The online racing simulator
Vr Valve Index setup and tweakings
I have just setup a Valve Index and drove 3 laps.
That is insane! I am impressed.

Anyway I am feeling lfs is capping it at 90fps. The index is 120Hz capable. What to do to set it at 100Hz? Currently I think it is sad as it was my buying trigger.

The menu are usually workable but sometimes tricky. May be a support for the valve/vive controller would be a plus to select by moving hand and not the head. I need more time to evaluate to be honest.

As a side note latest Nvidia driver plus msi laptop are currently crashing after 10 to 20s... I had to revert an older driver. Problem with sound are expected with these driver. It is a shame. This is not lfs related.
I have played more and at the end I have found how to set it a 120Hz... But there is no 100Hz preset.
#3 - Ped7g
IIRC 100Hz was never in technical specs of that display... which is kinda unlucky coincidence... still makes me wonder, if that HW is simply incapable to do it, or it's just missing thing in settings, or it was political decision to omit it... who knows..
I really believe it is a software issue. There are ways to setup the vr differently but I failed miserably.
To run at 90Hz I have cheaper option. Resolution is great though.
Rb4 interior is damn ugly. Can't wait for the big update!
Thanks for the Valve Index feedback. I also have heard from a few other people that it was working fine. I guess you are using the test patch as I see you posted there.

I understand there is the frame rate mismatch. I'm interested to know if you think LFS looks better at 120Hz than at 90Hz.

My understanding is this:

90Hz: there is a 1/100th sec glitch forward every 1/10th of a second (a physics frame is missed 10 times per second).

120Hz: there is a tiny pause every 1/20th of a second (the same physics frame is drawn twice, 20 times per second).

I think these two cases would have a different appearance. Someone said that 120Hz looked better.
Well the global experience is very impressive in 90Hz. No dizziness whatsoever (but I am not prone to it). I can play long session. I can run "fast" (Compared to me which is not impressive) the feeling is so great sideways (I had some quick pb on rallycross blackwood) ! Looking in the cockpit is awesome except in old stuff like Rb4 where it is horrible. I mean you really notice the radio texture...
Pixels can be noticed although it feels like no big deal. Looking far away or at the apex is smooth enough. There are some texture like wall or fence that don't feel right with some moiré. No screen door effect.
On the bad side I can't run it with the latest Nvidia drivers as there is some snafu with msi laptops. I tried to play 120Hz but could not.
As I don't have time to mess around too much, I well send it back, and wait. I might take it again later or take a cheaper 90Hz or wait more.

Edit: valve support told me that 100Hz is a hardware issue. I can't verify that but that could be true.
@loopingz Sorry but I dont understand the difficulty in running the Index at 80/90/120 or 144. You just go into the steam vr settings and select the prefered refresh rate.

In my experience, after long tests: The only acceptable refresh rate in LFS is 144hz, everything else has the annoying mismatch between physics/fps.
Having said that, good luck trying to run LFS at 144hz because the cpuframetime is hardly bellow 6.6ms which is the maximum time to render a frame at 144hz. GPU is practically idle. 1070/i7 6700k here.
A real shame, LFS could really show what 144hz VR is.

On a side note: curious that Richard Burns Rally also suffers from this problem in VR (vr mod made by kegetys) - everything bellow 144 is not smooth.
Well the index is long gone but I had huge issue on my msi "gaming vr" laptop running it. I had to downgrade gpu drivers and even like that it was not crazy flawless. Changing the framerate would kill it black screen all the time. I still think it is a shame for the Index not to support 100Hz native and MSI got me mad too. The index also run full size dp with no official mini dp adaptor. As a consequence everybody blames the afaptators... Anyway I loved the experience and I will try again when the time comes.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG