The online racing simulator
Decent Welcome Screen
(17 posts, started )
Decent Welcome Screen
There's certainly demand for a decent welcome text where hosts can write rules used on server, advertise their leagues/teams (website) or anything else. I know there's some unofficial application that can handle this, but I don't mean just a simple line of text. I mean decent big screen with formatted text in the middle of the screen or something.

Idea by Kegetys.
like in counterstrike?
Quote from dUmAsS :like in counterstrike?

Have no idea, haven't played it.
Quote from constans :There's certaily demand for a decent welcome text where hosts can write rules used on server, advertise their leagues/teams (website) or anything else. I know there's some unofficial application that can handle this, but I don't mean just a simple line of text. I mean decent big screen with formatted text in the middle of the screen or something.

Idea by Kegetys.

Yeh that would be really useful. At the start of a race, the info about the race doesn't stay on the screen for long enough so you can't see whether you have to pit or not.
#5 - -wes-
You could stick the current track info into the pit screen,Everone will goto the pit screen at least once when joining a new track so may as well be there.
#6 - latch
Good idea. I think it should be just like GPL, with the little window for spectating, a good portion of the screen dedicated to showing a map of the track, track name, qualifying times, number of laps for the race, etc.
Yeah - a screen like in COunter-Strike for personal ads etc. would be great.
#8 - ORION
I would also appreciate such a feature, as you can especially inform the user about special rules, like for example the banger racing or if you only want to have drifters, etc.

This is called motd (message of the day) btw
thats like when joining a server on battlefield 2; it has a little info space for the server (what team.. rules.. etc.) and then on the bottom right side (opposite to info), is a logo for that server which... its pretty neat
Would be great to see this feature in LFS.
Gets my vote.
And mine, there have been more than one time that I have wondered if there was a forced pit on the server.
I want such a feature, as well.
Race Manager will let you display a message of the day. The only problem is that the text is relatively small (and somewhat obscured by the graphic in teh background) and it doesn't stay on screen very long. It's better than nothing though. I've tried using different settings to put it closer to the center of the screen, move it down from the upper-left corner, and make it display longer, but have been unsuccessful. Maybe someone else will be able to figure out a way to make it a little more obvious. I haven't tried using colors yet, so that's an option as well.

http://silk.lfsnal.org/RaceManager.html
Cue-Ball, whilst RaceManager is nice, its not a complete solution (more of a hack imho) and gives you very little screen real estate to work with, and its cleared relatively quickly.
Ye, i mentioned this a while ago before the latest patch when someone was talking about not knowing if there is a manditory pitstop. But Scawen changed the length of time that the maditory pitstop:Yes messages appears at the start, but even sometimes I still miss that.

something like Counter Strike Source would be best, just a box where an advertisment could be placed, server rules etc and then you just click OK to get rid of it. Problem with this is if the server often changes the track certain race rules may not apply to the track, eg. SQ sprint doesn't have pitstops.

Andy.

http://www.lfsforum.com/showth ... p?t=768&highlight=Pit
Quote from the_angry_angel :Cue-Ball, whilst RaceManager is nice, its not a complete solution (more of a hack imho) and gives you very little screen real estate to work with, and its cleared relatively quickly.

I totally agree. It's not a complete solution, but it's better than nothing until Scawen can put something proper into the game itself. A full screen with no text limits would be best. And it should stay on screen until the user dismisses it by clicking "OK" or something similar.

Decent Welcome Screen
(17 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG