The online racing simulator
Guide: How to run LFS on Linux or Mac OS X
Hey guys,

So we do have a wiki article describing how to run a LFS host on Linux but on the client side the information is heavily scattered across the forum. I think it's about time we put together a nice step-by-step guide on how to get going on Linux and OS X.

For brevity, the post was cleaned up. The articles have been created and exist on the wiki:
Great job! All works in reality as in the description. I have tested this on Ubuntu and derivative distributions from it.
Thanks Dygear for confirming that it works. Though if I remember correctly (I rarely use OSX) Winebottler has some options when setting up an application (such as creating a "portable" package). I'll have a look and will create the wiki articles tonight.

By the way, I mentioned Bootcamp in my previous post but I now realize that it was Homebrew I was thinking of. Does Mac users even use Homebrew for Wine or does everyone use Winebottler?
And oh, I forgot one important aspect: the configuration of input devices, primarily a Wheel. But I guess some people might be interested in gamepads, also.

I remember LTWheelConf but apparently that functionality has been implemented into the kernel (does anyone know what version?). If someone have setup a wheel in Linux recently I would not mind receiving some feedback on the matter.

I've got a G25 and a Xbox 360 Wireless Controller. I'll try to cover both.

Edit: Ok, my current kernel (3.16.7) had no problem identifying my G25 and wine+LFS picked it up nicely, too. Although I did not notice any force feedback before running ffcfstress (provided by the "joystick" package) to test the FF. But to be honest calling this "Force Feedback" is VERY kind -- "FORCE" seems more appropriate since the only effect I can notice is the centering spring. Is this all to be expected?

Edit: So since we're not able to use ltwheelconf anymore am I correct in assuming that ffset is the way to go for configuring gain and autocenter while range should be configured by editing /sys/module/hid_logitech/drivers/hid:logitech/*:*/range by hand? There is no one tool to rule them all? Smile
Wiki is always better than lots of spread forum threads Thumbs up

I added link from main page under "Misc" section:
http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Main_Page
I think also important with manual that every article can be reached from somewhere.
Either from mainpage or from related article etc
Nice job on the Wiki. As far as the Mac side of things, I'm running the Beta of 10.11 now, and WineBottler works like a charm still. Homebrew and Ports complain and refuse to install on platforms they don't know. Because I'm on 10.11 El Captain Dev preview I can't even try to install brew or ports. WineBottler just works. Can't tell you about controller support as I use a mouse.
#10 - uiop
Thanks felplacerad
It is working!
Quote from felplacerad :And oh, I forgot one important aspect: the configuration of input devices, primarily a Wheel. But I guess some people might be interested in gamepads, also.

I remember LTWheelConf but apparently that functionality has been implemented into the kernel (does anyone know what version?). If someone have setup a wheel in Linux recently I would not mind receiving some feedback on the matter.

I've got a G25 and a Xbox 360 Wireless Controller. I'll try to cover both.

Edit: Ok, my current kernel (3.16.7) had no problem identifying my G25 and wine+LFS picked it up nicely, too. Although I did not notice any force feedback before running ffcfstress (provided by the "joystick" package) to test the FF. But to be honest calling this "Force Feedback" is VERY kind -- "FORCE" seems more appropriate since the only effect I can notice is the centering spring. Is this all to be expected?

Edit: So since we're not able to use ltwheelconf anymore am I correct in assuming that ffset is the way to go for configuring gain and autocenter while range should be configured by editing /sys/module/hid_logitech/drivers/hid:logitech/*:*/range by hand? There is no one tool to rule them all? Smile

The brief history of Logitech wheels support in Linux can be summarized like this:

- 3.2 Initial support for force feedback and range change, DFP, DFGT, G25 and G27 supported
- 3.5 G27 LEDs support added
- 3.10 Support for a newer revision of DFGT added
- 3.13 Various improvements to the handling of autocentering and "constant force" force feedback effect
- 3.14 Support for newer revision of G27
- 4.1 Reworked wheel identification and mode switching code, all current and future revisions of supported wheels should be recognized properly
- 4.2 (currently in -rc7) Various cleanups and improvements, most of them irrelevant for a general user

... Future plans
- G29 support: could land any day
- Support for other force feedback effects that "constant force": In the works, proof of concept code working, lots of testing required

Force feedback is mostly a kernel thing. Besides patching the kernel there is not much more that can be done to improve the experience. Universal tools to set the range etc. won't happen for a long while - if ever - because this stuff is all vendor-specific with no standardized interface such a tool could leverage.

I noticed that the Wiki page concentrates only on Debian at the moment, maybe a bit of restructuring so that instructions for other distros can be added easily is a good idea?
Wow! Thanks for the summary and future plans! I had no idea.

"Noticed", huh? That's quite an understatement! Smile

I'd love make it more general but I need to think a second about how to organize the topics to make sense across different distros without having duplicates of common instructions.

Let's see:

Common:
What to expect
Configure a game controller (except the installation of the "joystick" package, I guess (if it's even needed in all cases).
Increase process priority
Launch LFS from a headless environment

The rest is probably distro-specific.

Perhaps crate distro-specific sub-items under the "Basic setup" topic, ie:

2 Basic setup
2.1 Debian
2.1.1 Prepare your system
2.2 foo

Hmm, tricky. Probably should try to find a similar article on the Internet and see how they've got it organized.

I was thinking about covering Arch Linux but I bet the Arch users are the one's with the least need of help with stuff like this.
Question :
sudo apt-get install joystick

Is that also for wheel configuration? Perhaps explicitely note that to avoid confusion? I'm seeing myself trying to install "sudo apt-get install wheel" Smile
Quote from Victor :Question :
sudo apt-get install joystick

Is that also for wheel configuration? Perhaps explicitely note that to avoid confusion? I'm seeing myself trying to install "sudo apt-get install wheel" Smile

Actually it preceding sentence said "Install the package that allows you to test, calibrate and alter the configuration of your joystick/wheel", but I changed it to "Install the package that allows you to test, calibrate and alter the configuration of your input device (joystick as well as wheel)" and boldified it a bit.
Nice. Yeah I saw the joystick/wheel bit, but .. there was wiggle room Big grin
Slow day today so I had a go at Mac OS X.

Seems to work very well but I'd be thankful if someone else could help me confirm if the following (outline) works:

tested on
---------
MacBook Pro Late 2013
OS X El Capitan (10.11.1)
wine-1.8

outline
-------

# install homebrew
ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install)"

# make sure the homebrew repo is up-to-date
brew update
brew upgrade

# install wine and cabextract (this will take a while)
brew install wine cabextract

# install winetricks and required dlls
curl -o /usr/local/bin/winetricks https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Winetricks/winetricks/master/src/winetricks
chmod +x /usr/local/bin/winetricks
winetricks d3dcompiler_43 d3dx9_43

# download lfs
curl -O http://filer.liveforspeed.se/LFS_S3_6K_setup.exe

# install lfs
wine LFS_S3_6K_setup.exe

# launch lfs
cd ~/.wine/drive_c/LFS/
wine LFS.exe

I know that Winebottler would be an alternative method to set things up but Brew is actually really nice.

If any of you agree on this approach I'll go ahead and create an additional Wiki article (It'll be similar to the Linux article I wrote here: http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Running_LFS_on_Linux).
Alternative method using WineBottler (Only GUI, no terminal):

Download WineBottler (1.8-rc4 development) from http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/
(Page is a bit cluttered, direct link: http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/combo/builds/WineBottlerCombo_1.8-rc4.dmg)

# Install WineBottler
Open the .dmg ("WineBottler Combo") and drag Wine.app to the Applications folder (Winebottler.app does not need to be installed).

# Install required DLLs with winetricks
(If not already running, launch Wine.App)
Click the Wine glass icon in the menu bar and select "Winetricks"
Check "d3dcompiler_43" and "d3dx9_43", then click "Apply"

# Download and install LFS
Download LFS from the list of mirrors here: https://www.lfs.net/downloads
Double click (or possibly right click and select "Open With" -> "Wine.app")
When prompted about "Wine.app" is an application downloaded from the internet [...]" Click "Open"

# Launch LFS
With the default options, LFS will be installed in "~/Wine\ Files/drive_c/LFS/"
The icons created on desktop ("LFS.lnk" and "LFS.desktop") does not seem to work.
Instead, open Finder and navigate to your Home Folder -> Wine Files -> drive_c -> LFS
Double click LFS.exe

# Change icon and Create shortcut
Find an icon that you like (preferably transparent), I simply chose https://www.lfs.net/favicon.ico but .PNGs will also work.
Right click the image and select "Copy Image"
Navigate to your Home Directory -> Wine Files -> drive_c -> LFS
Right click on LFS.exe and select "Get Info"
Click on the icon in the top left corner and press cmd + v to paste the image.

To create a shortcut, simply drag LFS.exe to your launchpad.

Tomorrow, or next week, I'll test with my G25/Wireless controllers and create the article.

edit: If anyone has experience using a (for example) a Logitech wheel on OS X I'd like to hear your thoughts.
Ok here we go: http://en.lfsmanual.net/wiki/Running_LFS_on_OS_X

The only issue I came across was that the functionality provided by the FFB kext is disabled once you enable FTW (clutch, separate pedals and 900 degrees rotation).

So it seems that you have to choose between proper input or FFB. Frown

jackhumbert/FreeTheWheel is a fork of the original project (Feral Interactive) and it states "Force Feedback with the LogitechForceFeedback.kext" but that binary didn't work either. At least not with my G25.
Quote from MandulAA :Nice, looking forward to translate it to the Hungarian LFS Manual, so more people can read about running LFS on OSX.

Cool! I suggest waiting a few days though in case the article needs changing.
Hello everyone! I know this is an old thread, but could not find anything else relevant.
How is the support for the G27s LEDs in Linux? Anyone using it, or knowing how to get it working?
I added a note to the OS X guide that it won't work on OS X 10.15 Catalina or newer due to the lack of 32 bit support, including in WINE. I left alternatives of either using virtualization (VMWare/VirtualBox/Parallels) or dual boot (Boot Camp).

It's also likely that in the next 6 months, even virtualization/dual boot becomes impossible (or unfeasable due to speed) on some systems as Apple transitions away from x86 towards ARM processors.

Guide: How to run LFS on Linux or Mac OS X
(22 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG