The online racing simulator
VERL 2016 - Season end event
(15 posts, started )

2016 Season end event

Sunday,13th November
17:00 UTC / 18:00 CET / 19:00 EET

After decently successful 2nd VELR season Race Green Events presents a little break from rather serious racing and offers something different - under less official conditions we will run this season end event with few challenging and different races. The event will consist of 3 parts,all run with the official VERL car Formula V8: agility competition,run in time trial format around the smallest LFS racetrack,parallel slalom,where the name is actually quite selfexplaining and the final part will consist from 3 40km races around Westhill,where only support roads will be used instead of normal racetrack.
The event is free for all,while all VERL 2016 drivers will be invited!

Formula V8 Agility Competition

Start time: 17:00 UTC / 18:00 CET / 19:00 EET
Length: 50 minutes

The agility competition will be run in the smallest LFS racetrack - Westhill Karting (WE4),in order to be able to run FO8 cars,custom configuration will be used. The competition will be run in Time trial format,where everyone will have to start from premade starting gate (top right in the picture) and run 3 laps around the small karting track. Joining order of first wave will be connection list from top to bottom,single car on track. If there is still time (total competition length is 50 min),there will be 2nd wave,where everyone can improve their result,running order will be from bottom to top of current results list. Again - if there is still time,3rd,4th and so on wave can be started.
The Westhill Karting configuration is everything else then suited to powerful 450 horsepower single seater car,which makes here the challenge - even all turns are possible drive through without reversing,with faster speeds max lock might still not be enough,so the driver has to add some rear wheel steering at some turns to be quick around the track.
Track is designed to disallow any shortcuts by adding speed bumps and also posts at few turns - every touched post will result in automatic 2 seconds penalty to result.

Formula V8 Parallel Slalom

Start time: 18:00 UTC / 19:00 CET / 20:00 EET
Estimated length: 50 minutes

As the competition name already suggests,this will be a parallel slalom,where 2 cars will go head to head on identical parallel slalom courses. Competition will held using single elimination system,where only semi finals and finals will use best of 3 runs to decide the winner,while other levels will have just a single run. Every participant will receive seed rank using VERL 2016 Drivers Championship table,those who haven't participated in actual VERL season,will be ranked behind VERL racers using agility competition results,others - by connection list order. This means in last 32 the 1st ranked will race against 32nd,2nd vs 31st and so on. If there isn't 32nd,31st or any next seeded driver,their opponents will receive a "by" and advance to last 16 right away. Allthough both lanes are designed to be as equal as LFS allows,the higher seeded racer will have a choise to pick either left or right lane,while in best of 3 2nd run the choice belongs to lower seeded racer. If there is time left,the "bronze" run will be held where both semifinal losers will race each other,also any individual duels might be run if announced to organisation.
The course has 3 different sections,each marked by differently colored concrete objects - from start all gates are 20 meters apart,yellow section has medium tightness,followed by tighter red section,then we have another yellow section,followed by blue section,which is the least tight and gate distance slowly increases. There will be no penalties for hitting tyres,other then lost speed and control of the car,allthough anyone intentionally driving through many tyre gates might be disqualified from his run. First false start will lead to restart,2nd offence will consequences of being spectated or added 30s penalty - depending on false start timing,LFS default decision will be taken as result.

Westhill support roads races

After 2 different style competitions the season end event will return to rather standart racing,where everyone can start at the first green light. There will be 3 races at 3 different Westhill support roads tracks,all of them have something common - tracks are very dangerous. This means track width is mostly narrow,track surface uneven and sometimes bumpy,curbs will cause suspension damage,turns very unpredictable before get well known.
To avoid complete disaster at first lap,every race will have 5 minutes warm-up practice in qualifying mode (results will not be taken),after that race will start using random starting order. Race distance will be minimum lapcount to reach 1/5 (40km) of usual VERL league race distance. All tracks feature 40 slot grids and fully functional pitlanes beside grid (in RGE Tunnels configuration pitlane is speed limited).

Race #1 - RGE tunnels

Start time: 19:00 UTC / 20:00 CET / 21:00 EET
Race distance: 11 laps (40.3km)

Race #2 - Eastpark Raceway

Start time: 19:30 UTC / 20:30 CET / 21:30 EET
Race distance: 7 laps (41.6km)

Race #3 - Central Road Course

Start time: 20:00 UTC / 21:00 CET / 22:00 EET
Race distance: 11 laps (42.8km)

Event will take place on the VERL server: V8 Racing League (pass=SeasonEnd)

Note that all laptimes are estimates and might be adjusted depending on the event running.
During all event please follow the instructions of the organization,don't join the track if not allowed,bahave and use common sence when racing,follow the basic Rules of Clean Racing!

Join us,good luck in the event and have fun!
Attached files
WE3X_Karting TT.lyt - 1.1 KB - 332 views
AU3_RGE dual slalom.lyt - 2.9 KB - 298 views
WE1Y_RGE-Tunnels.lyt - 6.1 KB - 296 views
WE1X_Central Road Course.lyt - 6.6 KB - 328 views
Server is now setup so everyone can select one of 4 tracks (karting TT layout not available) by selecting either AU3,WE1Y,WE3X or WE1X - host will automatically load the right layout.
Feel free to practice,set some laptimes in Airio table,organize duels between pals.
Quote from Eclipsed :...everyone can select one of 4 tracks...

No, we can't... it does not allow us to end the race and on the entry to the server it didn't give choices, it automatically loaded I think the second layout. EDIT: after careful reading.... yes we can Smile

Btw, when someone manage to park the car like this, let me know... until then, call me the champ! Smile

Attached images
Clip_2.jpg
too much slivovica? Big grin
Well, I have to respect the sponsor deals Tongue
Any chance of the event delay due to the red flagged F1 Brazilian GP race?
In first 2 competitions,each lasting almost 1 hour,you don't have to be all the time active on track!
OK, I'll join for the last 3 events Smile
Parallel slalom is currently on hold. Hoping for at least few joiners to have at least semi-finals...
Results

After somewhat dissapointing evening,some official results still should be made. Unfortunatelly interest was very low,not sure if the event format was uninteresting,or tracks too difficult or most potential participants chose to watch F1 cars parked and waiting for rain to end,you'll never know. But still - I had my share of fun racing around Westhill public roads with fast and scary car,even I would like to have some more competition.

Agility competition turned out to be a duel between me and Altsu,where I happened to be faster on the tiny track. The 2016 VERL champion joined the server just in time for Parallel slalom,where we had a final duel - A.Wiśniewski was better in both runs and took the win. Support roads races had more then 2 participants - first 2 were won again by me,while the 3rd race was the most intriguing one,where Sermilan only in final 1/3 of the race had proper advantage to win the race.

After having raced FO8 in these tracks,I have the wicked idea to include some similar track (carefully planned and overworked) in possible next year's VERL schedule,most likely "LeMans style" with mixed permanent racetrack and support roads sections.

Anyway - let's hope for better days in LFS racing,where more racers will dare to take the challenge of something different and also more difficult.
I ended up having other plans with friends.

However, even if I didn't have other plans, I was disinclined to enter the event. IMO, the slalom and kart tracks were just way too tight, requiring I either reconfigure my wheel for less rotation or risk breaking it with the rate of steering necessary.

I did not try the "public roads" circuits.
Quote from Eclipsed :After having raced FO8 in these tracks,I have the wicked idea to include some similar track (carefully planned and overworked) in possible next year's VERL schedule,most likely "LeMans style" with mixed permanent racetrack and support roads sections.

I think this is a good idea... the second layout, the one where we did 7 laps, was the most interesting. We need refreshment Smile

As Forbin have said, I also did not find the slalom and kart track interesting and probably would not race those two even if F1 race ended before that. FO8 is a brutal car, not too good in slow corners.

I think that the event start time was unfortunate also. Kinda early Sunday afternoon, plus F1 race still going on... I think both of those things influenced low turnout.

However... I would like to thank you again for your effort put in this league Smile. All in all, good organization, well thought trough and hopefully there will be more soon.Thumbs up
I have to admit,the slalom track was a bit rushed and barely tested. The red section was really too tight... Yellow one should have been the tightest section.
But I think the karting track was a great venue for agility - yes,it is deffinitely too tight for normal wheels-in-line driving,this is where the agility comes in - you have to really throw the car around and steer it also using rear wheels,either by throttle or deceleration. Since the run consists only from 3 laps,you don't really have to worry about tyres being overheated. I find it a good skills competition,too bad noone else did... Shrug

Edit: about wheel settings - reducing force feedback to very low value did the trick for me in the karting track.
I'd've been there if could've, the karting track was the one I was looking forward to most.

(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG