The online racing simulator
#1 - JEL
Edit/train/modify the AI robot-drivers (artificial intelligence) ?
Is there any option at all, that allows us end-users a method to edit, train or modify how the AI robot-drivers (artificial intelligence) behave?

I googled and learned that with previous versions of LFS you could 'train' the AI by letting them drive for long periods.

I also noticed that currently (in version 0.6R) only the track is updated in the 'knowledge' folder, but not the cars, when you have AI drive on a track.

Perhaps extra software that could be used to play around with the AI and would allow user-made scripts, or maybe even Nvidia's neural network stuff, to influence the AI's decisions and styles.

Something that would open up possibilities to experiment with the AI.

Thanks.
JEL
#3 - JEL
Quote from bobloblaw :This thread may be of interest: https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/63807-Artificial-Intelligence-in-Racing-Simulations-Project

There's no way to edit the AI short of reverse engineering LFS or creating your own AI to provide inputs, like blackbird is doing.

For best results driving with AI drive in low wind and have AI use player setup.

Thanks Smile

I'm looking at the thread you linked to... pretty advanced stuff...
From my initial gander at the thread it looks like (I haven't read it all yet, so maybe I'm mistaken) it will control a single user car.

My aim was to set up AI-races without any user-driving.

I can do that now, and the AI can indeed do some fairly interesting races already. But only up to a certain point, then they tend to get stuck in situations they can't get out of.

For example; they may pile up on the pit-entry lane, with out the skills to figure out how to drive around each other. Or they may puncture a tire and not be able to control acceleration and end up spinning around and around and around instead of easing off the throttle and limp back to pit. Little things like that, which always ends up destroying the races.

If I set up the cars to be firm on the track, they can drive for long periods, but then they never attack each other but end up driving a long snake-line.
If I set them up to be loose on the track, some very interesting battles can happen, but only for a short period before they start to get caught up in some of the problems I mentioned before.

So the goal is to make races that are interesting from a viewer-standpoint, but doesn't end up in the AI getting caught in some of those idiosyncrasies they aren't 'clever' enough to get out of.

I set up a Nascar-like race using 24 AI-driven FXOs (the car-setup makes all the difference on how the race turn out), and got a maximum of about 30 laps down before it evolved into a destruction-derby Smile
Some really cool battles happened in those first laps, but the AIs lack some abilities to keep it going beyond that (As soon as enough damage happens and slow traffic builds up, they eventually get caught in situations their logic can't deal with very well)
I don't think it's possible now. In fact, AI does a good job managing car conditions like available traction, rpm, g forces, and stuffs like, but they simple cannot manage objects on track, or how to recover from a crash.

AI definitely must be improved, but I don't think it's the priority for developers. Instead, the new tyre physics is the most important point now... But maybe in a near future, the offline experience will be improved with AI learning how you drive to improve itself.
#5 - JEL
@Skinzinho; I would be fun though, if the AI was not a 'closed system' but could be adjusted like we can adjust a lot of things on the cars.

Things like randomness, aggressiveness, favoring high or low race-line, etc.

But most of all I just wish they were 'clever' enough to not get stuck behind each other. I've done some more race-tests and if an AI breaks down while driving on the pit-entry or exit almost all the following AIs can't figure out to go around. They drive up to the back of the car that's stuck, then reverse a few meters, then drive back up to the stuck car, and they just continue to do this like a never-ending data-loop.

And then the spins when they have a flat tire and goes to hard on the throttle. It's like they continue to drive as if they 'think' they still have good tires.

So an 'open' AI system, perhaps a scriptable (where users can make their own scripts), would be fun to experiment with Smile
Considering LFS prides itself as being an ONLINE racing sim, I'm surprised there's even a single player option.

Yes, the AI is horrible, but I believe it's deliberate, to encourage people to go online. It's unlikely they will ever improve it, but one can dream.
#7 - Racon
Quote from CozmicDragon :Yes, the AI is horrible, but I believe it's deliberate, to encourage people to go online.

No, AI is hard. Reeeeaaaallllyyyy hard.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG