The online racing simulator
#1 - mo010
G27 Broken Wheel Position Sensor
Ok, so recently my G27 stopped responding to steering input. I've had this problem before, but I fixed it by tightening a screw on one of the motors as suggested in this link.

Anyway, when the same thing happened again. I assumed it would be the same fix. That wasn't the case. As it turned out, the position feedback sensor's slitted wheel was cracked in three areas. Thus it was loose on the shaft and not doing its job. I read somewhere that superglue-ing it to the shaft should be a sufficient fix. Long story short, I messed it up. Glue got in slits, and I attempted to clear the slits by the use of a needle. This led to permanently damaging this part. Anyway, my only fix now seems that I need to get a replacement part. Any ideas?

I tried calling Logitech, but they don't sell these parts separately, and I can't have them fix it because the wheel is out of warranty. They offered me a new wheel half price though. Which is a nice gesture, but I'm not paying $150 because of a little plastic part that shouldn't cost more than $1.

Pics of the part

the other FFB (DFP, DFGT, Driving Force Ex?) wheels from Logitech use that sort of optical sensor too, maybe something from a cheaper wheel fits the G25.

take a look at ebay
*After hours of scrolling through big pictures of broken plastic*

Your best bet is to look for the cheapest wheel you can find on the internet (G25/27 (same stuff)) and get the part out of it. I doubt you can only buy that part.

Your next best bet is to look for a new wheel and go away from Plastitech?
+1 to replace wheel or get another for parts. You can make that kind of disk by printing the pattern on transparent plastic but its tricky and you would probably need to make other parts to mount it. More here near bottom of page.
Kind of looks like the senor found in an old ball mouse, looks a little bigger though.
#6 - mo010
Yeah, there aren't that many options for broken wheels on eBay. Even then it's still gonna add up to at least $80 with shipping.

Quote from stan.distortion :+1 to replace wheel or get another for parts. You can make that kind of disk by printing the pattern on transparent plastic but its tricky and you would probably need to make other parts to mount it. More here near bottom of page.

This seems like a route I could go with, except I'm not sure about the printing part. I did find this website though. You basically email them the drawings and they manufacture it and ship it out. I'm not sure about the price though.

I did a rough model of the part, but I'm not sure about the accuracy, as I did the measurements with a standard plastic ruler. I would probably need one of those electronic micro rulers to have more accurate dimensions. I'm gonna try and CNC the part out of Aluminum.

Model render
Would check that site for a quote, if you just get a flat disc cut it could work out cheap. Failing that could try a printers for the same kind of thing, the heaviest self adhesive print of the wheel they can do and stick it to a transparent sheet. Was going to say a CNC aluminium one would be overkill but if you can supply a toolpath file it would cut down a lot of the cost. Not sure what you did the render with, some 3d modellers can output toolpaths, usually in gcode and usually needing a lot of manual tweaking to match different machines though :/
Find a CNC cutting shop, and make exact blueprints to cut that part out. It should be good as new.
Replacement optical encoder wheel
The answer to your prayer can be found at http://cmlaserservice.com/ This company makes a BRASS replacement optical encoder wheel for the G25/G27. It is $37 (via PayPal) shipped from Thailand. It will take a week or so to get it so be patient.

Tom
For the people that still have this issue, you can buy a printed version here: https://www.shapeways.com/product/4FDSWS6CS/encoder-g25-g27-60-slot

It worked great for me, it shipped within a week and I'm using it now for over 2 years without any problems.

This guy sells 30 and 60 slot versions
60 slot is for G25 and early G27 later G27 wheels use the 30 slot version.
Quote from badboylookout :For the people that still have this issue, you can buy a printed version here: https://www.shapeways.com/product/4FDSWS6CS/encoder-g25-g27-60-slot

It worked great for me, it shipped within a week and I'm using it now for over 2 years without any problems.

This guy sells 30 and 60 slot versions
60 slot is for G25 and early G27 later G27 wheels use the 30 slot version.

I bought that one a couple weeks ago and it ended up broken, so I got a replacement, but my question is, how did you get it on? The first one I tried and it was so tight that I think that is what caused it to break. Any tips?
Quote from bwoods12 :I bought that one a couple weeks ago and it ended up broken, so I got a replacement, but my question is, how did you get it on? The first one I tried and it was so tight that I think that is what caused it to break. Any tips?

I had no problems my self, but I would say only press on the center and not on the sides. That is because the outer ring is really fragile.
Quote from badboylookout :I had no problems my self, but I would say only press on the center and not on the sides. That is because the outer ring is really fragile.

Yeah it is very fragile. I am going to roll up a piece of sandpaper and just run it through the middle a time or two lightly to see if that helps (if it is that tight again).

G27 Broken Wheel Position Sensor
(13 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG