The online racing simulator
Exhaust
(25 posts, started )
Exhaust
will there be any "smoke" coming out of the exhaust and , most important, will there be backfire (would be QL in combination with the nightmod/lighting stuff

sry 4 bad englich
#2 - herki
you should be able to adjust the camshafts, so you can produce backfire (or get more power), that would be quite cool... then a mis-firing system is needed - and a car which uses it... prefarebaly a small mid engined 4wd rallycar ....

(oops... quite OT :schwitz
I don't think we need adjustable cam timing at all. What benefits does it bring, apart from the more mechanially minded people having an initial advantage over newbies... Eventually we'd all end up running very very similar timings, and therefore the adjustment would have been pointless.

As for smoke out of the exhaust, and backfiring on the high performance GTRs, then yes I would like to see them in S3, but right now I don't miss them one iota.
Quote from herki :you should be able to adjust the camshafts, so you can produce backfire (or get more power), that would be quite cool... then a mis-firing system is needed - and a car which uses it... prefarebaly a small mid engined 4wd rallycar ....

(oops... quite OT :schwitz

Agree with Tristancliffe. To have that level of adjustability would for some time create such a gap between those who have the knowledge to exploit it and those who don't. There are plenty setup options to be getting on with now.
Anyway, adjusting cam timing is not that beneficial without going into other areas such as fuel and ignition mapping to compliment such changes, and I really don't see the devs bothering with such detail when there are the basic physics to finalise.

As for a 'misfire system', am guessing here but I presume you might be referring to the 'bang bang' system that was used on turbo rally cars use to keep the turbo spooled to reduce lag (fuel injected into turbo, hence bang bang!)
I think it's called "antilag" right?
Quote from Warper :I think it's called "antilag" right?

Guess it has a few names, having stood next to a car whilst it was being tested I'll settle for 'bloody noisy'.
I'd like to hear the exhaust first
need some nascar spec cars to go around oval and have some 1 foot long flames that come out of the cars.. looks so odd lol
Quote from Warper :I think it's called "antilag" right?

Yes its anti-lag. Been in an Evolution (Evo 6), and when he flicked this switch and changed down gears, it back fired. Unsure what its for, but the car was bloody fast.

We kept burning this BMW 540 off, everytime when he sat on our arse in outside lane, just floored it and it was gone!
Changing cams should not be allowed, in reallity there will never be free cams, teams will be running the same/very similar cams.

Quote from tristancliffe :I don't think we need adjustable cam timing at all. What benefits does it bring, apart from the more mechanially minded people having an initial advantage over newbies...

Cam beltss take hours to change, so maybe a 5 hour wait each time the cams are changed
Quote from ajp71 :Cam beltss take hours to change, so maybe a 5 hour wait each time the cams ae changed

Lol. I guess we could have tiny adjustments on the cam pulley itself, like those blue ricer cam pulleys (that I'm convinced aren't strong enough for road use, let along race use).

But I like LFS's engines they way they are - unadjustable...
#12 - Gunn
"Anti-lag", "Misfiring System", and "Bang Bang" are all acceptable and widely used terms for the same thing.
Another note for the exhaust is for it to actually deform, with the rest of the vehicle if possible? It appears to be completely un-deformable at the moment (brought up as a "bug" in another section of the forum).
Quote from the_angry_angel :Another note for the exhaust is for it to actually deform, with the rest of the vehicle if possible? It appears to be completely un-deformable at the moment ...

yeah, and if its broke or deformed, it has to produce more NOISE!!!!!

is camshaft=nockenwelle in ger.? if yes, i agree with tristancliffe
(sorry 4 writing names wrong)
thought if a system was misfiring it would hinder preformance, and backfiring does not neither does anti lag??
Quote from marsden1002 :thought if a system was misfiring it would hinder preformance, and backfiring does not neither does anti lag??

Anti-lag deliberately misfires the engine by triggering the spark plugs when the exhaust valves are open. This ignites the residual fuel in the exhaust gasses, which then burns through the turbo charger and makes it keep spinning at high speed when the throttle is off. This produces a very noisy popping noise whenever the car is coasting, and is awful for the turbocharger and exhaust system, but it improves performance in the short term.

Backfiring is an obsolete term that's frequently misused--it's something that only carbureted cars can do. A backfire is when the engine triggers the spark plug while the intake valve is open. This causes the gasoline in the carburetor to ignite, and generally makes the entire intake system explode like a small bomb.
Then how do you call that?
That car has a V8 (most likely with injection) and certainly doesn't have any turbo. Oh and it does that flame thingy like every time it downshifts.
Attached images
798-8.jpg
Sorry for OT, but need to post this image we made at the last TunerGP in Hockenheim. And remember - we didn't edited this pic
Attached images
14-05-05-TunerGP-407.jpg
V8 supercars have flames come out of the exhaust every downchange....
its usually unspent fuel exiting into the exhaust and erupting into flames.

or something like that
ooooo fire...

i for one am happy without any flames..... this just isnt that important to me when i race.... plus it would need to be done very well if it was added so that it would look good.... at the moment all race sims have had crap flames which just look silly... gtr was one of the worst ....

think lfs should stay away from that
Quote from Madman_CZ :ooooo fire...

i for one am happy without any flames..... this just isnt that important to me when i race.... plus it would need to be done very well if it was added so that it would look good.... at the moment all race sims have had crap flames which just look silly... gtr was one of the worst ....

think lfs should stay away from that

PLX add fl4m3z to teh carz in teh LFS coz their so k3wL
Attached images
trvv_l33t_fl4m3z_in_LFS.jpg
Quote from geeman1 :PLX add fl4m3z to teh carz in teh LFS coz their so k3wL

that picture is exactly what madman means, it looks awful. If the devs were going to add flames they would have to be animated and varied in size etc. a lot of work to do

andy.
I can see it now, on the first lap, a bunch of cars approach turn 1
as the cars downshift and 'activate' this great new feature...

Pause, Flash, BANG!!!

(Pause from the added effects, Flash is the actual visual effect and bang
is you rear ending the guy in front).

I'm also with TristanCliffe on this one, the added complexity of setting up
such things like cam and timing in general are quickly ofset by the fact that
an optimum setting will eventually be used by most if not all and end up being
a penalty for n00bs instead.

Exhaust
(25 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG