The online racing simulator
Quote from RC-Maus :
What other sim last more then 14 years i really started playing in 2005 bought licence in 2007 no money wasted Smile.

I tried AC but didn't like it graphics looks good but too much arcade .... RFactor hasn't much going on online maybe iracing but that is too expensive for me.

Real hard core sims hard too find think LFS is still best Thumbs up

tbh I don't find AC physics to be too different from lfs, it's almost identical if you take the same spec cars, thats why many of previous active lfs users are now into AC leagues or public multiplayer.
Quote from lfsrm :tbh I don't find AC physics to be too different from lfs, it's almost identical if you take the same spec cars, thats why many of previous active lfs users are now into AC leagues or public multiplayer.

Tried AC once didn't like it. Graphics good but everything off and too easy too play Smile
Quote from RC-Maus :Tried AC once didn't like it. Graphics good but everything off and too easy too play Smile

Aren't modern cars easy to drive ?
Depends ... I have been lately doing some racing on electric go-karts for public, and it's horrible. Not only ridiculously heavy, but the built-in ESP-like SW keeps interfering with driving in random manner, which is literally making me sick - as I'm very sensitive to the feedback of kart, and my mind is total mess, when the kart keeps changing behaviour all the time.

It's very likely easier to drive for somebody not experienced, or not sensitive enough to notice the subtle differences, but for me it's painful (in mind).

From what I have seen with modern road cars, it's the similar story, but I'm not racing them (nor driving too much), so the aids behave more predictable (when you are not on the limit). But I'm afraid I would be not amused, if I would take them on the track. It's certainly easier for general public, but not for me. (I'm not saying I'm a *good* driver... but I'm certainly *sensitive* driver Big grin )
Anyone have one of the larger i7 processors?
Like the 6950x...
How many instances of LFS running a full grid race of AI, can you run on this chip, before the frame rates start tanking?
The single controller selection is now done and is easy to use, as you can see in the attached screenshots. I'll get onto the other things tomorrow.

Quote from SimulatorRental.com :Anyone have one of the larger i7 processors?
Like the 6950x...
How many instances of LFS running a full grid race of AI, can you run on this chip, before the frame rates start tanking?

I don't really know but I guess it is about the number of cores. Each instance of LFS with a lot of AI drivers might use up one core.
Attached images
cont_select.jpg
cont_restore.jpg
Today I did the auto-centering function.

If a force feedback wheel is in use, LFS tries to move it to the centre during the two seconds after the car is reset (including race start or leaving the pits).

I think this will be helpful as it does often happen that the wheel is rotated 360 degrees. I've tested on the G27. It will be interesting to know how it works with a variety of wheels.
Now the audio device selection is also done.
Nice, I'm looking forward to the update, that's some nice and useful features you just did! Smile
Quote from Scawen :Today I did the auto-centering function.
I think this will be helpful as it does often happen that the wheel is rotated 360 degrees.

I managed to do that in a league race recently Wink

While you're working in this area of code, how easy would it be to implement a soft-stop at full lock? (Useful when using turn compensation for a 1:1 wheel turn in any car without messing with settings)

Quote from Scawen :The single controller selection is now done and is easy to use, as you can see in the attached screenshots.

That should be very useful for when I'm feeling lazy and use my 360 controller - I won't have to mess around unplugging my 3(!) other controllers Smile

--------

Quote from SimulatorRental.com :Anyone have one of the larger i7 processors?
Like the 6950x...

I wouldn't bother if I were you, many-core Xeon equivalents are generally significantly cheaper from what I've read. The Broadwell-Es are mostly for the bragging rights.
I've made them save in the config file, cleaned up the code and re-tested all the updates. I hope to release an update tomorrow (Friday).

Changes from 0.6P to 0.6P2 :

Free view (SHIFT+U mode) :

Free view is now shown as an option in the Escape Menu
New walk mode which is good for wandering around in VR mode

Controllers :

Exit controller screen warning is not shown for real ESC key press
FF device is automatically assigned (if two or more are connected)
A single controller can now be selected (if two or more connected)
LFS tries to move force feedback wheel to centre when car is reset
Button and axis numbers now start at 1 (affects /button and /axis)
Assigned arrow keys work better (e.g. movement in free view mode)

Misc :

You can now select a specific audio device in Audio Options screen

Quote from Degats :While you're working in this area of code, how easy would it be to implement a soft-stop at full lock? (Useful when using turn compensation for a 1:1 wheel turn in any car without messing with settings)

I'll try to have a go at this tomorrow, though there are also a couple of other things I want to do.
ah nice new test patch Thumbs up

was hoping for one so long Taped Shut

hahaHug
Soft-lock would be especially nice for those who use VR. It's very distracting when you know your hands are in a different place to what you're seeing. It's distracting enough when you're not in VR.
Awesome! Cannot wait to test it.
Working Great!

Still testing...

I still need to order more monitors, wheels, and headphones to really test the server in use, I am worried it is not powerful enough to do this. Sometimes when I run 8 to 12 LFS windows, it drops to 10fps, other times it stays over 75fps. This is likely due to using a workstation graphics card instead of gaming card, but when running LFS, it does not seem to allocate the load to the cpu cores as I expected, it seems the first LFS window tries to run spread out on a handful of cores, then the next few LFS windows try to run on the same cores... until they are maxed out then it starts using more cores.

Is anyone else able to test about 10-12 LFS windows?
Running with about 12 AI cars? (1 for every window open)
How well does your computer do?
I've nothing to compare mine too... for all I know its actually doing better then faster Xeons.... maybe per dollar? Smile
I think I had more than 32 LFS windows open, and it was still not using all 32 cores, but they were all running at about 10 fps.

Looking for deals on 21:9 monitors if anyone knows of any...

Since the prices went UP on the 34" panels...
It is looking like it will be an LG 29"...

Also a good dual Opteron Board, as I really need to make the server smaller and lighter, and run windows 10 so I can use a recent video driver and directx 12...
All is working good so far...

I even managed to get the frame rate up a bit while having more than 10 LFS windows each running one or two AI cars, by messing with the LFS settings. I had to turn some things down to keep it between 40-75fps on every LFS window. The next test will be with each LFS on its own monitor, and not tiny windows scattered on one monitor.

It is definitely NOT smooth... I can still see ghosting and jerky frames even when it says 75fps. I need to try running a version of LFS before the frame rate update, because I think it use to run better for me before the update.

One more LFS fix I may need, is a way to keep the mouse cursor VISIBLE on all screens, without having to press N on each window, each time the race restarts. Otherwise it is difficult to know where it is, on 10+ monitors. Smile

Also on 21:9 monitors the status displays that are usually in the corners of 1080 screens, are more in the center of the monitor, maybe in the future they could be moved along the edges in 21:9 resolutions.
2056x1080 and 3440x1440. This may effect the external views being 1080 with black boarders though.
N also makes the mouse cursor visible/invisible... at least it has for almost as long as I've played LFS. You have to press it a few times...

Open more than one LFS window, with car running... and try to move the mouse back and forth between them, you will see what I mean, the mouse is invisible when "racing". It is only visible while toggling N in some cases, and when the menus are visible.
Quote from SimulatorRental.com :N also makes the mouse cursor visible/invisible... at least it has for almost as long as I've played LFS. You have to press it a few times...

Open more than one LFS window, with car running... and try to move the mouse back and forth between them, you will see what I mean, the mouse is invisible when "racing". It is only visible while toggling N in some cases, and when the menus are visible.

Isn't that what Shift+Z do? Keeping the mouse visible all the time or just when there are buttons on screen.
Thanks, I forgot about that button.

I thought there was a key, other then N, I used to mess with mouse cursor back when I used mouse control... wow that was over a decade ago Smile

And it stays ON!!
Scawen,

Is it possible to put a "test" button next to the controller selection, that makes the wheel wiggle? Or have it wiggle a little when it is selected.

This is not that important, so do not waste time on it, unless it is an easy line of code.

It will help when going through to setup 8 to 12 wheels.

This way if I click on a wheel that is setup in front of monitor 4, and the wheel on monitor 8 wiggles, I know I picked the wrong one, without having to turn the wheel back and forth and see if it is making the wheel on monitor 4 turn.

Maybe it already does this and I did not notice??! I took my server apart so I cannot test right now, I am shoe horning it into a computer case half as big, and much lighter.
This is a horrible video... but you can see that it works.
And I waste a lot of time trying to find the mouse on one of the screens, since it was a fresh install Shift Z setting was not saved before I opened all the windows.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uIijzMiisZA
There is no-need to turn up the volume to hear me mumble, I never said anything important. lol

I also just renewed my Commercial LFS License and Upgraded to S3.

I converted the server to Windows 10, Because Graphics Drivers are better supported on the Fire Pro and FreeSync.
Did you experiment with pinning individual instances of LFS to specific cores? Maybe this can help reduce the occasional judder/fps drop.

Anyway, that's a very interesting project Smile

Input / output device selection for multiple LFS instances
(103 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG