The online racing simulator
Copying over some LFS config files to new clean installation - but which files?
Howdy.
Have just upgraded OS and am currently torn between simply dragging over my old installation or going with a new clean one and pulling in all the important files.
New clean one sounds good, but it's not immediately clear to me which files to carry over...
Didn't find anything in the forum or wiki - did I miss something obvious?

Basically, it's easy to work out how to carry over old scripts, .SETs and .CVWs, but quite a lot of the rest is a bit more ambiguous.

What's usr.bin? And views.bin?
Help/pointers would be much appreciated folks...
OK... wow. Maybe it isn't such a trivially easy request after all.
I felt embarrassed even posting this question, despite having searched the forums beforehand (expecting to be flamed with "read the FAQ!", cos it feels like it oughta be a FAQ...).

I guess I will just keep using guesswork :-/
#3 - Bean0
As long as there's nothing wrong with your old install, just copy the whole thing over.

What you can do if you have some errors with textures or something, is to do a fresh install into a new folder, then just copy and overwrite the folders containing the textures.
If you copy to new location then use the "Associations tool" so that replays & server links etc point to the correct location of LFS.exe again. ( https://www.lfs.net/downloads )
I think that is easiest way?
OK, thanks very much for the suggestions, both of you. The file-associations thing had indeed been one of my concerns - didn't know there was a separate tool to sort that out.

The old installation doesn't have specific problems, so I probably will just go back to it. It's just really really full of cruft, and settings which I changed years ago while experimenting and then forgot to change back (god only knows which ones).
Now and then I've purged parts of it, manually - e.g. firstly reminding myself which directories full of skin images are safe to empty and then doing that...

(Actually it might be nice if LFS just had a button for purging third-party skins that haven't been accessed for N months? And maybe MPR/SPR files too Smile)
I realise I'm a bit late with this, but I would suggest (in order) ....

Setups
Skins
Layouts
InSim(s)
Spr/Mpr
Sounds

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG