The online racing simulator
G27 setup help
(17 posts, started )
G27 setup help
Hi everyone, new here. Played a fair bit of a LFS a few years back then stopped gaming for a while and just getting back into it again.

I'm having some issues with finding a usable setup for my new (second hand but new to me) G27 in LFS.

As default it only had 180° rotation available, I found how to switch that setting on and off in another helpful LFS forum thread here: https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/74394-g27-only-turns-90-degrees

However with full rotation its basically undrivable, especially when I want to slide around - its more or less impossible to get enough lock on quickly enough to catch a slide. If you use the old let go of the wheel technique it sometimes winds around fast enough, but doesn't balance at the right lock and overcorrects.

Changing the wheel rotation in the car setup doesn't seem to do anything, so my only options seem to be 180° or 900° using that button combination from the other thread unless I try changing the rotation in logitech profiler - but obviously I would have to exit the game to use different rotation for different cars.

I found a few old threads with suggested settings (setting profiler to 101% FF and spring + damper effects to zero) but it doesn't seem to have helped.

I don't think its a lack of driving ability because I can drift until the tyres pop on the 180° setting (they overheat a bit fast really...) and I don't have the same problem playing dirt rally with the G27 (often set to 540 or 720° rotation there) or sliding real cars around.

LFS is playable and fun if I leave it on 180°, but it just doesn't seem like thats making good use of what the wheel should be able to do, and it makes it harder to adjust to more steering lock in dirt rally again afterwards.

So, any suggestions, settings I might have missed etc?
If you've never had a wheel that turns 900* lock to lock, it takes a while to get used to. It's not undriveable at all, try sliding the car around a lot in autocross to get the feel for the car and see how to countersteer with that steering angle.

It's good to start out with 540 degrees first, just set it in profiler and ingame, with wheel turn compensation also adjusted to 1.00. this setting makes the steering axle more linear, which might be a part of the problem too. in 900* mode if you have that set to 1.00, it goes 1:1 with every car(720 in road cars, 540 in GTR cars, 470 open wheels, etc)
Quote from nikopdr :It's good to start out with 540 degrees first, just set it in profiler and ingame, with wheel turn compensation also adjusted to 1.00. this setting makes the steering axle more linear, which might be a part of the problem too. in 900* mode if you have that set to 1.00, it goes 1:1 with every car(720 in road cars, 540 in GTR cars, 470 open wheels, etc)

A normal wheel (back in the old days) was 270º. When upgrading to a G25 I upped the range to 360º and shortly after to 450º (this is the maximum for always having both hands gripping the wheel).
After many months I stepped up to 540º (as previous post states, the correct degrees for race cars).

When I got the G27, I had to use H-shifter instead of sequential, so I also went all the way up to 900º. If I'm having the gearbox handicap let's also get use to the full steering range. A decision I don't regret, but it sure took a long time since those initial 360º.

My recommendation for you would be to spend a month or two at each step. Until you reach 540º, then it's up to you to see if you enjoy 720º or 900º.
As above it depends on which car you are about to drive regarding wheel degrees setting

Apart from that in Logitech profiler set the FFB to 105 as there is some issue(read a while ago so unless fixed)

Make sure you have the setting Allow Game to Adjust settings
Disable/Uncheck the centering spring in force feedback games
Spring and damper setting to 0

I drive the FBM most of the time and have the steering set to 450 degrees with 0 wheel turn comp and the ingame FFB set to 10 or below also analogue steer smooth set to 0
Thanks for the advice, I'll keep trying to adjust to it.

Its strange though that I can use the extra rotation in Dirt Rally (which is probably harder to control in general than LFS) but having so much trouble with it in LFS.
There are so many things to alter in LFS that will alter the handling in some way or other that it does take time to get personal setups just right, even after 9 years i am constantly doing little adjustments to my wheel config, if you would like some setups that i believe would be stable let me know and il upload some for you Smile

Mrc bish
Thanks, I won't say no to some setups to try out. Smile
Setting the rotation in profiler rather than leaving it up to the game seems to have been a key thing for consistency, I'm feeling pretty good with it on 360° as a balance between response and precision for now, I'll try 540° another day.

The game still decided to override it a couple of times for some reason, not sure if it was when I changed cars/loaded car setups or when I changed some of the wheel settings in game. Just had to exit game and open it again from profiler, hopefully it was just while adjusting settings and will behave now.

I've also wrapped a rubber band around the top centre of the wheel for a marker as I found I was losing track of centre at times with more rotation, it seems to be helping. Not a problem I have with real cars even with a few armfuls of opposite lock, but I guess the G27 is still only about half the size of a real wheel so maybe thats part of it.
Depending on how often you will be changing cars, each car has its own setting or amount of degrees if you want 1-1 steering. For example the FBM is 450 degrees while the xfg is 720 degrees or the BF1 is 400

Do you have the centre spring effect disabled and also set the spring and damper effect strength to 0 in the logitech profiler

il upload some setups and send you a link when i am back on my pc at home
Yes, I have those settings in profiler. I can see why people like using the different steering ratio for different cars but it needs the feedback to be good enough to drive them intuitively - and for me its not really there so far.

Adjusting to 540° today which is going mostly ok, and trying to analyse the feedback from the game.

I think a large part of the issue is that the game isn't really giving much feedback for when the tyres are starting to regain grip after a slide, which would let you know to start straightening the steering/taking off opposite lock.

Because its not giving the feel to start unwinding as the car starts to grip, you have to do that reactively after it bites and so there is a much shorter time available to avoid overcorrection, which a faster steering ratio makes easier (though less precise I guess).

At the moment it feels like I'm forcing the wheel against the feedback to unwind lock early enough as the tyres start to bite.

I might try reducing the overall FF weighting so I'm using a lighter grip on the wheel to help feel the more subtle feedback if its there.
Open up your Logitech Profiler and then the FFB (Force Feedback) settings window: either "Options" - "Global Device Settings" or if you are using game profiles "Edit" - "Specific Game Settings". Suggested settings are these (also shown in the screenshot):

Overall Effects Strength - Set to 101-105% (101% is good value). Due to problems inside the Logitech Profiler the FFB only starts to act linearly when set over 100%. You can always fine tune the level of FFB in LFS's Options > Controls or you can adjust it "on the fly" while driving with the FFB (Force Feedback) shortcut keys.
Spring Effect Strength - Set to 0%. It is Logitech driver based effect and practically LFS does not need this (confirmed by the game developer).
Damper Effect Strength - Set to 0%. It is Logitech driver based effect and practically LFS does not need this (confirmed by the game developer).
Enable Centering Spring / Centering Spring Strength - Uncheck the box (disable it) and set it to 0%.
Report Combined Pedals - Uncheck this option. Enabling this only gives you one pedal axis, meaning you can't use brake and throttle pedals properly. So disable it.
Degrees of Rotation - If your wheel provides this option, set it to the particular car's lock-to-lock angle (LFS lets you see this value in the car setup screen, under "Steering").

(Source - https://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Wheels)

These are the guidelines i use for my wheel setup

LFS was/is reported by many to have the best FFB, hope you figure it out soon. good luck Smile
Quote from GravelBen :...there is a much shorter time available to avoid overcorrection, which a faster steering ratio makes easier (though less precise I guess).

The smaller your ratio, the harder it is to find a precise angle for holding a drift, and it also amplifies all of the force feedback because all of the different movements are trying to happen in a relatively small space. The more rotation you give the wheel, the more realistic the FF feels, and the more play you have when correcting slides (less likely to suddenly over-correct).
I have the same problem, on my oldest still working logitechs wheels which I have Force FX and the Xbox360 version, I could drift easily or play rally games... When I bought the Logitech G25, I could never actually do much of a drift at 900º or rallying and never got used, but for GT games hell what a HUGE upgrade.

Anyway my problem here is setup since I'm using a very old desk that its not even good for keyboard and mouse, even makes my aiming broken and uncomfortable...

The wheel barely can stick to this thick desk, the gearbox doesnt even lock only the bolt sticks and I can't put it further in front, the wheel is too high and on an uncomfortable setup that mostly only feels natural to do 1 turn max and the pedals are against the wall and on a bad place too and I'm using a chair with wheels so if I brake I get moved back, and if this is all so damn bad already, the wheel is very little which makes it even worse, its nothing like when I'm sitting very confortable on my Peugeot 206 where I can totally grab the big wheel fine and turn it as much as I want it feels so damn confortable......

And I don't have enough space to buy or make anything better here, 2.5 by 2.5 meters room with 2x 5.1 speakers + 2.1 speakers, 1 big table with a 43 inch samsung 4K TV, a bed, a wardrobe, a bedside table, a bad desk and not even space for my huge PC case its behind the door against the wall with the fans spraying hot air into my face and the door always slamming it Frown.
I don't even have space for that small thing here, this is almost a prison room size lol and already full of hadrware, wires and crap all over the place Smile

But that could work here is for the TV connecting the PC to the TV, but I would have to play from the side and the colors\contrast all goes to S*** viewing from side on my 4K TV... And would be booring to keep removing the wheel and everything every time I would want to use, no chance for that here Frown.
I went for the cheap option template, drill and long bolts.
Quote from guily6669 :I don't even have space for that small thing here, this is almost a prison room size lol and already full of hadrware, wires and crap all over the place Smile

But that could work here is for the TV connecting the PC to the TV, but I would have to play from the side and the colors\contrast all goes to S*** viewing from side on my 4K TV... And would be booring to keep removing the wheel and everything every time I would want to use, no chance for that here Frown.

If you have space for your legs under your desk the front part of the stand slots under leaving the wheel sticking out which is very little and the very reason i bought it

G27 setup help
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG