. Shrug

Maybe Global Illumination would be the "easy" but performance costing answer here rather than separate shaders?

Bloom is looking very good and not overly done.
Quote from Evolution_R :About rims reflecting the sky where it shouldn't... maybe they need a separate shader. Shrug

maybe they needs to get dirty and non reflecting :O
Edited shot (1st image) - it would be nice if we can have a real-time road reflections too. Or just a static reflection of the road.

EDIT: Added a comparison of the dynamic reflection options in BeamNG from left to right (turned off, high quality and low quality).
And if possible to have a working mirror visible from the chase and TV / free mode camera (currently only visible in car view in LFS - 2nd image, the 3rd image is from the free camera in BeamNG):
Attached images
bloom_fz_highlight_edited.jpg
in-car mirror.jpg
mirror.jpg
off.jpg
on high quality.jpg
on low quality.jpg
Sorry for the double post.
Quote from Scawen :...and when the sun itself is seen, flickering in and out of brightness behind some trees.

Quote from Evolution_R :Sorry for the double post.

Probably very irelevant question, but it got me so confused I have to ask - does the FZ5 have differently sized front and rear wheels (diameter-wise)? - In the video they appear to rotate at different speed (wheel rims get synchronised with the camera framerate at different velocity) Shrug

Sorry for off topic post.
Quote from Evolution_R :Added a comparison of the dynamic reflection options in BeamNG from left to right (turned off, high quality and low quality).

May I say I am not impressed by these images? BeamNG is also at least DirectX 10.1 (they say 11 themselves), not sure if they make use of these library extensions concerning reflections as I have no idea what the differences exactly are but LFS stays at 9. And that will be fine, I guess.
hello why not allow the modding of cars not the community? (which you will have chosen and validated?) that could help you? there are pretty good 3d artists, what do you think of the cars that we see in the showcase videos with lots of nice car models in LFS?
this is a simple question, i think no aml of anybody would like to help you in this wonderful project
Quote from cargame.nl :May I say I am not impressed by these images?

They are not very impressive, yes, thats why i said earlier the new graphics of LFS will be better looking overall than the BeamNG and it would be nice if LFS gets full dynamic reflections too (at some point).

@michal 1279, FZ50: 235/40 R18 front, 295/30 R18 rear
Quote from michal 1279 :Probably very irelevant question, but it got me so confused I have to ask - does the FZ5 have differently sized front and rear wheels (diameter-wise)? - In the video they appear to rotate at different speed (wheel rims get synchronised with the camera framerate at different velocity) Shrug

Sorry for off topic post.

Doesn't that happen because the driven wheels (in this case the rears) are always going to spin with a certain velocity no matter what, while the front non driven ones just take more to spin at the same speed ? I don't know if what i typed here has some sense lol
Quote from Scawen :Yes, the CPU sky is for:
- ambient lighting spherical harmonic (for directional ambient lighting)
- maximum brightness value (needed before the GPU sky is generated - see below)
- average sky colour (I'm trying to move away from any uses of this)

The GPU sky can still be stored as a 32-bit SRGB texture, doesn't need to be 64-bit HDR if I know the maximum value (from the CPU) before it is generated on the GPU. Each pixel is then multiplied by (1.0 / max_brightness) so the sky uses the full 24-bit range of colours.

Good way to improve memory bandwith Thumbs up

Quote from Scawen :I'd sometimes like to be able to generate things on the GPU and read the texture back into system memory for analysis by the program [...]
But I think this is a limitation with DX9 so I've avoided using that in real time situations.

Yep, but you can read data from the GPU asynchronously with DX11. And you also don't have compute shader or HLSL 5.0 so you'll be really limited for path tracing anyways Wink

Sorry for the late reply
Sunrise at Kyoto
Attached images
KY_sunrise.jpg
Its beautiful! Thumbs up
Great!
This thread is closed

October Progress Report
(394 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG