The online racing simulator
November Progress Report
(32 posts, started )
Quote from GT4_PL :what about Nvidia G-Sync improvement?

LFS really likes a 100 fps framerate on a 100Hz refresh rate for optimal smoothness (though I don't recall which gave the best resuts: locked to 100 fps with vsync off, or vsync enabled). Varying either doesn't make sense at the moment.
I use a 4K display and the fonts do not look very nice there because of the low resolutions. With the update of the font system are the fonts rendered with HiDPI?
Quote from Forbin :LFS really likes a 100 fps framerate on a 100Hz refresh rate for optimal smoothness (though I don't recall which gave the best resuts: locked to 100 fps with vsync off, or vsync enabled). Varying either doesn't make sense at the moment.

I recently bought a gaming monitor offering setting for refresh rate 60/75/100/120/144Hz - 100Hz + 100fps lock feels best without vsync.
Thanks for the report. Keep up.
Zzzz
Quote from Degats :Long story short, LFS is using the wrong width for a lot of the characters, so some get cut off (LFS thinks it's narrower than it is, like the gif) and some show the left edge of the character next to it in the bitmap as well as the correct one (LFS thinks it's wider than it really is). The top couple of lines of the Japanese extended page 87 are a good example of the latter.

I looked into this today and found a fix.

Technical explanation: For some characters, the Windows function GetCharWidth32W returns a width that is different from the width of the text drawn by DrawTextW, which is what I call to draw a single unicode character for a cache texture. I don't know why there is a width discrepancy but I've changed it to get the width by calling DrawTextW with the DT_CALCRECT option instead of GetCharWidth32W. It makes some sense because I'm now getting the width from the same function that is used to draw the text. This seems to work fine. Wide characters are still truncated on the right because these characters are copied into fixed size slots for efficiency as unicode characters need to appear and disappear on the cache textures and the slots are re-used. This is made a lot easier by all characters using the same size slot.

Quote from Brilwing :I use a 4K display and the fonts do not look very nice there because of the low resolutions. With the update of the font system are the fonts rendered with HiDPI?

I am considering 4K displays now and the updated fonts do look better in 4K than they did before. They are generated using slightly higher resolution and more accurately. I don't have my own 4K display but I can use a special 4K screenshot mode so I can check how it looks by zooming in using a separate program.
Quote from Degats :Liking the number plates Smile

Did you get a chance to look at the font width/alignment bug (attached) while you were digging around?
I can't find the bug report, but I know it was mentioned before - maybe buried in the hidden test patch section.

You should find this is fixed in Test Patch 0.6T2

November Progress Report
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG