The online racing simulator
Setups
(17 posts, started )
Setups
The more I poke around here the more I cant beleive how many people dont create or even modify the setups they are running.

The Inferno stuff is a tremendous help but tweaking the ride is half the fun.

It also provides an outstang oppertunity to learn something.

Plug and play world theise days I dont get it guess im just old

Wha da ya tink?
i think the problem is, when new people come to lfs, they are not consistant enough in the driving to tweek setups. im starting to alter things myself now, as im slowly getting consistant enough.
Likewise I think setting up your own car is all part of LFS. I also think you will never get to your full potential as a driver unless you learn how to adjust and work with your own sets.

So hear hear to working it out yourself.
Yes I tweak setups to my own taste but some things I have to learn all over again every time I want to touch it, like gear ratios and gear settings :banghead:
It can get frustrating at times but the more you do it the more you learn.
#6 - Mark.
If im honest.. I'm one of those "plug and play and hope of the best" guys. I'd like to make my own setups, but i even found a simple guide complicated. I may have a look over it again sometime though!
Just happy your all here
Im not trying to judge anyone (the track will do that)

after all most of us are from free countries
#8 - evans
For a long time I was just driving everybody elses setup, not changing a bit, but I then realised that not all people share the same driving style.
Modifying the setup for your driving is definitely way better than just driving it. For example, I like to brake a bit harder than everybody else, and all the setups I recieve or download are always too low on brake pressure, so that's always a thing I adjust. Downforce is also a thing to look at, some like a loose rearend, some like it smooth. And of course, steering lock.
I am a wholehearted exponant of making your own sets. I will preach it from the highest curbstones and shout it to my racing brethren.

To some of you it may seem like you are taking steps backwards but my friends it takes you time to get your groove. It takes mistakes to move yourself forward. It takes slower lap times, bad lines and missed brake points for you to fully realise your potential. You may get called slow, you may face ridicule and derision but my friends, you will have the last laugh. It may come upon you gradually, or it may appear suddenly but soon, and for the rest of your racing career you will be guiding lights; you will be the steady; the true and the first.

But enough of that shit.

LFS takes real life influences to make the cars handle like they do in real life and in that respect you need to take real life considerations into account. You need to learn why the cars move and handle like they do. What happens when you decrease downforce, or soften the rear suspension or change the the ARB's. But the only way you will learn that is by reading the material and actually changing the car's setup. What you are striving for is a good 'base' setup that reflects your driving style and the needs of the race and the track. There is so much to explore, so much to learn. To err is human, to not learn from your mistakes is just plain stupid.
Hmmm.
I usually get hold of a good basic set, and are now able to tweak it. Often I combine two sets - I take the gearing from one set and combine it with another. If you are lucky and get hold of a great allround set, it is only the gearing which needs tweaking. But good basic all round sets are very seldom out there.

But tweaking tyre pressure, ride heigth and gearing is really easy. One just use the "learning by doing" method.

I personally have a bit harder time, with the RWD. I can easily make a safe set - But make a set that can compete with the fast guys out there - No way yet

But everybody should learn how to do small changes to your ride.

I must say, I`m waiting for Bob`s easy driven sets. That`s a good set of basic setups, which is easily made personally driveable. In S1 I could drive some of his sets, very fast indeed, with small alterations. Good work Bob !
Yeah, sorry for the delay, 3 weeks left until I quit work, then I'll have all the time in the world!
-
(thisnameistaken) DELETED by thisnameistaken
I usually concentrate for a period of time on a collection of combos, like lately I've been working on SO2/RB4, FOX/AS2 and MRT/BL1 (fun combo, close racing too ) and find that working on setups in little groups, and backing them up, eventually you will have a "personalized setup pack" that matches your driving style and being quick, It does take a lot of time, but it would pay off once you start joining some leagues, and they are even compatible across patches, just with small tweaking, and you could even go with a "base" set for all tracks per car, and just do minor tweaks like most do.
i always liked to make my own setups from scratch (i have enough knowledge to do it) and i learned more and more i did setups...til now i made something like an average of 300 setups for each car, changing testing adapting to my mood of the day etc. i always found it a lot of fun and rewarding: my skills improved much more as long i made the car behave as my style/mood would require, i rarely like wr setups, so make my own helped my drive a lot, also i find very satisfing when a share my setup and see the guy improving...2 days ago i gave my fox setup at blackwood at one guy that couldn't brake the 1.11 barrier...well, after 5 laps he almost broke the 1.09 barrier.

making setups is not easy, i know, but is a lot of fun and on the long run it improves your driving skills too...so i suggest everyone to try it once in a while...

EDIT: i usually find that blackwood and fern bay green are two good tracks to make good base setups, after you have a good base for your driving style is much easier to adapt to tracks which require some adjustements
Quote from evans :For a long time I was just driving everybody elses setup, not changing a bit, but I then realised that not all people share the same driving style.
Modifying the setup for your driving is definitely way better than just driving it. For example, I like to brake a bit harder than everybody else, and all the setups I recieve or download are always too low on brake pressure, so that's always a thing I adjust. Downforce is also a thing to look at, some like a loose rearend, some like it smooth. And of course, steering lock.

when my rear end gets loose i take immodium

seriously though i'm amazed how many people ask for a setup and then try to drive it and you know that they havent taken the time and trouble to even have a basic look at the diff settings and downforce, let alone the suspension, and then they wonder why they fly off road.

if im looking for a setup i always try to find a driver thats got a similar style to myself rather than the usual pestering of each race winner / fastest lapper.also im more likely to go for a setup that someones able to run lap after lap without rearranging his bodywork, the oppositions body work or any passing satalites.

inevitably i end up tweaking it fairly substantially which would suggest i have a strange driving style / setup preferences
from the beginning...
If you are starting from scratch to make a good setup for a track, do you use race_s as default or do you start tweaking from something else?

regards mike

Why not have a zero/normal button for setup parameters...
Quote from mike20002 :If you are starting from scratch to make a good setup for a track, do you use race_s as default or do you start tweaking from something else?

regards mike

Why not have a zero/normal button for setup parameters...

if you don't have anything, try to start from race_s. the default setups are basically the zero/normal button

if you want something else to start from, try our setupfield in my signature.
I always start from nothing. I THINK about what kind of rates I might need for a particular car/track combo. That is my starting point.

Setups
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG