The online racing simulator
The "How's your Weather" Thread.
(20 posts, started )
Being a Canadian, weather is a topic which is discussed at length. We Canucks use it as a greeting, instead of hello, we will often say "Cold today eh."

Record temps in OZ, storms raging across the USA the likes of which have never been seen before, colder than MARS in Winnipeg, CA. Last year was the 4th warmest ever recorded, the previous 3 were 2017 2015 and 2016 which was the hottest yet.

If you take any cool pics of weather, lets have em here, and please feel free to tell us all how the weather affected your life today.

Personally, not going out there today, nothing but ice. Totally shocked we haven't lost power due to trees falling over.

So drop by often and let us all know how good, bad or extreme your weather be.

Have a great day.

AAnt
Rainy and grey, we don't really get any proper snow here. Only got down to negative celsius for about a week this winter and only ever gets up to about 25 in summer for a day if you are lucky. We have a word here in Scotland which describes our weather perfectly; dreich.
This thread fits pretty well for todays weather we had in northern Norway.

It had been snowing for 5 hours straight, rained for 2 hours. I was working at the time and had to drive 45 km to get back to work to get some stuff sorted out before going home. Usually this drive takes 30 minutes. It took 1 hour and 20 minutes.

First of all we had to drive 30 kmh under the speedlimit (snow + rain is not a good combo). Tried to go 10 kmh under the speedlimit but would then lose traction to the road. After driving for 20 minutes we found a bus that had driven off the road. It was laying there in the snow, we stopped, walked over and talked to him. Everything was fine, we could move on.

We kept driving and were on our way to the Town Hall (where our office is located). Still had to drive pretty slow due to weather condition and very slippery road. Nothing too much happened on our way there, nearly drove off the road ourself due to ALOT of wind (i live close to the coast in north norway so we always have wind, but today was more than usual).

I forgot to mention that earlier today i saw 4 cars stuck in a parking lot. It had been snowing quite a bit that night. The ironic part is that all of those 4 cars were all-wheel-drive. Yikes!
Its been a pretty interesting day at work.
If you made it this far, thanks for reading! Turned out much longer than i expected.
We got plain old Murdered by the weather today, Wind chill in the -25c range, winds 50 to 80kph and 15cm of fresh snow just incase our eyeballs weren't already frozen over and to think this is yet to come.

Issued at 20:00 Tuesday 12 February 2019
Snowfall with total amounts of 15 to 20 cm continues.

Snow will continue heavy at times tonight into Wednesday morning.

Total snow amounts of 15 to 20 cm are expected.

Strong northeast winds gusting to 60 km/h will cause very low visibility in blowing snow.

Snow will end Thursday afternoon.
Here is a good overlook map of the world to play with, shows all the moving patterns.

Move the mouse anywhere in the world and it gives you current temp in real time.

https://map.worldweatheronline.com/

It's actually pretty cool for instant real all world weather.

Enjoy.
Quote from THE WIZARD DK :though i think canada weather would go more to norway than denmark because up higher.but it usually spins that way.

Norway would definitely be closer than Denmark but oh boy! Canada is a tough one to beat. I'm sure they're used to -25c+ degrees over there. We peaked at -22c this winter. Most winters we would get rough wind and -10c, and let me tell ya. You would wanna be inside when that happens.
-8 degree C the other day, next day it was raining and +1 degree C, aaaand on the day after that it was -5 degree C once again..gotta love the black ice. Literally every road was covered in ice but now it's a lovely +3 now, snow is melting away and I can finally get across my yard without getting lost in the snow that's up to my crotch
Quote from AtomAnt :Here is a good overlook map of the world to play with, shows all the moving patterns.
https://map.worldweatheronline.com/

There is another one I use, called Windy ( https://www.windy.com ). I like it a lot more because it has so much more data, map overlays, advanced forecast features using multiple forecast models (ECMWF, ICON, NEMS, GFS). Once you get used to it, it's such a great and advanced webpage. I like it a lot, recommend it. Honestly, the worldweatheronline map seems like a copy of Windy, haha, so much similarities.
Attached images
mif.jpeg
#10 - jkat
Quote from nikopdr :

Looks like an afternoon coffee break in summer time, before midsummer Omg omg omg
I really feel for you guys ATM, really I do......

Did I mention it's summer here ?
Quote from MandulAA :There is another one I use, called Windy ( https://www.windy.com ). I like it a lot more because it has so much more data, map overlays, advanced forecast features using multiple forecast models (ECMWF, ICON, NEMS, GFS). Once you get used to it, it's such a great and advanced webpage. I like it a lot, recommend it. Honestly, the worldweatheronline map seems like a copy of Windy, haha, so much similarities.

lol, I see what you mean, windy.com is awesome. Thx for posting it.
AAnt
Quote from MousemanLV :-8 degree C the other day, next day it was raining and +1 degree C, aaaand on the day after that it was -5 degree C once again..gotta love the black ice. Literally every road was covered in ice but now it's a lovely +3 now, snow is melting away and I can finally get across my yard without getting lost in the snow that's up to my crotch

MOUSE...good to see yah friend, -8 eh. Coldest we've had in Elliot Lake this winter...-34 with a steady 40kph wind, nice and sunny today and a mere -10. So much snow here our little city is going broke plowing and lord knows where we gonna put it all.

AAnt

Meanwhile.........
"New Zealanders made the most of the country's hottest summer on record."
We have a saying about winter time here. If you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes and it will change. Our weather is usually all over the place during the winter. Hot one day, cold the next. sort of OK the day after that. The TV weather news is really just guesswork.
I have noticed over the last twenty years or so, the winters having less cold days. We only had two or three days of actually freezing weather. Our winter nowdays is usually pretty much over with by the end of February.
The city I live in straddles two climate zones. Temperate and sub tropical. It's weird sometimes when the south part of the city is warm, the north part is freezing. You can feel the drop or raise in temperature
when you cross over too. We have really weird rain patterns too. Like I've seen it rain in one person's back yard every day at 2:30PM for about 15 minutes and do this for like a week. The rain doesn't fall anywhere else but in the one person's back yard. Or it will rain on on side of the street and not the other. And there's a definite border between the rainy area and the dry one. No sprinkly area in between. Just rain or dry.
Well, we have had a lot of snow in the last 2 weeks, seems it was enough to cause the roof of our Civic Center to collapse.
The collapse happened around 6:30 p.m. Thursday Frb 21 when the roof area over the 340-seat theatre auditorium caved in.

Had this happened tonight at the same time, over 200 of those seats would have been full. As luck would have it, the auditorium was empty and no one was injured

Some of you may remember when our mall collapsed back in June of 2012 killing two local women, one who was trapped for more than 3 days. that made every major paper in Canada, and now because of this snow laden roof giving way we are once again in the nations spotlight.

The Civic Center just passed a full inspection in 2017, it was just all this snow. Word to the wise, check that roof.

...... and how was your day.

AAnt
We don't get much of that here. I think it snowed two years ago one day.
Not anything near what you'd call snow. But here when a snowflake manages to stick, we shut the whole city down and make a holiday of it. most folks here from Canada and the northern states laugh at how we freak out about a few snowflakes. You'll see neighborhood kids raiding yards for enough snow to build a snowman before it melts away. I think it got up to 80f (25c?)here today. Yeah. Winter is all but over here. Leaves are beginning to pop up on the trees.
I think God's punishing me for bragging about how warm it was....
Damn! We got below freezing! In March! March! That's the month people from Canada and the Northern States come down and clog our freeways to the beach. What really sucks about that is this year the freeway I have to take is also a complete under construction cluster #@!!
I was thinking... What we ought to do with measuring temperature.
What we ought to do is when describing how hot it is, use Celsius units.
When describing how cold it is, use Fahrenheit.
See that way it won't seem as hot or as cold to us. Think about it.
-2 celsius sounds a lot colder than what 30 degrees fahrenheit does.
and 30C sounds a lot more comfortable than 90F.
We should do that with weight too.
Like if you wanted somebody lazy to move something heavy at work. You could say,"Nah dude it only weighs 50". I don't think they'd be so willing to move something that weighed in at 120# Or you can go the other way and say, "I'm on this new diet and I've lost 50 lb.s in three weeks!".
That's way more impressive than just losing 23.
We were at 30C + sunday and today we woke up at 4C and some zones below zero.
And it's march, this day is colder than what we got in the entire winter

(20 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG