Poll : Was the overtake legit?

Yes!
No.
Hard racing in Demo - Too much, or just not enough?
We all know that Demo servers are one of the most patronized category here on Live For Speed, and besides league racing, some of us racers get our daily dose of speed battling around in the enjoyable Demo cars.

However, there are certain situations where new drivers, or, newbies would rather spoil the fun and leave the more experienced racers trailing in their dust and bodywork.

This post is to gather your views on the demo racing situation, and also your opinion on a executed passing maneuver that unsurprisingly attracted a lot of flak; both from supporters and adjudicators of safe racing in the demo community.

> In the comments section below, feel free to post your views on what Demo racing is to you, and what you treat Demo racing servers/Demo races as - a challenge and chance to adjust racecraft, or, an opportunity to pass time and educate beginners; or both!

Part 2

Is this move legitimate?

The classic dummy-pass

Hard racing in Demo has always been lacking from time to time, and certain community members have different views on how Demo racing should be.
An example is move shown above that received differing opinions, with some choosing to cite the lack of experience that is a huge part in Demo racing, and also the harshness of the pass.

On the contrary, others have remarked at the execution and timeliness, bringing up the point that faster drivers would not be contented to just sit behind the slower driver.

(Poll on thread header)
Discussion :This maneuver - is this a legal move, and if not, why isn't it? Would you encourage more of this hard racing in LFS; should demo racing be any different to licenced?

We all look forward to hopping in our virtual race cars and pushing ourselves to the limit, reinventing our ability and finding new opportunities to hone our skill. Let's push on into 2019!
That move is legit. Needed a bit of cooperation from the other driver, but the move itself was fair I'd say. Good pass.
I don't get this thread lol, is it just to show off you nice pass or what? Tongue I don't think demo racing deserves special treatment from any other type of pick-up racing, hard racing should happen. Anyway, that pass is perfectly legal and as Pete said, a bit of cooperation was needed but it was still a great move!
Quote from k_badam :I don't think demo racing deserves special treatment from any other type of pick-up racing, hard racing should happen.

Racing is racing is racing. In my experience, drivers at the head of the field in demo races are just as aware, if not more so than those at the front in licenced races, so racing like this shouldn't be complained about.
Nothing wrong with this pass...? Good use of the Mansell/Piquet dummy move.

Dunno how the demo scene is these days but a few years ago it was arguably more competitive than S2(grinding a single combo for months will do that to you)
#6 - lfsrm
Yes if it wasn't for his cooperation you would be both crashed.

Using such risky move in an outside leagues environment where not everyone can read your true intention is pretty risky, he can pretty well just kept his racing line, or worst, closing in too soon (if he is confused by your move) for you to pass.
Quote from lfsrm :Yes if it wasn't for his cooperation you would be both crashed.

Using such risky move in an outside leagues environment where not everyone can read your true intention is pretty risky, he can pretty well just kept his racing line, or worst, closing in too soon (if he is confused by your move) for you to pass.

Yeah, but I've known Storm for a long time and had battles like this a few times - luckily we both trusted our abilities Tilt

@Greybull
Kinda, but demo guys who get their License usually migrate away from demo - hope this trend gets broken though!
the overpass is clean I see nothing wrong
#9 - lfsrm
Quote :but I've known Storm for a long time and had battles like this a few times

In that case this can't represent the demo high skill racing, more likely lobby racing with friends. Petals
Quote from lfsrm :In that case this can't represent the demo high skill racing, more likely lobby racing with friends. Petals

But a little depressing seeing demo guys I've known slowly slip away from LFS, we cannot lose anymore scotty!
Quote from MicroSpecV :Yeah, but I've known Storm for a long time and had battles like this a few times - luckily we both trusted our abilities Tilt

so it basically has nothing to do with demo racing in generalUhmm

trusting your opponent's ability is the only ingredient in "hard" racing, it won't end up well otherwise
Quote from ImudilaSkyline :so it basically has nothing to do with demo racing in generalUhmm

trusting your opponent's ability is the only ingredient in "hard" racing, it won't end up well otherwise

Hmm, well if it wasn't someone I knew (to be fair I haven't seen Storm in a long time) then the relevancy would be more on point, but the point is about the level of racing demo should inculcate, or the rules or etiquette - because sometimes people feel demo is like a field of mines, while others feel its just a more populated version of S1-3 LFS
Yes it is acceptable, but for safety is not advisable because these risky maneuvers can cause huge accidents

But it was an excellent overtaking Smile
From my modest experience, if the server isn't well managed, Demo or Licenced are practically the same, half of the grid will not survive T1 anyway.
Replay of the incident attached.

I am in favor of accepting that move as legal, since Nova was clearly well behind the driver in front, so that swift move like that wouldn't affect the driver in-front.

Some also argued this was a "diving" action because Nova was behind the front car at corner's turning initiation point. When I saw the replay, I can clearly see that Nova was in full control of his speed, the relative speed between the cars at the corner's start is less than 5 Km/h and even if the driver in front supposedly closed the door, he could have braked more avoiding any major collision.

I say this is a legit overtake! Pretty impressive one too! Nicely done Nova Big grin
Attached files
nova-impressive-overtake.mpr - 699.5 KB - 162 views

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG