The online racing simulator
Limit Demo Use
(65 posts, started )
I don't think all demo drivers are out for trouble...

One of our servers was almost full on the weekend, and every single one of them was a demo-licensed novice. After several hours of racing, there was only one person that needed a caution (and then a ban when they ignored me and continued trying to block the hairpin). There were no arguments, no rage-quits when incidents occurred, and everyone seemed to have a good level of respect for everyone else. Maybe FBM encourages a more serious class of driver?
Quote from Bigbob1993 :I brought handful of my friends to a LFS demo server at lan party we had... they caused havoc lasting for about two hours.

I found most my friends on demo Smile and now we play s2/3 Thumbs up

Lol that was 10 years ago
Quote from Shirtkicker :I don't think all demo drivers are out for trouble...

One of our servers was almost full on the weekend, and every single one of them was a demo-licensed novice. After several hours of racing, there was only one person that needed a caution (and then a ban when they ignored me and continued trying to block the hairpin). There were no arguments, no rage-quits when incidents occurred, and everyone seemed to have a good level of respect for everyone else. Maybe FBM encourages a more serious class of driver?

Ye true most off them try hard ... end at cheat servers when no progress Smile or die cruising Smile ... some end up doing great. It only takes some weeks die hard gaming or in some cases like myself some more if not everyday online Smile

Still love LFS as Assetto just a joke with good graphics Omg omg omg
Quote from Eclipsed :Don't agree. Demo is a demostration version of software. And it is very limited - just 1 environment with 3 configurations (from which one is just empty lot),3 cars,12 drivers on track. Also no layouts possible,no skin uploads (unless purchased). Sounds pretty limited to me and when I did not had my licence yet,I wasn't too interested to play demo.
Bigger problem would be illegal access to content - I read that there is even a russian website,that simulates LFSW with all the features,so this is where the money for devs is lost - these players have everything for free,why buy? I suppose hands of devs are too short to reach owners of this website in country,where rights of software distributors have such low value.

Yep there is, one of my friends used to use it. I was kinda shocked because I never knew someone could access to so much of LFS's stuff through pirating. I went to his house to try it out and wow!

It's exactly the same, but for free. It has everything, a tone of servers (including twak servers), skin uploads and InSIM.

I'm not saying this is a good thing, I'm just amazed it can and was done. I mean if you go into so much effort to replace everything, why not just buy the game if you like it that much?

Anyways I convinced my friend to buy it after Tongue
I know we're supposed to just talk about demo limiting, but since you guys are talking about demo community and everything that goes with it, please don't put everything in the same category; demo users are easily distuiguishable : by that I mean that there are the users that usually mod and tweak the game who quickly find themselves using a cracked LFS copy and doesn't care or are too young to care (who usually cause havoc on servers as said previously). These kind of people often doesn't speak english and have no experienced players around them, which brings them to creating a community of their own that's often looked down upon by licensed users (and their elitism Smile). Then, there are the demo users who just copied the licensed content's way of working (I'm referring to racing, rallycross and cruise servers) and adapted it to demo. Of course there are some aliens that are between these two worlds which represent, unfortunately, how LFS' demo works (big picture, of course).

Just not to make this post entirely out of the main subject, I don't think putting a time limit or a maximum number of lap on blackwood (1000 laps?) is a bad idea. Yeah, it sounds harsh, but then it would fit the definition of a "demonstration" better. Google it and see by yourself, because we're getting nowhere by using each person's own definition of the word.
However, looking at the bigger picture again, the dev team knows what problems their demo cause or do not cause to them financially speaking better than us and yet they never changed it. Instead, we should be thankful to them for letting people having this much content in a game demo.
Spoiler - click to reveal
And for those who still think they're paying for the others, please stop this, we all know where this is going and that they only bought the game for their own satisfaction and enjoyment.
Lapcount restriction would mean user creates new username when lapcount full?

And time restriction? Nice idea.

But: If this lead to less activity on demo servers, what happens to licensed users who enjoy still LFS because of the activity on demo servers?

Now Im going offtopic a bit, but was thinking how to have demo users paying something: Since S1 licence is already really old, why not decrease its price? In my opinion S1 could cost less now, of course it would lead to new problem, more people crying for S3 lic price.
The demo mode is not a free game. it's a demo.

They cannot get all the cars and track. Tell us how that make it a free game. Demo don't have to be changed. And before make any action for demo user, why not wait for the tires physics and s3 contents?

Look who's got buthurt, a s3 player than got money to buy it. I'm happy for you but this doesnt apply to everybody on earth.

"I understand that not everyone can afford even an S1 licence, and that there are purchasing issues. But, again, not LFS developers fault.
I don't have a tv - it broke, and I can't afford a replacement, not even 2nd hand. I have experience of having had and used one, so when I can ever afford a replacement, I'll likely get one. In mean time, I do without."

Demo user do the same. They cannot get a s3 licence, then they just play the demo. Have you ever though of it before writing something that stupid ? Look like not.

Also, don't complain about a TV, you choosed to get s3 before a TV. so it's not our problem. You have priority, they also do have.
Quote from LaimisD1 :The demo mode is not a free game. it's a demo.

They cannot get all the cars and track. Tell us how that make it a free game. Demo don't have to be changed. And before make any action for demo user, why not wait for the tires physics and s3 contents?

Look who's got buthurt, a s3 player than got money to buy it. I'm happy for you but this doesnt apply to everybody on earth.

"I understand that not everyone can afford even an S1 licence, and that there are purchasing issues. But, again, not LFS developers fault.
I don't have a tv - it broke, and I can't afford a replacement, not even 2nd hand. I have experience of having had and used one, so when I can ever afford a replacement, I'll likely get one. In mean time, I do without."

Demo user do the same. They cannot get a s3 licence, then they just play the demo. Have you ever though of it before writing something that stupid ? Look like not.

Also, don't complain about a TV, you choosed to get s3 before a TV. so it's not our problem. You have priority, they also do have.

"Demo don't have to be changed"

Yes it can, easily...

When you download the game even for the demo it has all the files as the full version, there are ways to get LFS on Demo to access all cars and tracks without crack.

This is why so many demo users can get on S3 servers and make their own..
Talking about crack. much wow, very demo problem...

There's a crack for everything... And no, it don't have to be changed because there are crack user. The only thing that could be changed is the way how LFS check if the user is really a s3 user.
Quote from LaimisD1 : The only thing that could be changed is the way how LFS check if the user is really a s3 user.

Well you kind of have a good point; it's up to Scavier to do something about it because it seem obvious that LFS is way too easy to crack right now. If the door is wide open, most people are just gonna use the cheap method and won't even think to pay for the software in the first place. I've seen suggested videos on youtube with urls to get cracks for christ sake and there is no way to report it unless you are the victim/owner of the copyrighted material (at least last time I checked).
There should be a way to validate a license on the master server every time someone join a server and a S1 license or at least a key tied to personal identification should be given by the developers for hosts. This piracy is so out of proportion that hackers are asking questions about it on the official forum, knowing they have nothing to fear. Some even brag about it. This game got a way to be easy to join and host, but there is an obvious downside to it. I've seen games so bad, while punishing the legitimate buyers to make complicated account so you are then allowed to play their bugged software while LFS on the other end of the spectrum feels so slick and fun, and yet so easy to hack. The energy has been given to the software, not to protect it so it's great for users while it hurts the potential revenues.

I don't think restricting the demo would really help, some demo players are legit and some ends up supporting the product. Demo tweak/vob mods and how easy it is for people to find a crack online seems like the main issues.

AC multiplayer isn't that much better FYI. The more DLCs that comes out, the more sparse the player-base and servers get. The worse mistake I can do early night is to start LFS for 30 minutes and then booting AC. I can't feel the car half as I can with LFS so I end up rage-quitting. My point is that LFS deserve to live for long still in my book and piracy is certainly not helping. It's a malignant tumor and should be eradicated.

Anyway, no matter how much we talk about it, it's not of our resorts. I have a lot of respect for people that have the balls to go their own way and to create something as good as what LFS has become, it would be a shame to see it fade because of this.
Quote :Now Im going offtopic a bit, but was thinking how to have demo users paying something: Since S1 licence is already really old, why not decrease its price? In my opinion S1 could cost less now, of course it would lead to new problem, more people crying for S3 lic price.

S1 servers are a legend. A legend that only very few people care about. Decreasing S2 price could be much more interesting but again it's up to the devs to decide, not us.
Problem is not in demo but in pirate server sadly illegal servers had more active users than legal one thanks to repeat or whatever he is called (everyone i think know who copy master sever) i don't really know the point of limiting demo becouse demo has also more users than s1 s2 s3 becouse people with license are also on these sh*t illegal servers of someone will close this or this guy will host that illegal sever only for friends problem will be solved becouse everyone comes to that illegal servers 3 years ago that was okay becouse these servers was almost empty until s3 come out and everyone start posting on youtube vids about unlocking

sorry for bad English.
Quote from jujek :Problem is not in demo but in pirate server sadly illegal servers had more active users than legal one thanks to repeat or whatever he is called (everyone i think know who copy master sever) i don't really know the point of limiting demo becouse demo has also more users than s1 s2 s3 becouse people with license are also on these sh*t illegal servers of someone will close this or this guy will host that illegal sever only for friends problem will be solved becouse everyone comes to that illegal servers 3 years ago that was okay becouse these servers was almost empty until s3 come out and everyone start posting on youtube vids about unlocking

sorry for bad English.

Have to say it borders me to. But I think these cracked servers also full with cheaters and crashers so real racers will buy the game.
Quote from jujek :Problem is not in demo but in pirate server sadly illegal servers had more active users than legal one thanks to repeat or whatever he is called (everyone i think know who copy master sever) i don't really know the point of limiting demo becouse demo has also more users than s1 s2 s3 becouse people with license are also on these sh*t illegal servers of someone will close this or this guy will host that illegal sever only for friends problem will be solved becouse everyone comes to that illegal servers 3 years ago that was okay becouse these servers was almost empty until s3 come out and everyone start posting on youtube vids about unlocking

sorry for bad English.

Agree BUT!

Illegal servers was almost empty because you could easy find unlocker for S2 in internet and use ip-patch. At now you don't find unlocker for S3.

I think need often does update content and something else for getting interested. Without update game will die.
repeat please close this or don't allow new people to make account becouse no offence but You will kill LFS becouse at this time is more people on Your servers than on legal one... and on LFS groups new people come and ask how to join and kids just give link to Your site..

Limit Demo Use
(65 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG