The online racing simulator
Smallest/Cheapest PC, anyone have LFS running on a micro PC?
What is the smallest PC LFS can run on at a good frame rate, at 1080 or higher.

Anyone get it to run good on any of those micro PCs?

Looking into alternative ways to run 10 or more LFS sims for the cheapest and smallest hardware I can. Right now I am doing it with virtual machines on a single server, but I want to compare it to other ways.
There's Intel Skylake i7 small pc.
Cheapest budget wise would be Pentium 4 3.4 single core in a 775 motherboard with any faintly decent pci video card.

Run 1, or if your feeling keen, 2 gig of ram and XP. Anything of this vintage will have a license attached.
Attack the OS with an axe and shut off EVERYTHING not needed to run LFS. Smile

Yes, Linux will work too but that would need more than 1 gig of ram.

All your running is LFS, host on a decent server/PC and that would work well.

Single cores are fine if your only doing one thing. You can even upscale to Core 2 Duo but for a similar speed they are more expensive.

Easy and cheap to test this, $NZ 60 excluding monitor.

EDIT:
DOH !!!!!!
Just seen the age of this, still applicable though.
I'm gonna buy a core i7 quad core laptop or pc or build my own, but I don't know yet when should I do at the moment since I'm Egyptian.
We don't recommend Windows XP, but we recommend 7 or later.
I am still looking Wink
Bought the expensive server to run them all on one pc, and while it works, it does not run as nicely as I would like it too.

Currently aiming for a $400 i3 6100T mini PC. something with Vesa Mount. I should be able to run 2 or 3 cockpits off of each one, but for now trying one each. Just trying to find a better price.

http://psref.lenovo.com/Detail/ThinkCentre_M700_Tiny?M=10HY0021US
-
(k_badam) DELETED by k_badam
You might have to spend a little over $400 but this should do the trick:

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/KHKL4C

I have the same CPU and its usage tops out at around 30% in game so you should be able to get 3 systems running on it.
Taking away the mail-in rebates makes it around $450 so it is over your budget without them

EDIT: beside where it says Current Part List click price breakdown by merchant so you can order it all from the same place (Newegg seems to have everything if this is what you will go for)
I've been looking, hoping to put a bunch of parts, and or pre built system in various shopping carts, (mostly newegg and amazon) just incase one goes cheap during the holiday sales.

I started off looking for parts to build my own, but I keep choosing better parts, and ending up with a $600+ PC, before adding a legal Windows license. Smile

I started looking at pre built when I saw they were actually cheaper then what I kept putting in shopping carts, and the components were not much different. I've seen the i3 M700 Tiny go for as low as $300, in a past expired sale. Best I can find it for now, is $378

Not having to build all 12 to 24 machines would save me some time as well, although I will likely dump and reinstall windows on one machine, and then use a disk duplicator on the rest.

It is too small to add a video card to it, so it would have to rely on the onboard video... but LFS does not really make much use of GPU, so I am hoping it works just fine.

I mostly intend to stick with LFS, although I can always swap in an i7 if I want to go with other simulators.

I definitely need to go smaller than ATX boards, ITX or STX only.
It will be mounted to the back of the simulator monitor. Each seat will be on wheels so I can transport it, so need it to save weight. I also need it to save power, thus why I am looking at tiny PC's with 35watt or less. Only one with less power was an i3-7100t, but while it is newer it is a lot slower.

I will just have to buy one, and try it, and if it sucks, hope that I can return it, or sell it on ebay for as much as I paid for it. Wink
I got a hold of the i3-6100T micro computer today. It is barely enough to run LFS at 75fps, and that requires all the alias, and reflections etc, to be minimized to 0. CPU and GPU only run at about 50% most of the time with a full grid.

The CPU is great, but the intel 530 GPU is a lot weaker then I expected.
However I do not really see much difference with the settings set to 0/none, and I think it will work with one of these mounted to each cockpit frame.

New graphics updates pretty much killed using the i3 with intel graphics.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG