The online racing simulator
POV-Ray 3.7 Renders
(14 posts, started )
POV-Ray 3.7 Renders
Hi:

After some years using this game, I decided to put to use my POV-Ray skills to render some LFS cars. Here is the first one, the FXR.

Credits:

+ Model exported from blender "Ready-To-Render kit" by Bogey Jammer
+ Martini skin by teaz-R

Hope you like it... regards,

--
jaime
Attached images
lfs-fxr-garage-02.jpg
Yes, I do like it!

There's a few rough edges, but nothing a few higher res bitmaps couldn't fix. You could also try breaking certain parts out to vary their shininess too (looking at those carbon-fibre bits in particular)...

Looking forward to seeing more Smile
Quote from Shirtkicker :Yes, I do like it!

There's a few rough edges, but nothing a few higher res bitmaps couldn't fix. You could also try breaking certain parts out to vary their shininess too (looking at those carbon-fibre bits in particular)...

Looking forward to seeing more Smile

Thanks... and yes, I should put a bit more work on textures/materials. I'm still identifying them all to try to put correct values for each one.

Regards,

--
jaime
If you're not done with FXRs yet, would you mind throwing this on it to see how it looks?

Cheeky, I know. Big grin Don't sweat it if you have other things to do.
Attached images
FXR_meanneon.jpg
Quote from Shirtkicker :If you're not done with FXRs yet, would you mind throwing this on it to see how it looks?

Cheeky, I know. Big grin Don't sweat it if you have other things to do.

I've created a POV-Ray scene setup that lets me change the car just changing 1 line, so it's easy. I've left out the nice area shadows and focal blur for this test, as it would take too long to render. BTW, that skin is mind-blowing (literally). Smile
Attached images
lfs-fxr-garage-meanneon.jpg
That looks so good! Thanks for that Smile

I've always wondered what some of my weirder skins would look like rendered...

So shiny! Cool
Quote from Shirtkicker :That looks so good! Thanks for that Smile

I've always wondered what some of my weirder skins would look like rendered...

So shiny! Cool

Speaking of weird skins... look at the attached one. Though is technically not a skin, just a procedural POV-Ray texture over the car body.

--
jaime
Attached images
lfs-fzr-garage-06.jpg
Does POV-Ray have a UV unwrapper that you could use to translate that texture to a flat bitmap? Because that would open up so many possibilities for interesting skins Smile
Quote from Shirtkicker :Does POV-Ray have a UV unwrapper that you could use to translate that texture to a flat bitmap? Because that would open up so many possibilities for interesting skins Smile

Now that you mention it... yes, it has something called "mesh camera" which allows to "bake" an UV map (among many other interesting uses). I didn't use it for years, but I guess it should not be difficult to adapt my old lightmap baking experiments to do this. I think it's worth the effort as it will allow to make bitmap skins like in the attached pics.

--
jaime
Attached images
lfs-fzr-garage-08.jpg
lfs-fzr-garage-09.jpg
Quote from Shirtkicker :Does POV-Ray have a UV unwrapper that you could use to translate that texture to a flat bitmap? Because that would open up so many possibilities for interesting skins Smile

Voilà...

Edit: I forgot to add a license to these skins... consider them public domain, you can use them for anything you want.

--
jaime
Attached images
FZR_JVP_CAMOUFLAGE.jpg
FZR_JVP_SPECTRUM1.jpg
FZR_JVP_LAVACRACKLE.jpg
I have a feeling that this could be incredibly useful!

You could be opening up an entirely new chapter in LFS skinning, Jaime! Thumbs up
Quote from Shirtkicker :I have a feeling that this could be incredibly useful!

You could be opening up an entirely new chapter in LFS skinning, Jaime! Thumbs up

Well, I would not say so much, but yes, it opens up a bit the possibilities.

--
jaime
You can do same in blender aswell, and I guess many other 3d editors. You can apply 3d textures and many other things. That's how people made their own ambient light textures, for example.

Now a question: how did you make fenders look so round, or is the picture just that small enough?

I remember I wanted to try to remake the 3d model to have more polygons at the fenders, but ended up dropping that due to difficulties trying to keep UV layout in place.
Quote from vitaly_m :You can do same in blender aswell, and I guess many other 3d editors. You can apply 3d textures and many other things. That's how people made their own ambient light textures, for example.

Yes, I know... but POV-Ray has some unique capabilities for procedural texturing.

Quote :Now a question: how did you make fenders look so round, or is the picture just that small enough?

I did nothing... just exported from Blender to OBJ, and then used Poseray to convert that into a POV-Ray mesh. Poseray is an excellent converter, so maybe it did some magic with POV-Ray smooth triangles. Or maybe POV-Ray has a good implementation of smooth triangles.

--
jaime

POV-Ray 3.7 Renders
(14 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG