The online racing simulator
Temp IP ban or not?
(6 posts, started )
Temp IP ban or not?
Hello, sorry if this was asked before but I couldnt find it.
Im thinking about making a IP ban system that will keep banned IP in ban list for lets say one week.
My question is: how probable is the possibility of "innocent" user trying to join my server with same IP?
I was thinking to myself "LFS is dead anyway there is no chance of 2 people joining with same IP" but I might be terribly wrong here. What do you guys think?

Thanks,

Lakyn
I can get a new IP in seconds, like millions of people on a hostingprovider with dynIP addresses. So whats the use of it when you can already ban on username which is much more effective. Uh-hu
I can get new username in seconds, like everyone. How many people know how to change IP adress or will even bother?
Anyone have an actual answer to my question? Smile
If this is for a demo server, banning both by the username and IP is the only way make the ban actually effective. The question of cutting innocent people off is not that easy to answer. Some networks can hide a lot of computers behind NAT and an IP ban would affect everyone behind that NAT. Some university and corporate networks are structured like this.
Roger, not a good idea then Smile Thank you!
You can block a connection on the host, filtering IP from a white/black list. For a demo server, I don't believe you will get what you want simply because users with dynamic IP can change their IPs and create a demo account is easy as changing the IP.

Temp IP ban or not?
(6 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG