The online racing simulator
Overheating Brakes
(13 posts, started )
Overheating Brakes
We have tyre temps; why not brake temperatures as well?

Believe me, there is nothing worse than slamming the anchors on into a hairpin to find a big pedalfull of nothing ....scary!

When the brakes are used excessively, the pads can glaze and the fluid can boil leading to brake fade. You’ve got to get your foot of the brakes to allow them to cool before full performance returns.

E.g. I think this would lead to better racing between good safe racers, as the leading driver brakes might heat up while defending the line, while the following driver can be smoother allowing him to pass under braking more easily.

Might not be as good for lesser experienced racers as they come ploughing up your bottom when they get brake fade .
Wait for LFS to become more advanced. We've only just got tyre temps, and brake temps WILL follow at a later date.
#3 - ajp71
Lot if work, have patients, not really relevent for the typical short LFS races, but having said that I've known cars that have no brakes left after 15 minutes (but that's not supposed to happen, and is rather expensive )
I cooked the brakes on my old 306 once. Pedal went all mushy, and no amount of bleeding, changing discs and pads, rebuilding the master cylinder etc could cure it.

So I sold it It wasn't unsafe, just never felt as good as it had done...
^^^ Hahahahha

But yes, brakes heating up -- I agree.
Well the physics behind it should be reasonably similar to the tyre heating physics, with obviously just a few different constants in there (since we're talking about metal, not rubber, which have SLIGHTLY different heat characteristics).

So I don't actually think it would be a lot of new work to implement the heating. Making the temperature affect the brake strength (why we want brake temperatures in the first pace) would be the new work, but that just sounds like a simple curve job to me.
Assuming all the tyre heat stuff is abstract to start with, ofc Bob
Sounds like a good idea to me!
I like that
This would be very welcome feature
Yay!
Quote from tristancliffe :Wait for LFS to become more advanced. We've only just got tyre temps, and brake temps WILL follow at a later date.

Hm
+1 to this idea. Would be nice to have

Overheating Brakes
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG