The online racing simulator
Online Racing Championship (ORC) free to test racing game
Recently found it on reddit http://onlineracingchampionship.com/page?id=1

They claim that they used old Formula 1 simulator as a base for physics.

What do you guys think about it?
I can't test it really well, since I don't have proper PC for it at the moment.

To try it out you need to register (providing your email) and download.
not seduced ... handling is very strange ... I tried quickly I have to admit.
Graphics and sound are a bit ... not so nice Big grin
Quote from Flotch :not seduced ... handling is very strange ... I tried quickly I have to admit.
Graphics and sound are a bit ... not so nice Big grin

I felt some severe input lag when driving, but can't tell if it's due to my potato PC (running on processor graphics atm). But force feedback was really nice, that's the key point for me. Need much more testing until I can say if I like it better than AC for example Smile
The FFB for a alpha game that's free is pretyy good imo.

Although will all assists off i feel it's abit too easy to drive Tongue
same here. There is not the "challenge" you may expect from a rocket car like this (even if 'just' driving a F1 is not necessarily "complex" ... being fast is another story Big grin )
Quote from Flotch :same here. There is not the "challenge" you may expect from a rocket car like this (even if 'just' driving a F1 is not necessarily "complex" ... being fast is another story Big grin )

Well, you can set FO8 to be lot easier than WR setups. So I hope that's the setup thing here. Will wait until they get car set up functionality back into the game, and then we can tell more.
I have only played about 30 mins of it so far but it is fun!
I thought it was awfully easy to drive for an formula...

I opened the game and my wheel was set to 900 degrees, and I could go fast and ever do some slides no problem...

With 360 degrees as the virtual wheel, it was possible to do some chain drifts
Looks like the old Geoff Crammond F1 sims...
Hi Guys Smile

Thanks for giving it a try, I really need feedback good and bad to improve ORC.

I haven't had anyone report any issues with input lag, it has been pretty instant on both my machines (even my 6 year old machine). What symptoms are you getting? Are you running in windowed mode or fullscreen? Do you have vsync on/off?

Just to give a bit more info, the car isn't based on F1, it's a slightly lower formula - we had an NDA when working with the (ex-)F1 team and didn't want to get sued, so we got access to really detailed information about a lower formula. Therefore it isn't quite the extremes of F1. Although I would be careful about equating difficulty with accuracy, I drove the sim with real F1 values and it was surprisingly easy to drive at 95%, it's getting the extra 5% is the hard bit Smile

I need to make things a little more configurable, but to set the wheel properly do this: -

- Go in-game / on-track
- Turn your wheel 90 degrees
- Move the multiplier slider (bottom right on controllers tab) until the wheel on-screen matches your real wheel
- Drive
- Be Happy Smile

Any other problems, let me know Smile

Thanks!
Ash
Quote from Ash_McConnell :
I haven't had anyone report any issues with input lag, it has been pretty instant on both my machines (even my 6 year old machine). What symptoms are you getting? Are you running in windowed mode or fullscreen? Do you have vsync on/off?

Well, it was integrated graphics card (and my memory stick is from slower ones). So I got 30 fps and input lag with no surprise Smile I am having decent GPU this time. Will test it later again.

Waiting desperately for next version to try, and also to be able to change setups Wink (Y)
Hi Vitaly Smile

Ah, 30fps is pretty low, it's starting to struggle with that Smile.

I have been busy with the web / driver-stats side of things and more recently family illness and loss, so I haven't got as much done on the actual game side of things as I'd hope.

I had a setup screen, but it was based on buying components etc which I don't want to do any more. I am trying to convert to use Ogre 2.1 (for speed) and do some PBS materials to improve the lighting quality, then I will give the setups some love and release it Smile

Thanks!

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG