The online racing simulator
#1 - zazzn
New Community Voice chat! [thread from 2016]
Hello Everyone,

I've created a new Discord server in hopes that everyone will eventually use it.

https://discord.gg/0148NlmMeXsTDIqZ9

Discord is a new app that allows you to use the browser instead of downloading an app like Teamspeak. While there is more functionality in the app, I think at least getting the community into one place would be a good thing.

I've only created a few channels, and will add more if it starts to pick up. Hopefully, this will work out!
Most of the community use the TC teamspeak when they want to talk so i don't see a point in making another talking server.
Quote from k_badam :Most of the community use the TC teamspeak when they want to talk so i don't see a point in making another talking server.

I wouldn't say most, but perhaps.
Yay! A place where you can now say your opinion into someones headphones
Hi
I think it mostly only makes sense to be on voice-chat with people who are in the same race as yourself. For that purpose most sites/teams/leagues already have a TS or mumble server. I think people are already so used to them they unlikely to change..
#6 - zazzn
Teamspeak is old outdated and doesn't give the control of something like Discord. I'd highly recommend checking out discord. Again over mumble, it's a huge improvement, you can create individual channels, and there can be many admins who control everything.

Point being don't be resistant to try something new, I can say without a shadow of a doubt, I instantly uninstall TS, and I haven't used mumble once since I switched to discord.
Discord is a great app, there is no doubt about that. Being able too use it thought your web browser, without need to install any program/plugin/extensions is awesome.

The permission system looks strong, though a bit complicated at first (not that TS3 is any better, in fact is a mess to tinker with it).

But it lacks a feature IMO is needed before it can replace TS in a community/league environment:
- No whispers, I need to be able to talk to other admins despite being in a different channel.
-
(Kahn62) DELETED by Kahn62 : ERROR CORECTION
I have been using TS for over a decade, and find it to be simple, low bandwidth, under constant developement, and most importantly, I'll say it again, simple. I recently tried Discord, and despite having MANY invites from many keen players in many games, the only thing I can't work out, is how to find and join a room, and speak to someone via voice chat. It's OK for texting questions to admins, but it is DAUNTING for me to use, let alone anyone who is new to voicechat. It seems like hardly anyone ever sets up a room and remains in it for any length of time. Permanant rooms are there, always empty, even when events are supposed to be running. Anyone can set up a TS server, on a spare PC, and host for free without encountering the vampires trying to suck blood, AKA money, from your soul, AKA wallet. Discord seems to be a case of money grubbing gone rampant. I have not Twitched at all, or used most of the other systems for any serious time, so cannot fairly comment on them, but I feel DisCORDing is DisGUSTing. The most important thing I think, though, is unity. It's pointless to have fifteen people spread over six systems, with two to four people in each system, all cursing the drivers they can see in their game, for not being in their voicechat room with them. I raced TOCA, for a long time, on TS, and I know what a diference it makes to a game when you get to know the real people you are racing against. We could not have had our club run for as long as it did without voicechat. The difference in people's attitudes when they can hear the anguish in someone's voice when they screw up is amazing. We would invite trolls to TS, and within a week they would become serious racers, rather than just trying to destroy other people's fun. PS your link here to Discord has expired, so it's pointless posting one if you're not prepared to keep refreshing it as required, whereas a link to your TS server stays up until you take it down or alter it manually. Whatever you decide, just pick one, post it on your site, and put a link in the game to the program and instructions on how to install/join it, and get everyone together for a chat. It's five or six times as much fun gaming on a voicechat program.Thumbs up
P.S. I have personally played Heroes & Generals, Mount & Blade, Team Fortress, Assetto Corsa, Raceroom Racing Experiance, Dirt (various), Quake (various), RACE 07, Unreal, and Automobilista on TS, and I have had no reason to suspect it of having conflicts with, or causing lag in any of them.
Oh, and of course V8Supercars, TOCA, DTM and Race Driver 3, which are all the same game BTW, using the same servers, but sold in diferent countries under different names to appeal to diferent local racing fans.
Way to bump an 6 year old thread. Also tl ;dr
I'm still wondering how Discord is money grubbing gone rampant considering you can use all of its features for free with paid options just extending them a bit.
You aren't getting it for nothing.
Yes, I'm aware you're selling your data for it. But "money grubbing" is a weird way to describe free services.
Well nagware is still annoying to me, and when I see repeated requests to 'boost' this server, by spending real dollars, I get angry. Also if this thread is too old to comment on then maybe it should be deleted. Has the issue been effectively dealt with? If so, then what IS your official response, and how do I get onto whatever is your prefered chatroom?
I could set up a server here myself, if you could just advertise it, so that other players will know it exists.
There's an official LFS discord that's relatively active. Like it or not but platforms like Teamspeak and Mumble have become incredibly niche.
Cool,I searched Discord for ages, and could find no mention of a LFS room anywhere on it. Maybe if I looked for Live for speed, instead of LFS? The search there is not my friend, lol.
#20 - Gunn
Quote from Kahn62 : Also if this thread is too old to comment on then maybe it should be deleted.

Typically, most threads are never too old to be commented on, especially if the topic is still relevant Wink
The discord is in the footer of the forums.

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG