The online racing simulator
Narcos
(7 posts, started )
Narcos
Anybody else watch this series? I dunno if Netflix is world wide, but if you have it, you should check this out. WARNING: It's pretty damned violent though. Definitely for mature audiences.
I don't think I could say it's better than say Game of Thrones or The Wire, but it's in the same neighborhood.
If you like shows like Preacher, Fargo or Mr Inbetween, you might like it.
#2 - 5tag
It's a pretty good show overall. However what I have an issue with is that in between scenes, genuine, archival (news) footage is being shown to advance the plot with off-camera narration.

On a simple level that can be confusing because of the sheer volume of names being thrown around and because many of the actors and actresses only vaguely resemble their real life counterparts.

In a broader sense I also find it problematic because it can give off the feeling of watching a documentary, when it is of course a drama (with lots of dramatisation and other historical inaccuracies).

But being taken for what it is, I guess it does a good job of creating that whole atmosphere of impoverished background, glamour, violence, DEA work, politics, vendettas, power trips and so on.
Yeah they do get a little loose with the facts - especially season three (Mexico).
They jumbled all of that up. Like the whole kidnapping thing was completely different than the show made it. If I'm not mistaken, Kikki (the DEA agent) was kidnapped - by accident. They thought he was an informant or something. They didn't know he was DEA. And Albert Sicilia Falcon didn't actually have much to do with the Sinoloan gangsters. He was actually busted a few years before anybody heard of cartels.
He was an interesting character all by his self.

I actually met one of the people portrayed. The American pilot for the Medellin cartel. I met him about 6 months before he was gunned down.
There's a movie about him too with Tom Cruise, but it's not all that accurate either. And I forgot the name of it.
"There's a movie about him too with Tom Cruise, but it's not all that accurate either. And I forgot the name of it."

American Made.

Here's a more accurate Barry Seal Bio.
https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/features/american-made-tom-cruise-barry-seal-real-life-true-story-cia-drug-smuggler-informant-pablo-escobar-a7911081.html

The truth behind Narco's is probably far more entertaining, but will be missing from a Netflix story....
I wonder why. Uhmm

Very Very Big Hint: Mena Airfield.Rofl

And I'm sure that no one involved with 'Narco's' had any desire to end up on this list.

https://www.globalresearch.ca/the-real-drug-lords-a-brief-history-of-cia-involvement-in-the-drug-trade/10013

For more than a decade, Panamanian strongman Manuel Noriega was a highly paid CIA asset and collaborator, despite knowledge by U.S. drug authorities as early as 1971 that the general was heavily involved in drug trafficking and money laundering. Noriega facilitated ”guns-for-drugs” flights for the contras, providing protection and pilots, as well as safe havens for drug cartel otficials, and discreet banking facilities. U.S. officials, including then-ClA Director William Webster and several DEA officers, sent Noriega letters of praise for efforts to thwart drug trafficking (albeit only against competitors of his Medellin Cartel patrons). The U.S. government only turned against Noriega, invading Panama in December 1989 and kidnapping the general once they discovered he was providing intelligence and services to the Cubans and Sandinistas. Ironically drug trafficking through Panama increased after the US invasion. (John Dinges, Our Man in Panama, Random House, 1991; National Security Archive Documentation Packet The Contras, Cocaine, and Covert Operations.)

https://ips-dc.org/the_cia_contras_gangs_and_crack/

CIA-supplied contra planes and pilots carried cocaine from Central America to U.S. airports and military bases. In 1985, Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA) agent Celerino Castillo reported to his superiors that cocaine was being stored at the CIA’s contra-supply warehouse at Ilopango Air Force Base in El Salvador for shipment to the U.S. The DEA did nothing, and Castillo was gradually forced out of the agency.

When Danilo Blandón was finally arrested in 1986, he admitted to drug crimes that would have sent others away for life. The Justice Department, however, freed Blandón after only 28 months behind bars and then hired him as a full-time DEA informant, paying him more than $166,000. When Blandón testified in a 1996 trial against Ricky Ross, the Justice Department blocked any inquiry about Blandón’s connection to the CIA.

Although Norwin Meneses is listed in DEA computers as a major international drug smuggler implicated in 45 separate federal investigations since 1974, he lived conspicuously in California until 1989 and was never arrested in the U.S.

Senate investigators and agents from four organizations all complained that their contra-drug investigations “were hampered,” Webb wrote, “by the CIA or unnamed ‘national security’ interests.” In the 1984 “Frogman Case,” for instance, the U.S. Attorney in San Francisco returned $36,800 seized from a Nicaraguan drug dealer after two contra leaders sent letters to the court arguing that the cash was intended for the contras. Federal prosecutors ordered the letter and other case evidence sealed for “national security” reasons. When Senate investigators later asked the Justice Department to explain this unusual turn of events, they ran into a wall of secrecy.
Quote from Racer X NZ :"There's a movie about him too with Tom Cruise, but it's not all that accurate either. And I forgot the name of it."y ran into a wall of secrecy.

The stuff I went through back then would make your head spin - and I was a very low man on a very big totem pole.
Word of advice: If you just have to get mixed up with drugs, just stick to taking them. Leave the selling to somebody else.
"The stuff I went through back then would make your head spin - and I was a very low man on a very big totem pole."

Probably not....Cool, to the head spinning thing anyway. Big grin
Just be thankful that you were not stupid enough to try to bring the Clintons to court.

But I fully agree that from a Health and Safety point of view it pays to stay a very long way away from people like that.

As a research topic however, it certainly shines some light on American Foreign Policy that is still operational today.

"The United States invaded Afghanistan largely to restore the heroin industry and it is now making about $1.5 trillion every year from this business, according to Dr. Kevin Barrett, an American academic and political analyst."
https://www.presstv.com/Detail/2017/11/20/542871/US-invaded-Afghanistan-largely-to-restore-heroine-industry
LOLOLOL Did all that to get ... Heroin? Dude. Seriously?
We don't even need opium plants anymore. The crap doctors sling out here like candy is all synthetic. Kinda like bath salts and not pot, only it's approved by the FDA. If anything, those opium fields compete with big pharm, so why would that be? You know how much Pfizer can sell their stuff LEGALLY in Europe? Who's the competition? And as far as heroin goes.
Here when the insurance runs out or the pill kill gets raided, the junkees will get heroin, but it comes from Mexico.
Junkees.... Half of those poor folks weren't any sort of druggie - til they got hurt and saw a doctor.
I imagine y'all get yours from Vietnam, Cambodia and Thailand.
But folks like these are more dangerous to the planet than any heroin dealer out there.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/12/26/opinion/opioids-lawsuits-purdue-pharma.html

Yeah. One thing big pharm has over the other dope dealers though is when they show up to make the street dealers buy their stuff, instead of pistol whipping them, they do this

https://khn.org/morning-breakout/insys-sales-manager-gave-doctor-lap-dance-witness-testifies-as-more-details-of-opioid-makers-strategies-emerge-in-trial/

If you wanna know something, the Mexican drug wars was set off by Bin Laden. Yep after 9-11, crossing the border turned into a BIG hassle. And at one time, Nuevo Laredo was the safest big city I had ever been in. All that went to hell on September 12th. And everyone I know from there is either here or dead.

Narcos
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG