The online racing simulator
Clutch pack preload?
(136 posts, started )
Are you insane? The best setting is quite clearly 30% power, 50% coast and 70Nm preload! Why are you trying to deceive him? :rolleyes:
You're both expelling verbal (textual?) poo, obviously 66% power, 33% coast and 180nm of preload.... Everyone knows that!111
Are you saying that with an open diff all torque will go to the wheel that is in the air? That's not true. Both wheels get the same amount of torque, which isn't much because the one in the air can't take much.
Yes - with an open diff, both get the same torque, limited to the lower value of what either wheel can take.

The maximum torque the wheel in the air can take is what it takes to accelerate the wheel (very small torques, call it zero), so the other wheel also receives zero.
Yeah, took me a while till I got that

One thing you have to understand is that you need resistance to be able to apply torque. A nice analogy is to imagine you're changing a tyre and are about to remove the screws. As long as the screw still fits tight and is not loose you can apply a lot of torque, but when the resistance goes away so does your ability to apply torque. You can suddenly rotate the screw really fast, but you cannot really do it with much force behind it.

So if the wheel starts spinning it doesn't get more torque, but the opposite - it gets much less. What it does get is all the power which is used to make the wheel spin fast.
I'm just wondering that those explanations are for racing, but there is any explanation for drifting after 10 years ? Big grin
The same concepts apply to drifting. It's still the same system.
Quote from sarxes :I'm just wondering that those explanations are for racing, but there is any explanation for drifting after 10 years ? Big grin

Quote from Forbin :The same concepts apply to drifting. It's still the same system.

Lol this has to be the oldest thread bumped I've ever seen on any forums...

Whopping 10 years, you guys win the award in my book! Rofl
Quote from TechEdison :Lol this has to be the oldest thread bumped I've ever seen on any forums...

Whopping 10 years, you guys win the award in my book! Rofl

I commend him on actually searching for info before opening a new thread titled "Plz xplan diffs!" and spamming another 4 posts because he didn't get an answer within 5 minutes... Cool

Forbin is right, the (detailed) explanations in this thread apply to whatever type of driving you like. Since two people even with the same goal will seldomly agree on one specific setting only you can find one that you like, but the wisdom contained in these posts should enable you to take your setup in the right direction rather than wildly guessing (and consequently giving up).
Quote from bbman :I commend him on actually searching for info before opening a new thread titled "Plz xplan diffs!" and spamming another 4 posts because he didn't get an answer within 5 minutes... Cool

Forbin is right, the (detailed) explanations in this thread apply to whatever type of driving you like. Since two people even with the same goal will seldomly agree on one specific setting only you can find one that you like, but the wisdom contained in these posts should enable you to take your setup in the right direction rather than wildly guessing (and consequently giving up).

I read this topic years ago , but I was digging a bit deeper with the calculations for the best LSD settings for drifting and racing, but I didn't find the best explanation (formula) which would get me closer to the final result I want.

The Power/Coast doesn't really explained by the creaters of LFS that actually limits the engine power to the differential or it's the behavior of the diff. under those settings. How can you determinate the coast for example ? I didn't get those answers, because many people answered them but all in different way and the conclusion it's not the same at all ...

That's the reason I bumped this thread again. I didn't see the case to open a new thread , because probably there are people who are interested in it like me and ppl who know the answer.

I hope that I gave the aswer why after 10 years brought back to life this question.
Long story short, ignore anyone who talks about wheel speed rather than torque when talking about clutch-pack LSD. Clutch packs are torque-sensitive. The one in LFS is modeled after a Salisbury LSD. Look up something called Torque Bias Ratio.

The viscous LSD is speed-sensitive.

What is the result you want? Why not try experimenting?

Clutch pack preload?
(136 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG