The online racing simulator
DDoS protection.
(8 posts, started )

Poll : Should all servers been protected due a DDoS?

Yes they need.
Nah, i think it will hit more problems.
DDoS protection.
Hello everyone,

I was on a few servers and they where target by a DDoS attack. Maybe it would be great if there in S1, S2 and S3 a DDoS protection like as on websites what you have. Servers getting flooted by bandwidth each minutes. What do you think?
You don't have a clue of how internet works, right? (No ofence intended)

LFS can't protect anyone from a DDoS, not even themselves. All you can do is hire a company that protects you, buy the adecuate hardware and not leak your IP address if possible.

All LFS could do is not conecting you directly to the dedicated server, using a proxy throught the master server, but that would increase the latency hugely, so it is not that useful to make it work this way.
Quote from Whiskey :You don't have a clue of how internet works, right? (No ofence intended)

LFS can't protect anyone from a DDoS, not even themselves. All you can do is hire a company that protects you, buy the adecuate hardware and not leak your IP address if possible.

All LFS could do is not conecting you directly to the dedicated server, using a proxy throught the master server, but that would increase the latency hugely, so it is not that useful to make it work this way.

There are programs and sources for so your first line may you take back Wink
DoS attacks cannot be effectively prevented because of the very nature how the Internet works. If the attacker has a big enough gun, they can always flood your downlink. Mitigation of some lamely executed DoS attacks can be done by a properly configured firewall. I don't know why LFS should be concerned by this, not to mention that LFS itself cannot really do much once you are under attack.
There are ways to prevent such a thing, if you look at hosting companies, a lot have an DDoS protection, Rack Service and MHServers, well that stands in their description, but I know that there are sources for DDoS, like myself I'm using for my sites CloudFlare and game server, there is also such a resemblance.
CloudFare and such things don't avoid DDoS attacks, they just "eat" all the traffic.

A DDoS attack consist in receiving more connections than your hardware can handle. The only real protection is routing your website traffic throught a company with enough infrastructure to deal with it. As I already said this is not useful for game servers, where you need real time and stable conection.
Quote from joordy599 :There are ways to prevent such a thing, if you look at hosting companies, a lot have an DDoS protection, Rack Service and MHServers, well that stands in their description, but I know that there are sources for DDoS, like myself I'm using for my sites CloudFlare and game server, there is also such a resemblance.

Instead of arguing about how the Internet works, could you suggest what you think LFS could do against DoS? Because I cannot think of anything that would be really effective.
-
(Racer X NZ) DELETED by Flame CZE : unrelated / off-topic
For starters, ISP's (or anyone with an AS number) should disallow outgoing spoofed packets. They know the IP addresses assigned to them, so they can block anything else.
It would make the world a better place if all of them would do this.

DDoS protection.
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG