The online racing simulator
Unwanted DFGT vibration (and other problems)
Hi

I've asked for this problem on other forums without results. So, i'll try to post here and get a succesful response. Keep in mind that i'm not good in electronics or in self repair.

I've bought a Driving Force GT and I started to attend to a anime & geek convention in my city where I allow to people to play on the wheel some racing games with FFB (incluiding LFS, dont worry, it's the demo version), even with the use, the wheel still works as a charm. But some time ago my Driving Force GT started to vibrate when it's centered, and IDK how and why that's happends.

Here's a video with the issue

And here's the gears inside the wheel

Somebody told me that the encoder wheel is broken, but i've checked it and it's no broken or cracked, but maybe i can change it. Whel i puill off the wheel from the mechanism also i've pulled off the encoder wheel, si, in the try to put it again on the encoder itself, in a beggining it stopped to work, now it works again but with problems: The vibration is even worse and now the wheel makes a sound when it turns. Here's a video about that

The encoder wheel is not 100% parallel to the encoder itself, and i'm thinking to grease the gears but IDK what kind of grease use.

Im planning to sell this wheel to buy a G27, but in that state I can't do it. Please, any adivce to fix it, thanks!
Interesting. I had different issues when I had my DFGT (it would make weird rattling noises when turned to right) but it eventually died and the only things that seemed to work were the buttons on the wheel, the wheel itself stopped working.

Too bad there are no responses on Logitech forums atm. I had the same issue. When I posted posts after posts about the issues I was dealing with the only response I got was, ''reinstall your drivers''.

If you are planning to buy a G27 from Logitech, you can try to do what I did. Basically around summer time they seem to give out discount codes for their products to their loyal customers. I emailed them on their website about the fact that my DFGT broke down and eventually they gave me out a loyalty discount code (which was 50 percent for a new wheel). So keep that in mind, you might be able to get a G27 for a lot cheaper!
#3 - Racon
Mine's always done that, it's annoying but I live with it. I'm guessing that it's just constant correction trying to centre the wheel and overshooting. You can stop it with a light touch. If you have LFS focused, it stops.
Quote from MousemanLV :If you are planning to buy a G27 from Logitech, you can try to do what I did. Basically around summer time they seem to give out discount codes for their products to their loyal customers. I emailed them on their website about the fact that my DFGT broke down and eventually they gave me out a loyalty discount code (which was 50 percent for a new wheel). So keep that in mind, you might be able to get a G27 for a lot cheaper!

Keep in mind that i live in Chile, all the electronics came very expensive, the G27 it's sold in second hand website sales and it's nor very cheap (and it sells without the box, thing that I need to bring it to the conventions). Also, if i need to sell the DDFGT, i cannot sell it with that probkem (even with that 'noise')

For now i'm looking for a solution to fix the wheel. Any help will be appreciated Big grin
#5 - jujek
Quote from GTALander :For now i'm looking for a solution to fix the wheel. Any help will be appreciated Big grin

As i write under youtube video yesterday (becouse is easier to write on youtube than here from phone) with Your wheel is everything fine every dfgt wheel do this after some time. Only solution for it is change gears for new but when You do this it will be fine for montch or two so changing gears is pointless. You can use this wheel like normal nothing will happend or break mine doing this for more than 2 years and still working so don't care about that.

Quote from Racon :I'm guessing that it's just constant correction trying to centre the wheel and overshooting. You can stop it with a light touch. If you have LFS focused, it stops.

Yes that's true.
Yeah i'll also confirm, my DFGT is also doing same thing for more than 2 years, but ffb feels excaly as on new one, and i had it for like 6 years, so really FFB seems like unkillable, only problems i had with it was buttons. It's true FFB did change sound, sometimes it gives strange noises but nothing more than that, few years ago i even thought it's nearly dead, but i was so wrong, and it still feels like news one. So don't worry, this is normal after some time of use, nothing wrong.
I see. So the problem is very common than i've thought. I remember that i've touch the encoder disc, now it's on but it's not 100% parallel to the encoder itself. Yhat coiuld be a problem in a future or i don't need to be worried about that when I sell the wheel?
I could be that the encoder is slipping on the shaft, a drop of contact glue will do the trick than. This slipping is a common problem even when it is not cracked.

You can also buy a new encoder wheel:
https://www.shapeways.com/product/4FDSWS6CS/encoder-g25-g27-60-slot

you can get this printed version or a brass version:
http://cmlaserservice.com/page_g25_g27_optical_encoder_wheel.html

I opted for the printed one because it is cheaper and I don't have to wait a half a year for it to ship out to me. (to be fair, they didn't have any in stock back then. I don't know about now)

It printed one worked great for me, it shipped within a week and I'm using it now for over 2 years without any problems.

This guy sells 30 and 60 slot versions
60 slot is for G25 and early G27 later G27 wheels use the 30 slot version.

Unwanted DFGT vibration (and other problems)
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG