The online racing simulator
Steam if fu*king me over, please help!
(10 posts, started )
Aight, since it's little activity here, I though it would be a good idea to use this forum for something! And that "something" is my Steam, which have desided to live it's own life for the last half year.

What's basically happening is that every download will start and reach full speed for about 10 seconds, before it stops and schedules itself to start download 5 minutes later.

I'v read around, and it seems to be different sollutions, but none of the following worked for me:
* Reset router/modem * - Did that, no change, even tried directly into modem, no change.
* Change download region * - No change.
* Limit the download / upload speed to way below the maximum capacity of the DSL line * No change.
* Use big picture mode when downloading * No Change.
* Remove Steam and reinstall everything * Did that, Steam still beeing an ass.

Getting tired of this and I have no idea why it started to do this. As far as I can tell I can't recall doing anything, Steam just desided to screw me (the downloads) over.

PS: I have 25mbit/2mbit line, and ran a 12 hour ping/trace on it. Around 1-5% package loss, but that should be within the reasonable.. or?
Are you sure it's steam and not your ISP throttling you?
Can't be sure about anything, so just to make sure I did call the ISP and explaining the situation. They of course refused to believe it was anything of their controll, and made me do the usual retard-dance around restarting everything, checking cables and then 60 minutes later reach the conclusion "you're ****ed mate" >.<
Hey TVE. Does this only happen with steam? or this happens with any direct download or instalation non related to steam?

I have a friend who had a similar problem, turns out it was his messed up hard drive. He would start a download on steam, it would download for a few seconds then it would stop for a few seconds sometimes even minutes. Then it would take off again, then stop, and so on. Check to see when the download stops if it says any messages like "alocating space" or "writing on disk" or something of this nature.

Try to do a checkdisk on your hard drive and see if has any damaged sectors or if it has any errors. It will just a take a few minutes and i guess its worth a try.

Btw, the only solution for my friend was a new hard drive.
Hmm, the checkdisk is a built-in feature for W7 or must I download something? Will give it a propper try tomorrow and see. Oh and it's allways on Steam while downloading. Never seem to be any problems when updating games from Blizz Launcher or direct downloads from browser.
You have both options. W7 has a built-in feature and it should be enough just to check if there are any major problems with your HD. Just right click on your HD --- properties --- tools --- error checking. If you want a more detailed version of this, there are plenty diferent softwares to check your hd. But since this is just a triage, i think you are safe with W7 tool.
Quote from The Very End :Hmm, the checkdisk is a built-in feature for W7 or must I download something? Will give it a propper try tomorrow and see. Oh and it's allways on Steam while downloading. Never seem to be any problems when updating games from Blizz Launcher or direct downloads from browser.

Partition properties -> Tools -> Check for errors or something like that. But if you want to really know what state is your drive in, then do a full diskcheck which will take a few hours and use HDTune Pro to see if there are any write errors.

I have had the same issue on Win 10, but I reinstalled Win 10 again a few days later (switched from Edu to Pro) and the problem disappeared... But I think it might have something to do with your connection (1-5% is a lot actually), because I switched from WiFi to UTP cable about the same time when I reinstalled Windows and that's when my issue disappeared.

Try connecting via cable if you are currently on WiFi and see if there is any difference, or get your PC and router closer together if they are not close now. You might get lucky.

E: ninja'd I guess
Thanks for the replies. I did run a propper full scan but could not find any problems. But I do not understand why Steam chose to do this? It must be some sort of settings they do that forces my downloads to stop... Blergh ;p well, I'll just let Steam run in background and eventually things are downloaded over the course of days ;p
Since I still have no idea are you using cable or WiFi, I'm gonna repeat myself a bit... If you are on WiFi, you might get connection drops which cause loss of connection to the Steam server which causes download restart. Why does Steam have a 5 minute retry timer? I do not know. Try googling it, it might be possible to reduce that time.
Oh sorry Smile Tried with cable, same results. Will give it a try googling that.
-
(GAVD999) DELETED by GAVD999 : ss

(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG