The online racing simulator
Quote from AnnieC :I did not buy LFS because of Oculus support but I do have an Oculus DK2 if that counts Smile So that's one and judging from the LFS topic on the Oculus forum there are a number of people there who bought LFS because of the Oculus support.

What computer are you using the DK" with?

I want to get one but am still unsure if my computer has enough power.

And yes.. Live for Speed seems Very nice for the early VR set available at the moment.
Just look at youtube videos of people playing LFS on VR, they think its great.
Quote from MysticReverie :What computer are you using the DK" with?

I want to get one but am still unsure if my computer has enough power.

And yes.. Live for Speed seems Very nice for the early VR set available at the moment.
Just look at youtube videos of people playing LFS on VR, they think its great.

It's in my profile but here it is:
CPU: Intel i5 4460 @ 3.2 GHz, GPU: NV Geforce GTX 970 4GB, RAM: 16 GB @ 2133 MHz
Quote from englishlord :Translated: Got bored of the game two years ago, wants times back that are past and wants to whine about it

Move on. Find another game to play. It's a big world with lots to do in it. Nobody cares about your disappointment.

It seem like you care alot about his disappointment.
Responding to someone's forum post isn't a sign of caring.
Quote from lfsrm :It seem like you care alot about his disappointment.

I don't believe he does. What Englishlord was getting at was that when a product fails to meet someone's needs or expectations, it does not necessarily mean that there is something objectively wrong with the product. We get it, some people got bored of LFS and want it to become something more. What I personally don't get is why these people keep pitching their ideas over and over instead of finding a game that has the features they're missing in LFS.
Quote from TheNoobisonFire :Please sir, can you call out 10 people on this Forum that owns a Oculus Rift. No, actually 5. Get five people to say they own a Oculus rift. If you can, then Ill take back all the stuff I said in my first post.

There are 10 people in the "New version 0.6P - Updates in VR and controller support" thread using a vive or rift, if you include Scawen Smile. Also, forum users are a tiny subset of the users of the game, and VR support will attract new users. VR use will increase as hardware matures.
Quote from MadCatX :I don't believe he does. What Englishlord was getting at was that when a product fails to meet someone's needs or expectations, it does not necessarily mean that there is something objectively wrong with the product. We get it, some people got bored of LFS and want it to become something more. What I personally don't get is why these people keep pitching their ideas over and over instead of finding a game that has the features they're missing in LFS.

Because people keep praising blindly a sim that are already acknowledged.

tbh, both camp are right, those praising and those whose bitching, because LFS need praising for what dev achieved so far, and bitching for the lack of ambitious plan.
Quote from bobloblaw :There are 10 people in the "New version 0.6P - Updates in VR and controller support" thread using a vive or rift, if you include Scawen Smile. Also, forum users are a tiny subset of the users of the game, and VR support will attract new users. VR use will increase as hardware matures.

It's not like LFS will have the exclusivity of VR, other simulator has already an early good VR support so I don't see the game popularity changing if people with normal screen have already no reason to paly the game anymore.
Quote from TheNoobisonFire :Please sir, can you call out 10 people on this Forum that owns a Oculus Rift. No, actually 5. Get five people to say they own a Oculus rift. If you can, then Ill take back all the stuff I said in my first post.

I've got a CV1... and the only time I've tried LFS in recent history (for more than a lap for shits and giggles) was to check it out in the Rift. I will say, it works mighty nice and obviously runs like butter. I still think it should be on the Oculus store, even as a free demo, to get people to try it. Everyone with a Rift wants to try everything they can without paying for it first Wink
Quote from englishlord :Translated: Got bored of the game two years ago, wants times back that are past and wants to whine about it

Move on. Find another game to play. It's a big world with lots to do in it. Nobody cares about your disappointment.

Yes i got bored for playing the same combos and the lack of servers to randomly battle with a decent amount of other drivers. I don't exactly want the past times back, but i do miss the activity of servers, and places like CTRA to run in.

I wouldn't call it whining, but you can call it whatever you want. Its a forum, we come here to read and post about anything and everything. If you dont care about it thats just fine with me Thumbs up, but have you considered that maybe someone else might care, besides you, englishlord? Even if nobody does, just consider it. Oh please lord, let this poor peasent discuss about this....

I have moved on, to Rfactor 2 and Assetto Corsa. They are good, they are also diferent, but i still miss LFS, so i ain't i allowed to do so?
Here is a question I've been wanting to ask for a while. There seems to be a fair amount of people who keep "caring" about LFS. However, this "care" seems to be limited to babbling on the forum about how the devs should do this and that differently. Why don't you people actually do something substantial instead? You can revive something like CTRA for instance. With open configs you can create a bunch of new tracks, especially in SO, RO and WE. InSim itself is another mighty tool in LFS' arsenal... It's definitely not like you don't have the means to try and pour some fresh blood into LFS racing community.
Quote from MadCatX :Here is a question I've been wanting to ask for a while. There seems to be a fair amount of people who keep "caring" about LFS. However, this "care" seems to be limited to babbling on the forum about how the devs should do this and that differently. Why don't you people actually do something substantial instead? You can revive something like CTRA for instance. With open configs you can create a bunch of new tracks, especially in SO, RO and WE. InSim itself is another mighty tool in LFS' arsenal... It's definitely not like you don't have the means to try and pour some fresh blood into LFS racing community.

You know, there is already 300 servers on the list, for exemple Cargame.nl is a fine place for racing but its now barely active, you can fill up the server list by another hundred servers by yourself if you want, but you can't attract people by doing that because racers userbase are a very tiny minority in LFS nowdays.

Unless you start a cruise or a drift server, or racing on 2 or 3 demo servers.
Quote from lfsrm :You know, there is already 300 servers on the list, for exemple Cargame.nl is a fine place for racing but its now barely active, you can fill up the server list by another hundred servers by yourself if you want, but you can't attract people by doing that because racers userbase are a very tiny minority in LFS nowdays.

Unless you start a cruise or a drift server, or racing on 2 or 3 demo servers.

That's exactly right and nobody is disputing that. The question to ask here is "why?". Racing servers need some management to keep the trolls and wreckers away. Another thing is competitiveness. Driving skills of individual players vary greatly which is why CTRA offered a few categories based on players' experience and lap times. That way everyone could join a race they would enjoy. There was also Wrecker Barricade that tried to keep away people who repetitively tried to ruin others' fun. These are just a few things I recall from the more lively days of LFS that made the online experience pretty great.

Communities don't just form by themselves. There always have to be a nucleus. There used to be a bunch of pretty active and resourceful people within LFS community which was why there were so many cool places for online racing. With these people gone and nobody new to take their place it's no wonder that the number of active players took a dive. It has very little to do with no new content, lack of progress reports, ambitions of the devs and whatnot. The center upon which the community was built broke apart and that's why there is no real racing community anymore. Cruisers and drivers keep showing us that one can still enjoy LFS as long as there are people with whom you can enjoy it!
Quote from MadCatX :That's exactly right and nobody is disputing that. The question to ask here is "why?". Racing servers need some management to keep the trolls and wreckers away. Another thing is competitiveness. Driving skills of individual players vary greatly which is why CTRA offered a few categories based on players' experience and lap times. That way everyone could join a race they would enjoy. There was also Wrecker Barricade that tried to keep away people who repetitively tried to ruin others' fun. These are just a few things I recall from the more lively days of LFS that made the online experience pretty great.

Communities don't just form by themselves. There always have to be a nucleus. There used to be a bunch of pretty active and resourceful people within LFS community which was why there were so many cool places for online racing. With these people gone and nobody new to take their place it's no wonder that the number of active players took a dive. It has very little to do with no new content, lack of progress reports, ambitions of the devs and whatnot. The center upon which the community was built broke apart and that's why there is no real racing community anymore. Cruisers and drivers keep showing us that one can still enjoy LFS as long as there are people with whom you can enjoy it!

The problem is actually many simracers already know about LFS but no one bothers about it anymore, those core members was gone because there is no racers to manage or wreckers to ban, how many times I saw some familiar usernames in AC or ISI forums, so we can assume that they didn't simply stopped simracing, but also we can ask why they are not interested in lfs anymore ? it's simply because they are already fed up of the current contents and they waited enough for something new, it's only natural for them to lose hope in this game and moving to somthing else.

And why nobody want to take their place ? obviously new servers admins tend to prefere popular and moderns sim where the userbase is the most active, even if those sims offer less flexibility or simplicity on the server side, but people is fine with it and they are enjoying their hobby because simracing is not only clear UI or simple server settings, but it's also graphics, physics and contents.
Well,this is my contribution to community: https://www.lfs.net/leagues/241-Rony's-Tuesday's-Fun-Race
Of course it's a sanctioned event with one single main race after 1 hour qualifying running every 2nd tuesday,but at least it has a specific timeline where everyone knows that there are few racers coming together.
(could be taken as advertisement Big grin )
I think many guys contribute Smile

Thats why there are more servers then players Na-na
Quote from RC-Maus :I think many guys contribute Smile

Thats why there are more servers then players Na-na

So servers owners must play the game instead of actually hosting ? PetalsBig grin
Quote from cargame.nl :And after that it collects dust or get sold to someone else who tries everything out.. Not very structural.

I know it's off of the so called topic, but I don't foresee mine collecting any dust anytime soon. The thing is already far to cool for that IMO and it's only the beginning Smile

3D Vision ruined 2D gaming for me some years back, and the Rift did the same thing all over again (Vive looks great too, I just decided on a Rift).

Anyway, back to the regularly scheduled infinite LFS development debate.
My question is, How long ago was S3 released?

Recently?
Then we should be getting more material anytime soon then ?
S3 was released in April this year and I'm afraid only the devs can answer your second question.
Quote from GAVD999 :S3 was released in April this year and I'm afraid only the devs can answer your second question.

Doesn't sound bad.
Apparently it took 8 years for S2 to materialize? But when it did it had quite a lot of extra content?

So, S3, only just been released, with the promise that there is more content to follow.
Lets hope the rest of the content doesn't take another 8 years, then maybe we will all be happier.

I also really think the devs should consider selling this game on Steam.
Games like Automobilista (great game also) probably sell exclusively on Steam?, and as you know, if you look at a particular racing game in the steam market, it gives you a list of other games you may also like - So LFS could get much exposure.

Priced competitively and with good reviews, I think LFS could do well on Steam and somewhat revitalize itself.
Not quite, S1 was released in 2003, S2 in 2005. It was Rockingham and a certain car that where announced as upcoming updates 8 years ago, Rockingham was released with S3.

You really are opening a can of worms there lol, Steam has been discussed many times on here.
Yes sorry you are right, April was the last patch

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG