The online racing simulator
Quote from " :

The way I had it working, was good for a beta test and getting it to work. Hopefully time spent once, setting this up by swapping the cfg.txt will save time at each event dong this over and over again.

Would be easier if when loading a driver it would load up a cfg.txt file of the same name, or name specified in driver's file.

Yes I think this should save time. I'm really interested to know if the audio and controller devices really are recognised, and always the same one when you restart with the correct cfg file.

Also there may be another benefit. As the window position is also stored within the cfg file. Maybe it's possible the LFS instance will go to the correct monitor as well? We'll see.

BUT... for your test you might like to wait a little, because I am trying something that I hope will do away with any file renaming at all. The driver name and setup is also stored in the cfg.txt so it really is the key. This morning I am trying to implement a new command for the command line /settings=cfg_1.txt so that instead of using cfg.txt it would use cfg_1.txt (or whatever name you choose).

So then you will be able to start your LFS instances with a shortcut (or command in batch file) like this:

LFS.exe /settings=cfg_1.txt

And that will load the cfg_1.txt when starting up. Also any settings you change while LFS is running would also be saved in cfg_1.txt, ready to be used the next time you start that instance.
Quote from Scawen :I don't know a way to create a real driver crash (or restart the Nvidia driver)

The best way I know to do it is to overclock the graphics card beyond its limits. It will not crash directly, but when LFS gets the focus, the GPU will try to go at full speed and will crash. I know that when using MSI Afterburner, the driver will recover and the GPU will get back at stock speed, so it might be enough to test.
Quote from Scawen :
Quote from " :

The way I had it working, was good for a beta test and getting it to work. Hopefully time spent once, setting this up by swapping the cfg.txt will save time at each event dong this over and over again.

Would be easier if when loading a driver it would load up a cfg.txt file of the same name, or name specified in driver's file.

Yes I think this should save time. I'm really interested to know if the audio and controller devices really are recognised, and always the same one when you restart with the correct cfg file.

Also there may be another benefit. As the window position is also stored within the cfg file. Maybe it's possible the LFS instance will go to the correct monitor as well? We'll see.

BUT... for your test you might like to wait a little, because I am trying something that I hope will do away with any file renaming at all. The driver name and setup is also stored in the cfg.txt so it really is the key. This morning I am trying to implement a new command for the command line /settings=cfg_1.txt so that instead of using cfg.txt it would use cfg_1.txt (or whatever name you choose).

So then you will be able to start your LFS instances with a shortcut (or command in batch file) like this:

LFS.exe /settings=cfg_1.txt

And that will load the cfg_1.txt when starting up. Also any settings you change while LFS is running would also be saved in cfg_1.txt, ready to be used the next time you start that instance.

I have one wire loom for each seat, with that seats wheel, audio , and video cable. So this should work, as they should never be mixed up... other then me plugging each into a different video/usb port in the computer itself, which shouldn't matter.

SAVEing to the same config file will help greatly, as I was worried about getting the right values into the cfg file the first time, opening/closing, then the inevitable screwing up and doing it again...

If it does work, that may save enough time, that it wont even matter if I have to reboot from the black screens.

This all helps a great deal, because 9 times out of 10 when I am setting up the instances wheels etc, someone is there talking to me about how awesome the trailer is they cannot wait to race etc... etc.. and this is why I tend to screw up and have to do it again. Smile

Now I can use that time to setup team speak properly, if/when I need it.
I mostly just need them to be able to hear ME while they are wearing head phones.
So, if anyone knows of better software to do that, please let me know. (it has to work offline)

After trying so many different setups, I forget; Does
/host=hostname
and
/mp=IP#
work in the command line or main config file?
I think that is what I was using to get them all to auto-join each other, except I did it in one of the player#.cfg files that swapped out.

Thanks again!
This seems to be going well, so I hope to be able to upload a test in a few hours.

Answers to some of your questions:

/host=hostname does work in the command line. There is no equivalent in the cfg.txt file.

So for the host you could use something like:

LFS.exe /settings=cfg_host.txt /host=hostname

The /mp=IP# command does not work as a command line option. Maybe you can do auto join using the autoexec.lfs script. I think you won't need to rename it for each instance, you could have a static one.

So your guests would use:

LFS.exe /setttings=cfg_guest1.txt (etc)

And there would be a static autoexec.lfs in the scripts folder with one command /mp=x.x.x.x
Quote from Scawen :Well, I don't really need advice on prioritisation.

I'd like very much to work on the tyre physics, because of all the possibilities it will open up, but currently I am working on the graphical updates, more shaders for Eric to use.

In fact, LFS does need graphical updates as it gets the most criticism in that area, unfairly at times. Comments along the lines of "LFS is from 2002 and hasn't had a single update since then, therefore it has shit graphics". Typical comment from someone who doesn't even have a look to see how far it has come. But in truth there is quite a lot of modernisation that needs to be done, and I'm doing the things that allow Eric to make some significant improvements.

As I've pointed out before, most people have one thing they think is most important. That may be graphics, physics, autocross objects, changing weather, network security, etc. And it seems many of these people find it totally incredible that I am not devoting all my time to their own favourite issue. In fact, all these things need to be worked on and they are all challenging. Luckily I enjoy working on them so we'll get there eventually.

It's not really good advice to ask me not to prevent a crash issue that is badly affecting someone, when it might only take a day or two to fix. So as I said, I'll have a look into it.

Just read this and every time i read "graphical updates" i think to myself, "please... PLEASE don't forget about the players with a potato computer!"

Graphics might not be iRacing level, but look at it! Intel Core i3, 8gb ram, 10gb disk space! I run LFS on a single core amd 64, 1gb ram, and 1gb is used by LFS...
Quote from TechEdison :Just read this and every time i read "graphical updates" i think to myself, "please... PLEASE don't forget about the players with a potato computer!"

Graphics might not be iRacing level, but look at it! Intel Core i3, 8gb ram, 10gb disk space! I run LFS on a single core amd 64, 1gb ram, and 1gb is used by LFS...

There's no risk of that as part of the reason so many people remain attached to LFS is because it has always been able to run on relatively low-spec machines. I'd go as far as saying it's always been one of the core foundations of LFS' development.

Just because PCs are becoming more powerful doesn't mean your applications have to use all of that power to perform at an adequate level. LFS is a classic case in point.
OK, here is the test patch. I don't recommend it for everyone, as some lighting has been removed from some of the objects in the more recently updated tracks (WE / BL / RO).

Please backup your version R LFS.exe so you can return to that version at any time.

EDIT : UPDATED TO R7 ON 24 OCTOBER

NOTE :

When you first run this test patch there will be a hang of around
40 seconds while the old .raw files are converted to .png files.

NOTE2 :

Due to various updates, the rendered lighting has been removed from
modelled objects in the game. This can only be fixed by supplying
freshly rendered tracks but this is just a small test patch.

Installation :

A FULL version of LFS 0.6R must already be installed

To install the PATCH :

1) Move or save the patch into your main LFS folder
2) Double click the patch to extract it to that folder
3) When you see "Confirm File Replace" select "Yes to All"
4) Now you can start LFS in the normal way

NOTE : You can see if the patch is correctly installed when you run
the program (LFS.exe). At the bottom of the entry screen : 0.6R5

Changes from 0.6R to 0.6R5 :

Textures :

PNG files are now used in the few cases where RAW files were used
Removed option to view sky in 16-bit colour
Sky now uses DDS (compressed) textures

Commands :

Improved processing of command line to be more flexible
New command /settings=X.txt - uses X.txt instead of cfg.txt
Command /settings must be the first on command line or in file
Command /mp (join local host) can now be used on the command line

Misc :

Live for Speed can now recover from a graphics driver error
LFS starting in borderless window mode now goes to the same monitor
Textures are no longer reloaded when changing weather (avoids hang)
New option "Display LFS logo in game" (not optional in demo mode)
English file is no longer saved when LFS starts (can be deleted)

VR :

New commands to skip F8 menu /vr reset_headset and /vr use_relative

Download :

https://www.lfs.net/file_lfs.php?name=LFS_PATCH_6R_TO_6R7.exe (1 MB)
Oh no official test forum?
No, I am not expecting to do a series of test patches leading to a release at this time.

I have been working on more advanced shaders recently. They are unfinished and they are not included in this test patch.

This test patch lacks any real graphical updates and in fact looks worse in places because of the incompatible lighting.

It is really a test patch for the graphics driver crash recovery system and the /settings command which may help SimulatorRental.com
Aha
Still need to take it to the trailer to test, but setting up what I can at home first.

The /mp 192.168.1.101 63392 seems to work in the default autoexect file, it just errors out once for the host, saying it is not meant for this screen or something, but works. Better to have one error, then constantly write a new autoexec to my SSD Drive and wear it out Wink

Loading it up so far, it used my players and car colors without me having to change them... hopefully it still remembers the wheels form last time and I wont have to do that either...

Need to setup and test 2nd computer then I will be offline testing at trailer storage location for a while.

I have an event early in the morning, that a potential BIG Corporate client is coming to see the simulator in action (Detroit Grand Prix). How bad are the shading issues? (have not driven around yet)
I don't think the shading issues are too bad. It's mostly stuff like polygon objects that are in a shadow will be illuminated as if they are not in a shadow. That should only affect BL, WE and RO.
Quote from Scawen :
New option "Display LFS logo in game" (not optional in demo mode)

Just one thing about this: if I choose to display that logo in game and choose to display track map on left side instead of right, that track map will go over that logo. It does not go on top of that lfs.net-text however.

Is this on purpose? I mean that sometimes it may be better to display track map on left side instead of right to display qualifying/race results and track map at the same (yes, I know that I can use Ctrl+Tab to alter between those two).

Attached one image about this
Attached images
LFS_2017-10-20_21-53-38.png
Thanks for the feedback.

About the recovery from a restarted graphics driver. If that happens LFS should hang for a few seconds while it reloads textures, then it should display this message:

"Recovered from D3D device error" (in yellow).

Then it does rebuilding and generating for a few more seconds.
I just went to trailer and quickly set it up.

It does not seem to be loading or saving the config file. It continues to use the cfg.txt

What might I be doing wrong?

When does it save to each config file? As soon as a change is made, or while exiting program?

START UP BAT FILE:

@ECHO OFF

REM **********
cls
ECHO Loading LFS For Player 1...
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "LFS Player 1 (HOST)" /high /affinity C00 C:\LFS_MAIN\LFS_A.exe /cfg=C:\LFS_MAIN\Player_1.txt /settings=C:\LFS_MAIN\cfg_Player_1.txt /host=VirtualRaceways
timeout /t 10 /nobreak

REM **********
cls
ECHO Loading LFS For Player 2...
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "LFS Player 2" /high /affinity 300 C:\LFS_MAIN\LFS_B.exe /cfg=C:\LFS_MAIN\Player_2.txt /settings=C:\LFS_MAIN\cfg_Player_2.txt
timeout /t 5 /nobreak

REM **********
cls
ECHO Loading LFS For Player 3...
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "LFS Player 3" /high /affinity C0 C:\LFS_MAIN\LFS_C.exe /cfg=C:\LFS_MAIN\Player_3.txt /settings=C:\LFS_MAIN\cfg_Player_3.txt
timeout /t 5 /nobreak

REM **********
cls
ECHO Loading LFS For Player 4...
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "LFS Player 4" /high /affinity 30 C:\LFS_MAIN\LFS_D.exe /cfg=C:\LFS_MAIN\Player_4.txt /settings=C:\LFS_MAIN\cfg_Player_4.txt
timeout /t 5 /nobreak

REM **********
cls
ECHO Loading LFS For Player 9...
C:\Windows\System32\cmd.exe /c start "LFS Player 9" /high /affinity 3000 C:\LFS_MAIN\LFS_D.exe /cfg=C:\LFS_MAIN\Player_9.txt /settings=C:\LFS_MAIN\cfg_Player_9.txt
timeout /t 5 /nobreak
just noticed this...

New command line /settings=X.txt - uses X.txt instead of cfg.txt
If using /settings it must be the first command on the command line
If using a command file then /settings must be the first command
OK I got it working now.... I will test it in action during the event in the morning.

It does appear to be saving screen locations, which I think should work for monitors.

This makes things SOOOO much easier...

My only worry now, would be maybe making a change in the graphics settings that I want on ALL players, and forgetting to change one of them... will just have to be carful NOT to do that.

Thanks Again!
OK, pleased you got it working and I hope it goes well at this morning's event.

Does it seem to remember the correct audio device and steering wheel?

One thing, if a recovery event takes place, as mentioned there will be a yellow message on screen "Recovered from D3D device error" and also the same message is written in the deb.log file in case you weren't looking at the screen at the time.

I'd be interested to know if that happens for real as I've only done these artificial tests where a key press made LFS pretend there was an error.
I fixed it while back at home, will be testing wheel/audio memory at event.

Will keep an eye on the log and for the d3d error recovery.

Will be back in about 12 hours.
OK, I don't know if you have gone already but it would be best to get 0.6R5 I've just posted above.

It now starts on the correct monitor that you exited on (if using the borderless window mode).

With previous versions, if you pressed SHIFT+F11 to go to full screen borderless window mode, it would go to the nearest monitor (closest match to the current LFS window). But if you exited in that state, then when you restarted it would always go to the default monitor.

With 0.6R5 it does successfully restart on the same monitor if you previously exited LFS in full screen borderless window (SHIFT+F11) mode.

0.6R5 : https://www.lfs.net/forum/post/1929543#post1929543
Bitdefender 2018 Advanced Threat Defence blocking the LFS Self extracting files. The same with Q14 like with R5 and R.

I guess the LFS Logo left up will be removed when a Test Patch for all released.
I don't know why your threat defence is blocking the extractor. Maybe simply because you are trying to run an exe you have downloaded and it's not a special installer exe.

You can switch off the logo at the bottom of misc options.
Sure it is a False Positive and i can disable the security software and running the Setup File. But it is not only because running a exe file. I used today other exe files from the internet. I am testing sometimes some software and have no such Problems. And the Bitdefender tell that he is desinfecting something and if the installation was already started before the detection will also the LFS.exe in quarantine, and the Virus called: Gen.Atc4.Detection. It need alot CPU Time for this so called Desinfection. Maybe i should reporting the false positive.
If you search the internet you will find out that more people have the same problem with this program "Bitdefender".
Will the R5 patch install ok over R4? or does it need to be a vanilla R?

I had already left with R4 installed.
I never got 5 installed, too difficult to do within trailer the way things are setup. I still do not have 5 installed, will try it tonight/tomorrow.

5 Minutes after setting it up, the main computer went to black screen. I left it there for a while, but it never recovered. I checked the .log after this, and it did log the loss of D3D drivers etc... but there was nothing about recovering. It did say something about unable to install or load something. But I do not remember what it said. Log seems to truncate each time LFS boots. Maybe it should just add the next log to tail of the file? with a bit **************** between logs? Maybe it can just keep the last 10 boots, to avoid mega file size logs?
-- this is odd though because it saved log entries from all 4 instances...

It never black screened after that, ran very good.

It remembered what screen the instances were on (not in SHFT F11 mode), if they all loaded in full screen on the same/main screen, pressing SHFT F11 reduced it in size, but also moved it to the correct screen, so simply pressing SHFT F11 again, put it in full screen on the correct monitor.

Wheels and headphones kept working with the correct instance.
I have not unplugged the cables and tried again though, only just now thought to try it.

I love the improvements, totally killed all the annoying steps to get things working.

Update: Virtual Raceways: Multi-Instance use LFS, may need help from Scawen.
(264 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG