The online racing simulator
Test Patch 0.6M2 (now M9)
(168 posts, closed, started )
I did see that. It does turn up if you press the key to turn it on. Big grin

I meant, are there any other times, and it is a problem that it appears in VR mode when you open a text entry dialog?
Basically, Post 79, explains the problem, I want it fixed. I have no problem with VR keyboard opening up with the chat window or anything. And, most of the programs I use are pretty much "dead", no updates, but still used commonly and compatible (untill 0.6m2/3/4/5/6/7) with lfs versions. Also, I would like 0.6M8 as an official version Tongue!
It seems more like you need a way to switch on lights or sound a horn through InSim. Because the way it has to be done now sounds like quite a nasty hack!
Quote from matze54564 :
When setup "Maximum buffered Frames" to 2 and use "in race car data" F9 or F10, the buffered frames will be disabled

Quote from Scawen :I can't reproduce that.

Does it happen every time, as soon as you press F9 or F10?

Which LFS version are you using? Which track / car / etc...

It happen when the "in race car data" Display is on. When the display turned off, the frames are buffered again. Maybe you can only see the effect on a slower Computer. The Image jump also 2 frames before when display Car data turned on. This is very good visible while driving. Nonsmooth graphics are only reproducable when unbuffered frames are not smooth and buffered smooth and vsync on.

It happen in every Track and Car, but i was testing with a BF1 on AS-Historic, because i have in HS Historic smooth graphics.
I use always the newest testpatch when posting on test patch forum.
Hoping 16 nm APU coming soon for better Hardware Smile

Edit: The Upgrade to M7 works not. The exe and zip, both are damaged.
When are we able to get Arabic translate ?
Edit : we can help to translate
Quote from matze54564 :Edit: The Upgrade to M7 works not. The exe and zip, both are damaged.

I can confirm that. Both files are corrupted, cannot patch to M7.

Virtual keyboard is interesting. You can even run Window's task manager by clicking there on CTRL+SHIFT+ESC. Big grin

TIP on Polish keyboard.
Most national characters are typed by combining AltGr with Latin equivalent. The only one exception is źŹ (Z with apostrophe) it is made from AltGr+X beacuse AltGr+Z is occupied by żŻ (Z with dot above).
Quote from matze54564 :The Upgrade to M7 works not. The exe and zip, both are damaged.

Thanks, I've fixed them now.

Quote from QATAR948 :When are we able to get Arabic translate ?
Edit : we can help to translate

I am interested in this but can't do it now. The main complication is the reverse direction text and I still need to research and code for this. But I must keep it lower priority than the tyre physics.

Quote from yaper :TIP on Polish keyboard.
Most national characters are typed by combining AltGr with Latin equivalent. The only one exception is źŹ (Z with apostrophe) it is made from AltGr+X beacuse AltGr+Z is occupied by żŻ (Z with dot above).

Does that work correctly in the LFS virtual keyboard? LFS calls Windows functions that should be handling all these character conversions.
Quote from cargame.nl :Isn't it most efficient to directly create a proper siren sound (horn type 6?) and some strobe/flash algorithm where the head/taillights + indicators randomly alternate on and off (shift-3)?

I know some racers are still very much against this kind of stuff...

We only need to have an option to not allow horn=6 and strobe in server settings and nobody would have any reason to hate these features.
God, the community has turned a racing simulator into a relaxing cruise game. DAMN U ADDICTING AND AWESOME INSIM PROGRESSION!!!
Quote from Scawen :It seems more like you need a way to switch on lights or sound a horn through InSim. Because the way it has to be done now sounds like quite a nasty hack!

Well, the basic principle of sending keys to LFS isn't too much of a hack, though it does require messing with some low-level windows APIs - I don't know if it even works on linux/wine.
The only available methods of avoiding problems however, are very hacky and don't even work reliably.
You do also have to be very careful about the flashing rates - go too fast and it won't show up properly (or at all) to other players in multiplayer.
There is also a small bug where if someone has the horn on when you join the server, you won't hear it at all until they turn it off and on again.

Anywho, rambling aside, if you're considering some InSim support here are some thoughts:

As Dave said, a built in lights pattern would certainly be more efficient - moreso than it is now - and more reliable in multiplayer. Similarly, built-in support for toggling the horn(s) should also be more reliable. Custom patterns with sane update rates may not be too bad though, as it would use somewhat less data and fewer packets than, say, MCI.
It certainly wouldn't be this level of insanity: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKbyyC_M9vM Wink

For the pattern itself, a simple 1-2Hz "wig-wag" for the front/rear headlights would probably be plenty, if possible. I'm personally not a fan of using left/right indicators because it removes the possibility of letting other players know your intentions. More complex patterns with multiple light sections would be nice, but I know that's opening another can of worms, so I wouldn't bother with that any time soon (probably something for a new lighting engine tbh).

A way for servers to prevent use of flashing lights/sirens for specific users, or at least some kind of InSim notification that they're active, would be very helpful I think.
Quote from Scawen :That is pretty stupid...

Quote from Flame CZE :It is stupid...

Quote from cargame.nl :It is not stupid...

It´s useless to discuss if SHIFT+S is stupid or not, some public server do have this rules for some reasons. Either you accept the rules or you better drive on a different server (if there are any).

Quote from cargame.nl :...The thing what just2fast is describing is that he has not enough keys on his wheel. Now, is this a problem of the programmer or the person which invests in a wheel. I think I know the answer. There are many Playstation a-like wheels available nowadays with loads of buttons. Go and grab one if you like racing Tilt

The wheel in my special case is a G25. Maybe not a highend wheel, but still a fairly good one. And yes a G25 has more than 2 button, but NOT on the wheel directly. They´re on the shifter module instead.
The point is, that in VR you have to find the buttons blindly. So putting commands on the shifter module makes only sense if they´re not time critical. SHIFT+S is time critical.

As cool VR is, it also has drawbacks and interacting with hardware/controllers is definitely one of them. Simply this are new challenges for users and developers.
From a users perspective of course I can buy different hardware, but I also can give feedback what on software side might can be improved. Especially if this affects also other users.
Attached images
g25.jpg
-
(Degats) DELETED by Scawen : response to vob mod image, now deleted
Solved at least for me. I assigned SHIFT+S to the clutch pedal in the Logitech Software.

However my improvement suggestions for VR are still valid:

Quote from just2fast :
a) Wheel button doubleclick -> new assignment possibility
b) Wheel button combinations e.g. Button A + Button B -> new assignement possibility

or c) optional one button solution for "look and click"

Quote from Degats :The Logitech profiler has a Shift button function, that allows alternate controls to be assigned to other buttons while it is pressed (like the shift key on a keyboard).

If you assign one of the red buttons on your G25 wheel, then you can increase the number of hands-on accessible functions to 6 (from 4 originally, including the paddles).

For example, if you assign the left red button as Shift, then you could do:
Left/Right Paddle: ShiftDown/Up
Left Red + Left Paddle: VR Keyboard
Left Red + Right Paddle: VR Click
Left Red + Right Red: Spectate
Right Red: ???

Ok thanks, I will look into this!
Quote from yaper :In M7 Polish characters are working correctly in VK.

Cosmetic note on ą character (a with ogonek/peduncle). In LFS font, the ogonek should be more aligned to the right.
www.twardoch.com/download/polishhowto/ogonek.html

Ogonek looks alright to me. Quote from your link:
Quote :The ogonek should never exceed the right boundary of the basic glyph. It makes the letter loose its natural harmony and balance and thus "flip" to the right.

And it's not like Scawen desinged those letters, it's just a font.

Patch works flawlessly for me.
-
(lfsrm) DELETED by Scawen : response to vob mod image, now deleted
-
(k_badam) DELETED by Scawen : response to vob mod image, now deleted
Quote from Amynue :And it's not like Scawen desinged those letters, it's just a font.

I did actually.

In fact Mark Healey did the original (ASCII characters only) using my font editor.

Since then I've updated them, following the same style, thinned them a little at one point, and added many new characters when we went for the international support.
Just noticed something regarding the auto-update system (that's probably not relevant to the ongoing discussion) and figured I'd mention it:

It appears as if LFS checks for an updated version when you click on the Multiplayer screen but not when you unlock the game. And since you need to unlock LFS after an update (at least in my case going from 0.6K to 0.6M) you might need to use 2 unlocks.

ie:
  • Launch (unlocked) instance of LFS
  • Unlock the Demo
  • Go online (proceed to be prompted about the update, download, install and restart LFS)
  • Unlock the Demo a second time
In short: For a smoother experience, perhaps do an update check before opening the unlock screen.

I had 2 unlocks so I'm good but this approach would probably save some time for both the users and ScaViEr.
Quote from Scawen :I did actually.

In fact Mark Healey did the original (ASCII characters only) using my font editor.

Since then I've updated them, following the same style, thinned them a little at one point, and added many new characters when we went for the international support.

I wasn't aware of that, sorry for spreading misinformation.
If you've designed that ogonek, it's a nice one.
Quote from felplacerad :Just noticed something regarding the auto-update system (that's probably not relevant to the ongoing discussion) and figured I'd mention it:

It appears as if LFS checks for an updated version when you click on the Multiplayer screen but not when you unlock the game. And since you need to unlock LFS after an update (at least in my case going from 0.6K to 0.6M) you might need to use 2 unlocks.

ie:
  • Launch (unlocked) instance of LFS
  • Unlock the Demo
  • Go online (proceed to be prompted about the update, download, install and restart LFS)
  • Unlock the Demo a second time
In short: For a smoother experience, perhaps do an update check before opening the unlock screen.

I had 2 unlocks so I'm good but this approach would probably save some time for both the users and ScaViEr.

Usually, when there's a new version unlocks are getting reset so that shouldn't be a problem.

Although i like your idea, especially for the main reason that it's easier to know if there's a new version. Cause if you play singleplayer, connecting directly to a server, or anything, you won't really know.
P.S It's not that easily visible at that side to understand and find out that there's a new version.
A new test patch is available which includes:

- more accurate and lower latency horn and flash
- a special InSim packet to control lights and horn
- siren sounds have been added Big grin

https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/89160

0.6M8 is mainly compatible with 0.6M

- You can connect online with 0.6M
- You can play replays from 0.6M
- An M8 guest's horn or flash will not be seen on old guests
- The host must be M8 or later to allow a guest to use a siren

Changes from 0.6M7 to 0.6M8 :

More translation updates, thank you translators

Multiplayer :

More accurate horn and flash with shorter transmission delay

Siren sound :

Text command /siren=off/fast/slow
Only allowed on cars with a horn and if allowed by host
Allow a multiplayer guest to use siren : /cansiren username 1

InSim :

New ISS state flags to notify if local PC is in dialog / text entry
New packet SMALL_LCS - set local car switches (lights, horn, siren)
Scawen, that is brilliant! Tongue
So if I understand correctly the host has to allow a guest to use a siren, but the server can't turn on the siren for the user, correct?

I think cruise servers will love this. Smile
I imagine if you do /cansiren username 0 it will turn it off.
The /cansiren command did not for me.
I start server via "Multiplayer" - "Start new host"
Then entered:
/cansiren gutholz 0
which gave: "User name is not valid"
(/spec command worked)

Siren itself works. wub wub wub. Ya right
This thread is closed

Test Patch 0.6M2 (now M9)
(168 posts, closed, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG