The online racing simulator
practicing doesn't work
(67 posts, started )
Rekt
I remember being slow, clumsy and frustrated with LFS. Then I tried rallycross, and found how far you could throw the car sideways into a corner whilst still keeping control, and how important braking is to settling or upsetting the car into a corner. I went from crap to average, almost overnight.
Mouse and just buy good pedals, budget build if you want to be super competitive but if you want fell of the game buy cheap but branded quality wheel. But if you just want to be fast as possible practitcing with pedals and mouse should work.
Quote from Aw3som3G4m3rzYT :how do people expect someone to get better if they're failing to keep themselves on the road or close to the pack?

i sometimes get up at 4 a.m. and practice for a whole 8 hours, for about 3 weeks, and nothing happens
this makes me say "practicing doesn't do sh_t"

Often its trying to hard or too often that may stop you from progressing. Being relaxed and focused helps and the relaxed part is what can be missing. A big part is finding or making a setup that is just right for you. I only recently had managed to get into the 11s on bl2 fbm and that was thanks to a setup i was passed by a team mate,obvious the right driving lines and braking points are important but i had already learnt them from many laps

Relax and keep it fun and be have patience and you will improve
I think it's also his wheel maybe full trottle isn't full Smile

Maybe he should try mouse and trow that MS Wheel away.
Quote from RC-Maus :I think it's also his wheel maybe full trottle isn't full Smile

im not gonna throw hundreds of dollars into the bin just for another shit tactic thatll worsen my driving
Quote from RC-Maus :I think it's also his wheel maybe full trottle isn't full Smile

My clubport peds started doing that a few months ago I thought I was driving even worse than :facepalm:usual.

I have now knocked all the settings down to either 995 or -995 as my brakes were also slightly on all the time.

Can't really complain about the peds though as they must be atleast 4 years old.
Quote from Eclipsed :Which is probably like 2.3 stars better than your current wheel...

LOL sorry just caught back up to this thread. Well burnt, Rony. Rofl

@awesome Well, if you're not up to speed in terms of skill, no wheel will make you faster than your sidewinder. I listed the DFGT because its a pretty good industry standard - it can do whatever you ask it to do in today's modern sims, really. If you wish to splurge on a G29 or Fanatec, go ahead. But I'm telling you its not worth it right now.

In perspective, if you are just starting out in guitar, you won't jump straight into a 11k Gibson Custom shop Les Paul would you?
With your sidewinder, its kind of like you using your old granddad's guitar from the 90s that's worth 10p - something to get the feels on. Then you make a small, but noticable leap up to something better, like a Epiphone (or DFGT in this case).
Quote from MicroSpecV :LOL sorry just caught back up to this thread. Well burnt, Rony. Rofl

@awesome Well, if you're not up to speed in terms of skill, no wheel will make you faster than your sidewinder. I listed the DFGT because its a pretty good industry standard - it can do whatever you ask it to do in today's modern sims, really. If you wish to splurge on a G29 or Fanatec, go ahead. But I'm telling you its not worth it right now.

In perspective, if you are just starting out in guitar, you won't jump straight into a 11k Gibson Custom shop Les Paul would you?
With your sidewinder, its kind of like you using your old granddad's guitar from the 90s that's worth 10p - something to get the feels on. Then you make a small, but noticable leap up to something better, like a Epiphone (or DFGT in this case).

If he was 100% certain that he was going to commit to sim racing and obviously had some money to spare then it makes a big difference with a better wheel it just comes down to patience.

Id gone from using a ps3 pad for 5+ years then to a thrustmaster(cheaper 458 italia) and sucked back then onto my g27 and then started to improve but not right away. He would pick a second hand g27 up fairly cheap and a g29 is only cosmetically different as they are practically the same hardware apart from extra buttons on the g29

I was the same when learning to play a guitar, id hear the end result played by someone and wanted to play like that too quickly which then would knock my confidence and make me want to give up
I thought the Sidewinder was allright for its time - but then again the time we're talking about was 15 years ago so things have moved on a little, and maybe my memory is just a bit foggy. I remember its main drawback was being pretty fragile - especially if you have the, shall we say, enthusiasm of youth.

Mouse is not as bad as it sounds either. Really. It has a huge lack of input precision, and not knowing physically where steering begins and ends can throw you off a bit. But it has the advantage of allowing you to turn to whatever steering angle you want, which is helpful while experimenting with lines, and remove the important factor of leg/eye coordination - hand/eye alone is hard enough when you start.

Overall I don't think the controller is the biggest issue, plenty of fast people with all sort of controllers around, though of course the vast majority will happen to have mid to high-end wheels. The most important thing is to have something you trust, are comfortable with, and enjoy to some extend so that you can just learn the basics first.

Quote from bishtop :I was the same when learning to play a guitar, id hear the end result played by someone and wanted to play like that too quickly which then would knock my confidence and make me want to give up

Thumbs up

Sadly when you want to get good at something, you have to accept that things will be ugly for a few months/years. And accepting that can be very hard, and will make you want to give up. The best way to prevent that is to find enjoyment even though your level is not what you want it to be. But overall to get good you just have to put on the hours, make mistakes, and find out what works for you. The road may not be linear, and some will get there faster than others, but there is no real "shortcut".
I would highly suggest the DFGT as a wheel- I have it now. And don't be afraid to buy one broken, as I got mine for 22$ [otherwise i couldn't afford it] and it turned out to be a frayed USB cable. Soldiered it back and now it works absolutely perfectly. Only issue that I don't like is the knockoff paddles on the back and the pedals. Those 2 suck fr. Best to use the shifter on the side and map the paddles to 7 and 8[blinkers] and map the shoulder buttons to 0.[off blinkers]. Before the DFGT I had the Thrustmaster Enzo Ferrari, which does have FFB, but is quite loud. It did work well though, and had nice pedals. Those you can find used for around 50 bucks new. Hope this helps Big grin
Also the 900 degrees helps a lot. Only thing is try not to slide out much with it as it is hard to countersteer quickly as there is a lot more motion to be done.
Oh, Box box box! Haven't caught up with EB's videos in a while. thanks for reminding me Adam Tongue
also 1 thing which helped me a lot was a LFS Lazy and it's realtime info about your time, you can try difrent lines and exacly see how much they affect your time Smile

I think RC-Maus is on the money here. I found my first PC racing wheel last week in the basement (a Wingman Formula Force GP that you do not want) and after plugin the thing for nostalgia purpose and booting up LFS I realized I was way too slow on the straights only to find out that my throttle was only going around 75-80%.

Make sure the gauge of the pedals (Axe 2 & 3) reaches their maximum potential. If they don't, tweak the values on the right until they do! I hope this helps you out.

PS: Sorry for the quality of the pictures, I wasn't realizing I was on VR and that the screen wouldn't be centered.
Attached images
lfs_00000118.png
lfs_00000120.png
Some good advice covering aspects of driving etc and hardware though most importantly for myself was and is to always try to practice/compete with someone above your skill level ;

practicing doesn't work
(67 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG