The online racing simulator
PC Requirements for dedicated client
Hey all,

Been trying to find any discussion about this, but only seem to come across info related to building a full client gaming machine.

However, I want to create a server for a dedicated LFS client. I did some tests with an old laptop of mine and was successful in the configuration to get the server listed and could connect just fine and race on it - but I have no way to verify if it can handle a full group of racers.

Considering a computer is reasonably current with at least 8gb memory and a 7200rpm hard drive with the dedicated client running, is my main consideration going to be my upload speed that will determine if it will adequately manage races? I have the formula to determine the max settings based on the upload speed. I'd like to have some idea if there are other things to consider before I try to get a full field of racers in a session. Love to hear any thoughts...

--StabnSteer
You're running DCon, correct? Out of curiousity, what CPU is the 'server'? I know the DCon is very lightweight and usually won't take much ram (or CPU usage), but I haven't tried to host with a full server.

Also, congrats on the first forum post! Wink
Thanks! Amazing my first post is now...I bought LFS back around 2006. Smile

I'd like the processor to be something like an Intel I5 due to their affordability. The test laptop I used to verify I could figure out how to set up the server and ports is an AMD E2 1800. However, I want to get a dedicated box that will sit hard-wired to my router. The AMD seemed happy...but there was only me on the server. Smile

--Stabnsteer
DCon is really not resource hungry at all,every potato PC can run it as long as nothing else overloads CPU and RAM. Basically all you need is proper connection,anything above 10Mbit (in both directions) should work fine,15Mbit if you really manage to get full server.
Sounds good - thanks for the feedback. I run around 20Mbit upload, so we'll see how things go. Cheers!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG