The online racing simulator
LAN Connection Changes
(12 posts, started )
LAN Connection Changes
Hello everybody,

I'm not sure if already suggested, but I didn't find anything related. As far Pereulok and BRLok were took down, the number of players using IP Patcher increased significantly.

My suggestion is to completely remove the possibility to insert the IP Address manually on local multiplayer screen. Instead, the LFS.exe should search for opened servers based on player's network IP and/or gateway. It's already present on many games, and isn't something new.

It won't decrease current cracked communities, but at least will keep these communities stucked using 0.6R or older versions.
Will not make difference if they use hamachi
imo all these threads do is indirectly advertising readers to look for cracks
Quote from R0ut66 :Will not make difference if they use hamachi

Hamachi has it's own ip range, and not all players know how to change.

Quote from Gutholz :imo all these threads do is indirectly advertising readers to look for cracks

So, how you give suggestions to decrease cracked communities without saying the problem or mention the word "crack"?
Crackers could just set up a VPN with LAN address range. It would raise the bar a bit until somebody wrote up a step by step tutorial how to do it, it's not that difficult. I had been using this for years back in the days to fool various LAN range restrictions. "Fixing" LFS to make life more difficult for crackers treats the symptom, not the actual disease. Every copy protection mechanism gets broken sooner or later if there is enough people who want to break it.

A LAN server lookup feature would be a nice feature to have nonetheless.
Quote from Skinzinho :So, how you give suggestions to decrease cracked communities without saying the problem or mention the word "crack"?

your post basically tells ip patcher for 0.6r exists. why not post a link too, to save the hassle of having to google it.
It is as stupid as the posts where people listed illegal links to make a point that those exist. It just drives traffic to those places, there is no difference between:
"look, i made cracked thing - it is so nice!"
"look, someone made cracked thing - it is so evil!"
Quote from Gutholz :your post basically tells ip patcher for 0.6r exists. why not post a link too, to save the hassle of having to google it.
It is as stupid as the posts where people listed illegal links to make a point that those exist. It just drives traffic to those places, there is no difference between:
"look, i made cracked thing - it is so nice!"
"look, someone made cracked thing - it is so evil!"

I think you should think a bit before posting. This section in the forum is for improvement suggestions, and there's no rule telling that words like "crack", "ip" or whatever cannot be mentioned.

People wont download a fresh LFS and crack it just because they read "LAN", "IP" and "Crack" in the same phrase in this post. You're wrong. They search for it on Google, FB, YT, and many of them just dont know about this official forum.

And following your idea, you mentioned again "IP Patcher". Now a new community will grow based on your reply... Cause, of course, crackers wait the confirmation of a new patcher watching suggestions section...
I think Scawen all knows about this, it somehow is not on the priority list although he mentioned somewhere lately that he want to spend some time to tweak the master server.. I think that will be a good moment to tackle this problem as well.

I get the feeling that this section is rarely being read by development anyway.. They work on the fly on a specific part of LFS and everything which suits that same part of LFS is being worked on. So, ehrm, chances are higher that your request is being heard when there is actually work going on @netcode / connectivity.

Just wait for a new patch announcement. If any, somewhere this year.
Plan to update != working on
That said, the tyre update is the prefect time to add security, so its safe to say its being worked on, because we won't see anything until it is done. Here's to hoping that there's a big push before the summer slowdown.
I hope for the best but silence never was a good indicator for activity. So I don't "believe"... But ah well, it's legal in most countries to believe in whatever you want to believe Big grin

LAN Connection Changes
(12 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG