The online racing simulator
while it is true that powersliding significantly is usually not the fastest way around a track. In racing though it does often require very, very minute sliding. When you see a race car tackle a corner, he/she is usually pushing the envelope and breaking traction slightly to be at the limit. Its the driving on the very limit of traction and at times just beyond that can produce the fastest times
Quote from MicroSpecV :eh, might be, I wrote that late at night whilst multi tasking so I may have lost the point there. Nevermind, just ignore that bit, was trying to explain the OP but guess I strayed away from the purpose. Did I Say That?

When I meant by slide I don't mean a little oversteer or exit loss of traction, I mean something more similar to an XRG in Turn 1 at BL1 or Turn 2 + the middle sector in WE1R. That kind of controlled, extended sliding.

Fair enough, I see what you mean. There is an argument to be made that those slides around tight corners are used in real racing too, but that would incur penalties such as accelerated tyre wear and heat which we know aren't quite right in LfS.

It might be a problem in short-timed pickup racing, but surely that should drop away with any decent lap count?
I cba reading this whole thread but the OP is basically just asking for new physics? There are various issues around unrealistic setups and all that and they aren't exactly new.
Quote from bbman :Fair enough, I see what you mean. There is an argument to be made that those slides around tight corners are used in real racing too, but that would incur penalties such as accelerated tyre wear and heat which we know aren't quite right in LfS.

It might be a problem in short-timed pickup racing, but surely that should drop away with any decent lap count?

it could be faster in real life on short sharp corners as you carry can carry a much faster speed and even with the loss of a little forward motion you still take the corner faster, i have seen it done in the BTCC and i am sure it can be likened to when its rally on tarmac
OP is saying, seeing cars go sideways is ridiculous. The slip angle is forgiving and useful, albeit not realistic. Also evident on BL1 last turn with FMB - fast guys chuck the car in.

Maybe the sidewalls offer too much grip, traction break doesn't come into effect quickly enough. Although I like the "chuckability" of LFS cars as it's almost too easy, compared to AC for example... I don't know, I can drift in LFS whenever I want, but in AC, I couldnt do 4 connected corners with a drift tuned M3 E30 that comes with the base game. Although I don't like AC's physics, I am willing to admit that they are probably more right in this case.

You see all those drivers with FWD, RWD and AWD cars doing tankslappers on tourist nordschleife videos, no matter what tires they use. When was the last time you got a tankslapper in LFS?
Quote from Arnoldio :OP is saying, seeing cars go sideways is ridiculous. The slip angle is forgiving and useful, albeit not realistic. Also evident on BL1 last turn with FMB - fast guys chuck the car in.

Maybe the sidewalls offer too much grip, traction break doesn't come into effect quickly enough. Although I like the "chuckability" of LFS cars as it's almost too easy, compared to AC for example... I don't know, I can drift in LFS whenever I want, but in AC, I couldnt do 4 connected corners with a drift tuned M3 E30 that comes with the base game. Although I don't like AC's physics, I am willing to admit that they are probably more right in this case.

You see all those drivers with FWD, RWD and AWD cars doing tankslappers on tourist nordschleife videos, no matter what tires they use. When was the last time you got a tankslapper in LFS?

You see it with the FBM ? Not in the WR replay, also it seems some are confusing the tires screeching as sliding. A.C is a semi decent game but the physics and overall handling is much worse than LFS has ever been.
I think it has to do with angular inertia. LFS cars have too much. It's like driving on ice--for an average-wheelbase car, the front wheels alone can't muster enough rotation, so pushing all 4 wheels to a higher slip angle is necessary to even activate the rears in a steady corner.. which increases the threat of oversteer.. and if the cars do oversteer, more grip is spent canceling the rotation.

Why would they have too much inertia? If the box method was used.. cars aren't equal density from bumper to bumper, especially MR, and some FR cars. FF cars like the XF GTI, would probably be fairly accurate with standard box inertia values, at least in yaw and pitch.

Physics model - Major issue that needs resolving?
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG