The online racing simulator
LFS on Steam - Poll
(247 posts, started )

Poll : Should LFS be sold on Steam

Closed since :
No, LFS should not be sold on Steam
Yes, LFS should be sold on Steam
Back form the dead... The community is SOO small with the majority being in Europe. In NA, it's extremely hard to find any games other than drift or cruise because there are no players. Gone are the days that I could come home after work and logon to IHR or Cargame and fight to get a spot on the server because there was a 40 racer grid.
well, why not sell on Steam.
The sales would possible double.

Games like Automobilista sell on steam, so this one would too.
Why is this game not on Steam?
millions of people download free to play games on steam every day, they can start with the demo and perhaps we will get some licensed drivers added to this game once they decide to get some licenses.
But yea if the developers are not interested in money, i dont blame them.
The amount of people playing is a bit on the low side.
Quote from hosep :Why is this game not on Steam?
millions of people download free to play games on steam every day, they can start with the demo and perhaps we will get some licensed drivers added to this game once they decide to get some licenses.
But yea if the developers are not interested in money, i dont blame them.
The amount of people playing is a bit on the low side.

It's a bloody good game too.
And runs on a toaster.
I think it would do very well on steam.
Maybe even to the point of reviving online races.
Steam Sales Bring Whales
Ya'll just want to buy it on sale, admit it! Big grin
Get on steam with workshop support for cars and tracks. Anything is better than the current situation.
The fact that most people voted NO in this pool makes me cringe so hard.
Let's think about it for a second. Being on Steam, the game would sell more copies at first, then more than half of those who just bought it would probably down-vote it by saying things such as "graphic looks ps2, pcars is twice as cheap and got 10 times more cars" or "Need for Speed is better cuz you can upgrade your cars", "driving sux it's too hard" and that kind of stuffs. Imagine the legion of frustrated players from the last ten years that would bash the game on first sight because for some a racing sim is like a religion; you can only worship one at a time and hate the others. Then this unique gem of a sim with long term support and high replayability would end at the bottom of the Steam racing category because most people want eye candy when it comes to the racing genre and god knows the first impression decide whether or not a person love or hate a game. Those still interested would wait for a sale (surprise) and those who missed the sale would wait for it to go on sale again because they've seen it on sale before so they'd rather wait for another sale to get it cheaper therefor, the game at normal price stagnate. Steam sales are probably the main reason people wants to see LFS over there. Sales are great when your 2 years old product support comes at an end and you want to boost sales while you can, but this game doesn't have that approach so sales could hurt it very much in the long term.

Now the Workshop? Even Assetto Corsa stays away from it because most of the mods would be ripped-off from other games or build-from-scratch mods (95% low quality model and questionable driving physics) of prestigious license that hasn't been paid with the problems that follow.

I already have LFS on Steam. I just added it as a non-steam game and I can launch it from there (yay!..) and the Steam overlay works just like any other official game on Steam. Beside dividing the forum from here to there, I don't see any major points.

LFS is the only commercial sim in development (as far as I know) that hasn't been swallowed by Steam. It makes it unique and I would go as far as to say that some people might have bought it especially because it doesn't depend of a third-party game launcher DRM that makes you agree to all sorts of new EULA every few months.

If the thread would be to put LFS on GoG (where a third party launcher is not mandatory), that might be more interesting as it would be the only driving simulator over there so it would have much better visibility. If Scavier could circonvent the DRM-free policy by providing a DRM-Free LFS that would require a key only for online racing or something like that, I guess that would be a better spot than ending in the Steam jungle.

I love Steam, I use it several times a week. However I couldn't care less that LFS is on Steam or not. What I care about is when I log to play in multiplayer and get nothing but cruising servers. Then I race on an empty server and eventually get tired and leave. Steam could solve this in short terms, but it's not a miracle solution.

I'm not saying LFS isn't nice visually btw. But some track shaders and more life around the track would make a greater impression to newcomers before having it on Steam.

I'm ready to get flamed because I did not praise the Mighty Gaben Smile
You are so lucky Scawen isn't troll like me.

I would create some corporation just for getting on steam, put the LFS there, and never ever let it go on sale. Gotcha! Big grin (although I don't know steam well, not using it, maybe it can force a game on sale on their own, then the plan would not work that well, except banning all people who bought it on sale and start a war with Gabe Smile ).

Meanwhile Scawen is probably instead working on the LFS. As I said, you are so lucky...
in LFS, money doesn't talk
NOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooooooo
This still needs serious consideration.
It's a great idea. But, maybe in the later updates.
If you put this game on steam and open it up to workshop mods it could become the most popular racing game in the world. Project Cars and AC don't do multiplayer as good as LFS and multiplayer games are the ones that draw in the huge player numbers on steam.
Quote from GerryTheLeper :If you put this game on steam and open it up to workshop mods it could become the most popular racing game in the world. Project Cars and AC don't do multiplayer as good as LFS and multiplayer games are the ones that draw in the huge player numbers on steam.

They will end up leaving once they see how slow updates come.

The problem is that in case LFS wants to make it to Steam, the whole infrastructure would need to change, and the devs would need to focus on it 24/7 (not like abandon their life totally, but mostly). Mods will make LFS last a little bit longer, but it won't last forever.

I'm not saying that bringing LFS to Steam is bad, but at its current status its better not to. It won't make things better.
Quote from Ibtasim6781 :They will end up leaving once they see how slow updates come.

The problem is that in case LFS wants to make it to Steam, the whole infrastructure would need to change, and the devs would need to focus on it 24/7 (not like abandon their life totally, but mostly). Mods will make LFS last a little bit longer, but it won't last forever.

I'm not saying that bringing LFS to Steam is bad, but at its current status its better not to. It won't make things better.

It can't make things worse so it would definitely be better. Yes players might leave, but at least some will stay. The vast majority of gamers don't even know LFS exists so even just having people playing it in steam friend's lists would promote the game better than now. I don't think much would need to change. Steam has zero quality control and there are a tonne of junk abandoned early access games so if the updates are slow it doesn't matter. Opening the game to the modding of real cars and tracks would pick up that slack and then some!

I just believe that there is currently a huge gap in the market for a good multiplayer racing sim because the multiplayer in all the current sims (outside of iRacing $$$$) are awful and LFS has a great system.
Quote from GerryTheLeper :It can't make things worse so it would definitely be better. Yes players might leave, but at least some will stay. The vast majority of gamers don't even know LFS exists so even just having people playing it in steam friend's lists would promote the game better than now. I don't think much would need to change. Steam has zero quality control and there are a tonne of junk abandoned early access games so if the updates are slow it doesn't matter. Opening the game to the modding of real cars and tracks would pick up that slack and then some!

I just believe that there is currently a huge gap in the market for a good multiplayer racing sim because the multiplayer in all the current sims (outside of iRacing $$$$) are awful and LFS has a great system.

People nowadays want content, content, content, content, content, And crysis 3 graphics.

At this current state, with so few cars and tracks, updates are rare (they are "major" but not that major) and no Mod Support (this and content itself): there wil be an increasing in player base? -There will be an increase, low and slow, but will increase (I do hope so). But at the same time a chunk of that will be lost because of the aforementioned lack of content. So you'll see the triple of threads demanding content, and updates.

A point for adding to steam are the paying methods Steam has, which will benefit a lot of people from almost every country.

I agree that LFS is really open when it comes to InSim and etc, and has some features that outstand other simulators (Clutch for example, altho it needs a bit of tweaking to it), but in terms of content its really falling behind.

LFS NEEDS this tyre physics update more than ever.
one point about updates is that it would only be an issue for those who would of exhausted the current possibilities of combo's of cars and tracks as physics wise its not some thing that is so bad that it requires them to be updated right away
Most of those that go on about new cars and new tracks have not even tried a quarter of the cars and tracks and in all probability would still not drive any new additions
I understand that devs are busy with RL things and stuff but why they can't make a crew with enthusiast from community which could help them? I believe there's alot of people who would like to do so.
I think gog.com would be good option to consider ase well now that they have the Galaxy client as well. I believe cost of using this service is much less for the game developers than Steam.
Putting LFS on Steam means extra cost, extra work to maybe adapt something to Steam rules, to adapt steam accounts to work on Live for Speed, and so on.

Adding LFS on Steam to have the modders workshop isn't something good, simply because LFS does not support mods. User's can modify the cars, but it's something not official. Scawen must do a lot of changes (I think) to have it working. And if it were easy, he would do already.

Payments are almost the same on Live for Speed website/resellers and Steam.

Maybe the only good point of adding LFS on Steam is the advertising. Many players just look the Steam Store for some car games, instead searching on google for it. It definitely can increase the online player, but as someone said maybe can also mean a lot of crashers and cheaters on servers.
I believe it would be a good choice to publish on Steam when we have modding support, finished S3 content and so on. That way popularity of LFS would increase.

LFS on Steam - Poll
(247 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG