The online racing simulator
Sound and lap times.
(32 posts, started )
Quote from Jakg :15...

It was a birthday present from my parent of all people

Damn, How come I never got to sniff empty vodka bottles?
I have my pedals against a piece of wood which is against my subwoofer. It gives me an excellent representation of what the engine is doing. Not so much on the tires. However, some small tranducers, like a small pair of headphones, taken apart and built into two separate bracelets might do the trick. So, a stereo speaker system with a sub woofer, headphone bracelet instead of speakers, a roomate to tell you when it's too loud, and off you go.

Also, I'm kinda thinking an added gauge in the F9 view might be sorta easy. Something fed by the forces view, but not so sproingy. Maybe four little bars that go from green to yellow to red...
Quote from Jertje :Of course it would have been a lot harder to learn the track and the handling of the car if I started practicing deaf, or without sound, but the potential to go fast is definitely there!

I think this is definitely an important point.
#29 - ste_
Quote from steve :As you are deaf, might I suggest a couple of BASS Shakers? perhaps you could set them up under your chair and have it so you can actually 'feel' the sound through vibrations.

He's deaf not blind, no need for all bold
Without sound I'm a little off pace, about a second or so. Thing is with sound, you only hear stuff after its happened, so you react to it, instead of taking control of it and preventing it from happening at all. So I don't believe it makes a big difference to laptimes if you pratice without sound. Racing in a pack though, you would be at a slight disadvantage.

If you have ever played a PS2 game called Enthusia, that has an interesting display system that I would imagine is very useful when played without sound. It has A G force display that also shows how loaded each individual tyre is, and how close you are to their traction limit. Maybe one day such a feature will be integrated into LFS, or written by a 3rd party as an overlay app.
Quote from Bawbag :Maybe just 2 simple bars, like teh throttle and brake bars. Like at the side or somewhere you could have a bar which goes full when you need to change gear. And for the skidding surely there could be some sort of bar again which shows how much skindding the tyre is doing.

Just an idea as the tyre skidding is something that used to get me alot when starting out in the game and everybody at early stages turn to much.

That could be an idea. I need to hear tyres sound to be aware if they are spinning or not.. otherwise all the rest just gives more "awareness" of what's around of you (followers, cars near you and such) but i guess that as someone else said your momo with better FF settings may allow you to get decent times. Anyway Bawbag's bar idea is a good one, +2 for me!
Quote from ste_ :He's deaf not blind, no need for all bold

haha I only bolded it because I knew someone would make that comment :P

Sound and lap times.
(32 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG