The online racing simulator
Options for external monitor to laptop.
(3 posts, started )
Hallo,tech experts!
I've been using laptops for a while,but recently came to conclusion that I would like a bigger screen,so I want to extend my possibilities with external monitor. My MSi laptop has only 2 options to connect a monitor - HDMI and mini-DisplayPort. So the question is - is the mDP good for something? Quick search made me think it's some Apple thing,probably with very limited amount of monitors supporting it. And about HDMI - connecting modern monitor should be straight forward,no doubts about that,but question is about latency,does the connection create any noticable delay on picture?
Also about hardware,I'm more looking into 22-24" range - fullHD would be minimum,but I would like more resolution and preferably better refresh rate. What would be good options these days?
DisplayPort is the goto port.

It's standard, more advanced than HDMI (in all their versions over time). It supports higher resolution, at higher Hz, and can be converted to any other display output (with passive or active adapters).

That said, use the cheaper one if you want, for your use case it probably won't matter at all.
Well,after some looking around,I decided to pick up Asus VG248 with fullHD resolution and 144Hz refresh rate. Today I got it and hooked up,looks really great,LFS deffinitelly is smoother on 144Hz. Now on the bad side - the smooth picture in LFS works only exclusively when duplicating screens. When extending,it deffinitelly has some stuttering,doesn't matter what framerate,v-sync makes it even worse - causes huge framerate drop too. After quick research in internets I found out that only solution to not-smooth picture is to duplicate screens (which works perfectly). Isn't there any other options? Well,other than making the external one as main and laptop's screen as extended one - from the same threads I understand that would also solve "the problem",but I really would like to have the the monitor as extended screen and use it also for LFS. Is there anything in settings I could have missed out?

(3 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG