The online racing simulator
Freelook and view centering
(10 posts, started )
#1 - kmh
I recently installed freelook to give it a whirl, and found it a nice addition. Freelook is 2-DOF TrackIR-like application, that tracks a marker using nothing but a cheap COTS webcam. Well, I found it did work when using mouselook, but sadly there's is one little niggle that made give up on it.

When using freelook, the webcam sometimes loses centre, so you need to reset. The reset button should be mapped to the "look forward" or "center view" button, but to my chagrin I haven't found any key when looking trough the wiki manual.

Can anyone tell me how I can bind view centering to a single button?
In freelook I believe there is a option to map the reset and the center, you can either map it to a keyboard button or a button on the controller. Under profiles (in freelook) there should be 3 buttons if I remmember correctly.

Edit- From my trials I've noticed that another program, similar to freelook works WAY better. It's much more accurate and it works much better even for very low and cheap webcams. It's called HeadMouse, look for it on google, If you can't find it I can send it to you.
I'm using an Emagin z800 hmd with tracking in it and the head tracking in LFS is pretty aveage. It's more than likely the tracker in the headset. But the guy who's made the tracking software for the z800 made a binding key. It works ok but I can't do a single lap without needing it at least once.

Do Track IR people have the same problem????
Im planning on getting Track IR, the alternatives don't really work well for me. The Track IR I think you can center it when you center your head, and considering it operates at 120 fps it should be very smooth and much easier to operate since its designed for that purpose.
#5 - Dumpy
I'm trying to get Freelook to work also and am having the same problem. LFS doesn't seem to have a button to center the view. I've noticed when you press ESC to get the menu the view snaps back into its original position, it just needs another button that will snap the view back like that but without summoning the menu I think.
#6 - kmh
So am I correct in assuming that there is no way to bind view centering to a single button?
IIRC the right mouse button resets view to center (at least for freelook with mouse)
#8 - Dumpy
Quote from Octane :IIRC the right mouse button resets view to center (at least for freelook with mouse)

Wow thanks, that's true! If that's documented anywhere, I didn't see it. That'll sure save me the time spent manually trying to center the camera everytime I bump the mouse . I do still wish there was a key press to do the same though.

I've gotten freelook working pretty well otherwise though, maybe I'll post my profile file once I tweak it a little more. I want to experiment with Look Roll .
#9 - kmh
Well, there probably is some way to bind it to a joystick key if one would twiddle a bit with the config files. I'll look into it; now that I know what to look for (RMB) it's going to be a lot easier.
Yup, I'm using Joy2Key for that.

I tried assigning look function to Axis mode, and in the controls I set Look Heading to MouseX and Look Roll to MouseY and it looked pretty nice leaning into turns. Unforunately the right-click view reset doesn't work when the look function is set to Axis, so I went back to MouseXY mode.

(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG