The online racing simulator
question of units of spring rate
in LFS, the unit of spring rate is kn/M, but the spring rate we usually use is "K", how could I change it from kn/M to K value plz?Smile
The force is displayed in LFS as kN/m (kiloNewton per meter).
K is pounds per inch, no ?
#3 - Racon
IIRC, The actual values used are not 1:1 with reality - you can't just get a real car setup, plug in the right numbers and have the LFS car setup exactly the same as the real car. Everything is correct relative to everything else, but not absolutely correct.

Ie, 9 Ns/mm of damping does not mean that LFS is simulating 9 Ns/mm on that component, only that it is more than if you had set it to 8 and less than if you had set it to 10.

Given that, I'd prefer it myself if the units were unspecified or made up. '9 units' and '9 Ns/mm' are identical as far as setups are concerned, but it labels the fact that it's not a 1:1 real value.
Quote from Racon :IIRC, The actual values used are not 1:1 with reality - you can't just get a real car setup, plug in the right numbers and have the LFS car setup exactly the same as the real car. Everything is correct relative to everything else, but not absolutely correct.

Ie, 9 Ns/mm of damping does not mean that LFS is simulating 9 Ns/mm on that component, only that it is more than if you had set it to 8 and less than if you had set it to 10.

Um are you sure about that? Where have you heard this? I'm fairly confident the devs took their time to make sure the units are accurate. You think they aren't capable of that? Cus you know they only made the most realistic car game ever and while it's perfect they are still perfecting the authenticy of the tires. It's a pretty bold statement to say that they essentially eyeballed the units..

Let me guess, this info is from someone who measured up the ride height versus the weight of the car and said "nope". Well then they don't know what they're doing and forgot to take control arm leverage into account.

BTW: If everything is correct relative to everything else, then everything is simply correct lol

Quote from Flotch :The force is displayed in LFS as kN/m (kiloNewton per meter).
K is pounds per inch, no ?

no K stands for kg/mm. 10K spring means 10kg/mm which translates to 100 n/mm in LFS (roughly)
#5 - Racon
Easy tiger, IIRC = If I remember correctly, and there's no insult intended Wink I think it came from the man himself, in answer to something here on the forum.
Quote from Racon :Easy tiger, IIRC = If I remember correctly, and there's no insult intended Wink I think it came from the man himself, in answer to something here on the forum.

Well I guess you might remember correctly, if it was literally 12 years ago or if you misinterpreted the message. Because I have a very hard time believing this for a few reasons.
1. Keeping the units consistent is not a challenge. Especially not for a LFS developer.
2. People would have noticed if the units didn't correspond with each other.
3. Scawen wouldn't obsess over ultra realistic tyre physics if the units weren't consistent, that would make the work on the tire physics redundant.

Sorry didn't mean to come off offensive or nothing but I just don't buy this lol
Found it for you mate: https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1919640#post1919640

To me LFS feels like the best racing game ever due to the way the dynamism of the car is produced.. not necessarily the way every car behaves but I hope the next physics patch is gonna make it behave closer to reality. Realistic setups limitations would be great too.
Quote from Skytrill :Found it for you mate: https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1919640#post1919640

To me LFS feels like the best racing game ever due to the way the dynamism of the car is produced.. not necessarily the way every car behaves but I hope the next physics patch is gonna make it behave closer to reality. Realistic setups limitations would be great too.

And then I can confirm that it's a case of misinterpretation of what Scawen meant. With this message he didn't mean the units are inaccurate. He meant that the Scirocco has to run on a weird setup versous what it runs on IRL to make it feel the right way. And thus they found the flaws in the tire physics not in the units.
#9 - Racon
It was waaaaaaaay further back than a year. I can't find any sign of it through searching though. Who knows?
A little insight from Scawen would be interesting!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG