The online racing simulator
Struggling and need help.
(51 posts, started )
Quote from BAD_BA :
I have now got into using the analysers to look at my laps compared to the WR lap of Mikus. 1:33.16

...I'm never going to match any of his corners as I'm on mouse steer and he obviously uses a wheel

We all wish Mikus gets a wheel from Santa Claus Big grin So far he is the famous & fabulous mouse driver, believe or not Big grin
Blackwood hasn't changed much layout-wise, of course.
But what has changed is the track geometry, it's become more bumpy, camber in certain corners has been changed. Kerbs have been made more "risen" and bumpy, and the introduction of the high sausage kerbs (don't touch those

These changes make taking the turn 2 chicane more harder as you need a perfect, slide-free line to maximise your time gain down the back straight. Time is lost and won there. Other than that, nothing else really.

@OP You're improving, so keep diggin' and you may dip into the 34s soon. Once you do that you can call yourself target achieved, as you're probably on par with your old-self. Smile

Mikus (Mikke) is hell quick. If you're within even 1 second of his WR lap you're quick.

Goodluck buddy!

(p.s a 0.6 difference between the WR of old BL and new BL doesn't sound like much, but in slow GTi cars, it's a big difference.)
Quote from lucaf :We all wish Mikus gets a wheel from Santa Claus Big grin So far he is the famous & fabulous mouse driver, believe or not Big grin

Well that's good to know. At least I know it should be possible to get low 1:34's as long as I can learn from his lines and technique.

The last few corners are where I'm losing time, in all of these corners he kicks the wheel quickly into the corner whilst using a touch of brake then coasts with a smooth line.

I am doing the same coast on the smooth line but a lot later and I'm braking longer. So I need to learn this steering kick technique.
Kicking the wheel (flicking) points the car in the direction he wants to go. However, as the car is moving forward, the equilibrim is to the rear, thus the front won't "bite" the corner quickly.

By dabbing the brakes, the weight shifts over the front axles, applying more force to the front tires, making them grip and bite and steer the front of the car. At the same time, it causes the rear to step out a little, initiating a small 4 wheel drift, which Mikke can then vary his throttle to "submarine" his car through the corner.

It's an act that's hard to replicate, even I can't do it, and I'm a 1:33.18 guy on BL. (Although I'm crap in GTi now).

Hope it helps Smile
And of course, with the lfs physics, if your rear is sliding, a touch of handbrake will bring the rear back in check.
-
(ImudilaSkyline) DELETED by ImudilaSkyline
Dipped into the 1:34's tonight, a high one (1:34.95) but I'm finally getting to the pace I want to be at before joining the races online. I would have joined before, but I just do not want to be in everyone's way tagging along at the back.
Oh you bunch of swine's. No one told me this.

Here was me struggling like hell and wondering why I could not get even close to anyone else on blackwood.

I was on the verge of giving up when, after watching some replays of other drivers, I decided to switch seats from the right to the left.

Sheesh, what a difference.

Why did I not try that before LOL. So much easier and so accurate on the racing line. The chicane is far easier to take and now I think about it, the three corners where I was losing time were all right hand corners where sitting in the left hand seat gives you a lot of confidence on the exit because you can see the limit of the exit so much better, hence you can carry more speed with more confidence.

I'm still getting low 35's, but I can now see where there is a mass of time to be gained with practice.
Seat position is purely down to preference. I drive right side because my country is right seat.

Doesn't make a huge difference, unless it's comfort and then it affects your driving that way Smile
Quote from MicroSpecV :Seat position is purely down to preference.

No,it's not. Especially for the lighter cars it makes a noticable difference where the 70kg of a driver are located. Generally you want to be on right side on clockwise tracks and left on anti-clockwise,but sometimes you might want to change because of some important turns.
On OP - Blackwood for me still is 100% right side seated track,only the chicane and 2 left turns are better with left side seat.
Quote from Eclipsed :No,it's not. Especially for the lighter cars it makes a noticable difference where the 70kg of a driver are located. Generally you want to be on right side on clockwise tracks and left on anti-clockwise,but sometimes you might want to change because of some important turns.
On OP - Blackwood for me still is 100% right side seated track,only the chicane and 2 left turns are better with left side seat.

LFS simulates driver weight? (Not incl passenger)
I didn't know that. Plus, I can't get used to driving on the left side of the car Frown

That's another unnecessary variable for racing for me... you don't see teams swapping driver sides at races... V8 Supercars don't plop Whincup on the left for Sydney and on the right for Bathrust, do they.. :/ I've always been curious whether swapping sides actually does something, or just purely a placebo for the mind to make you go quicker.
Yes,it does - check car's weight in pits menu,it will add 70kg when you click "Driver in". Or even turn on suspension view in garage - you'll see how putting driver in car affects parameters.
Well,now you know.
We don't have series fixed cars with variable drivers side - if we would have an actual V8 Supercar in LFS,it would deffinitelly be RHD. Or some euro series car,which would have LHD then.
Talking about placebo - build a small oval in autocross (or use a ready one),set the best possible lap with some light car while sitting in the inner side. Then try to reach that time while sitting in outer side - if you were really good with inner side,you'll never reach the same time with outer side seat.
Quote from Eclipsed :Yes,it does - check car's weight in pits menu,it will add 70kg when you click "Driver in". Or even turn on suspension view in garage - you'll see how putting driver in car affects parameters.
Well,now you know.
We don't have series fixed cars with variable drivers side - if we would have an actual V8 Supercar in LFS,it would deffinitelly be RHD. Or some euro series car,which would have LHD then.
Talking about placebo - build a small oval in autocross (or use a ready one),set the best possible lap with some light car while sitting in the inner side. Then try to reach that time while sitting in outer side - if you were really good with inner side,you'll never reach the same time with outer side seat.

Hm! That's true. I'm underinformed it seems Tongue
Quote from MicroSpecV :Plus, I can't get used to driving on the left side of the car Frown

Ditto, it just feels too wrong Smile I'd rather the slight handicap on left turns than "feels wrong" any day.
I've got the same problem with my speed.
I think i'm a fair driver on the servers. Letting the faster guys have their fun, by going out of their way. And trying to have a good race with people who have my times. Thanx to that, i've got many setup's from the faster guys, but can't seem to manage it.
Practising every day and night, mostly on the servers at evening and night, and single player during the day. I can drive mid 1,35. and sometimes (5 times) i've managed to have a 1,34.90. But that's it. That's the best i can do. Spectating the fast guys, but can't find out where they are faster than me. Only in the split times i see the difference.

Very proud i make a picture of the fast 1,34.90. But that's it.
I can't find out where the fast guys are faster.

Oh BtW, the name is Racer X on the servers
Attached images
lfs_00000006.jpg
Hey Mindjuh. As other people say u need train and experience to get better time. I could suggest u the XRG, I raced with u and saw that u are good driver but to have a better time I can give u some things. First learn the xrg beacuse xrg is faster on straights then xfg so u can get better time, try to slide a bit in turns so u enter with more speed on turns.Beacuse in xfg u cant do that and in xrg u can. Hope it helps Smile
Quote from Driloniloni110 :Hey Mindjuh. As other people say u need train and experience to get better time. I could suggest u the XRG, I raced with u and saw that u are good driver but to have a better time I can give u some things. First learn the xrg beacuse xrg is faster on straights then xfg so u can get better time, try to slide a bit in turns so u enter with more speed on turns.Beacuse in xfg u cant do that and in xrg u can. Hope it helps Smile

Thanx for your reply M8!
But learning a new car doesn't make me a better driver. I just take on some more HP, instead of knowing what the heck i'm not doing good enough. Understanding where i need to brake sooner or later, how to get a corner better, using the track to it's limits. That's what i need to learn.
I mean i see fast guys doing low 1,33 with the XFG. So it's possible.
Going from 1,38 in the beginning to mid 1,35 where i am now has been an incredibble ride, and i'm proud about that. But now my knowledge is stuck and i need to find out where those fast 1,33 are coming from.
Maybe you just need a break. Overpracticing may lead to a "stuck" where you just repeat your non-optimal driving lines and driving behaviour without improving. When I did my first "under 1:34" on that combo, it happened 2-3 days after a break of two months.
Quote from lucaf :Maybe you just need a break. Overpracticing may lead to a "stuck" where you just repeat your non-optimal driving lines and driving behaviour without improving. When I did my first "under 1:34" on that combo, it happened 2-3 days after a break of two months.

But i enjoy it so much. The battles, and the fun while racing and after the race Big grin
Quote from Mindjuh :But i enjoy it so much. The battles, and the fun while racing and after the race Big grin

Haha, thats why I have 17 thousands laps completed there with XFG Shy. Enjoy and don't mind your personal best. It will improve by time, you can't avoid it Smile
Quote from lucaf :Haha, thats why I have 17 thousands laps completed there with XFG Shy. Enjoy and don't mind your personal best. It will improve by time, you can't avoid it Smile

Thanx for the uplifting words m8.
Really hope that i can improve, but have to put the focus more on Enjoying myself instead of minding the laptimes. Thumbs up
Lol
Quote from Eclipsed :Yes,and when you see someone ahead of you just a tick faster,you'll get that little extra motivation boost that will make you faster. Wink

+1 That extra motivation goes a long way
Interesting thread, I've recently come back and also struggling for form on blackwood.
Had no idea that blackwood had changed, means my pb on lfsworld set in 2011 is going to be even more unobtainable than it currently appears...(high 1:34)
Can those stats be reset? Doesn't seem like I'm comparing oranges with oranges based on what I've read above.
Quote from Driver 8 :Interesting thread, I've recently come back and also struggling for form on blackwood.
Had no idea that blackwood had changed, means my pb on lfsworld set in 2011 is going to be even more unobtainable than it currently appears...(high 1:34)
Can those stats be reset? Doesn't seem like I'm comparing oranges with oranges based on what I've read above.

You can reset it via lfsworld by clicking on the current pb time, we also now have Blackwood Historic which does not have the chicane. I am far from fast on either with GTI but have many setups that may be of help if needed.

bish
Quote from bishtop :You can reset it via lfsworld by clicking on the current pb time, we also now have Blackwood Historic which does not have the chicane. I am far from fast on either with GTI but have many setups that may be of help if needed.

bish

Thanks, I might just do that then!
Quote from ymeshulin :If I may chime in with a recommendation, that would be driving faster cars for a change. That way you will train yourself to be faster and more precise with everything you do in a car.

I have tried this approach, and drove nothing but an FXR for a month. I was shocked how much more comfortable I was back in an XFG, and how much more small movements I was now able to do through the corner.

I'll give that a go too, I drive the FBM round there too but I guess that's not such a good comparison

Struggling and need help.
(51 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG