The online racing simulator
Formula E
(122 posts, started )
Wow. Just wow.
Clever move
"10/10 best move ever" - IGN
Something is off. When they make contact they have not started braking yet. Heidfeld is almost 2 car lengths back when Prost looks behind for the last time. How did Heidfled gain almost 3 car lengths in less than 50 meters??? Tow ? Don't think so. It's like he magically unlocked 70 hp...

If I'm Prost I don't expect Heidfeld to be there...at all.
Quote from PhilS13 :Something is off. When they make contact they have not started braking yet. Heidfeld is almost 2 car lengths back when Prost looks behind for the last time. How did Heidfled gain almost 3 car lengths in less than 50 meters??? Tow ? Don't think so. It's like he magically unlocked 70 hp...

Prost appeared to have been conserving battery power for a significant amount of time beforehand. Look at how Heidfeld closed the gap. Even if Prost didn't expect Heidfeld to be there he shouldn't have moved to 'defend' so aggressively.
Quote from PhilS13 :Something is off. When they make contact they have not started braking yet. Heidfeld is almost 2 car lengths back when Prost looks behind for the last time. How did Heidfled gain almost 3 car lengths in less than 50 meters??? Tow ? Don't think so. It's like he magically unlocked 70 hp...

These cars rubber band a lot. If you watch the race you'll see gaps stretch out then condense really quickly. Sometimes someone can gain over half a second just within one corner

Idk if that's because the drivers still haven't figured out how to conserve efficiently with the cars yet or if that's just the nature of these kinds of battery racing but by the end of the race Prost should he aware enough to know Heidfeld is coming. Heidfeld looked close enough imo to see that he would have dived
The gap had been constant for the last 3 laps before.

I get what you are both saying and it's 100% his fault I just think people are being too harsh on him. A dive bomb happens under braking. To me it's a move to prevent a dive bomb but holy shit the car is already alongside before they even start braking.
Just watched the race someone uploaded onto Youtube - quite exciting, and way better than the 1st race in China.

Bit silly that the organisers picked the same weekend as the final F1 race.

Was hoping the women drivers would do better this race, but not to be.
When you watch that prost move on Heidfeld in slow mo, you can actually see the car snap under braking. Now whether Prost should have been more circumspect is a different matter, but I don't think he actually meant to turn into Heidfeld. I think the track was bumpy just as he got into the serious braking zone.
Prost was at fault. He looked both ways and then turned....
Quote from sinanju :Bit silly that the organisers picked the same weekend as the final F1 race.

Indeed. They could have timed that better.

funny pitstop scene at minute 23:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6gqTs4tU_Sw

Some more background info and stats would be nice to have..
Basically like LFSstats
Or for example battery-charge plotted over time of the race so one can understand better how much it is about saving battery vs driving etc. But then no race series really publishes such things. With all the "social media" blabla I hoped they would do such things a bit but no
Courtesy of YouTube, saw the last 2 races - Buenos Aires and Miami, which I thought were much better than the opening few races - maybe the slightly wider streets helped?

Noticed that all the female drivers have now been replaced - I assume the teams were willing to experiment for the first few races, but now it's starting to get bit serious, the women have been dropped - doesn't bode well for women drivers getting into F1.

For all that battery powered cars are meant to be the future - with this Formula E racing meant to showcase that electric doesn't have to mean boring - the racing doesn't seem to get a lot of mention in the media.

Now that I've watched a few races, been trying to think of positives for the racing - can't really think of any. Maybe that it's nice to hear tyre squeal? If you were there, being able to talk to someone without having to scream to be heard?

But lots of negatives -

cars seem like electric go-karts with glorified aero package to make them seem faster/sexier

they're quite fragile, and seem to break too easy if they go over bumps and kerbs too agressively

may be due to lack of noise, but there's no real sensation of speed - not until they have to brake hard for sharp turn after long straight - and they skitter about in the braking zone - would be nice to see what sort of g-forces these cars are capable of

changing cars in the middle of the race - why they didn't just decide to have 2 shorter separate races instead? It's overly confusing when drivers go into pit and swap cars - in nearly every case, the leading drivers seem to end up at the end of the pack when they've changed cars

what's with the the minimum time you have to spend in the pits? Why can't the faster teams capitalise on their slickness of getting their driver out quickly?

Maybe if LFS did a version of the car, we could tell how hard the cars are to drive - seems like when teams get new drivers, they're on the pace almost from the get go. Likely this is because they're professional race drivers, rather than the cars are too easy to drive

Wonder how much aviation fuel is needed to move these cars and teams round the world in a season?
I agree that they should just run 2 shorter races, especially because they are not running any support races during the weekends, so it would stretch the show out a bit and make visiting a race in person a little more worthwhile.

I am pretty sure that the minimum pit road time is for safety reasons. They don't want drivers rushing the process of putting on belts, plugging in radios and stuff (the same reason Le Mans ditched the old start where the drivers ran to the cars). I think it would be easier if they had a pit road speed limit and a minimum pit stop time. Have an official at each team and the official releases the car after the stop time has elapsed (it would be a lot less confusing for the fans and probably a lot fewer penalties).
Or just an electronic system. One with a redlight, one with a green one lol
The series is not supposed to save fuel on its own. It is showcase/testbed/promotion of electric stuff. At least that is the idea...

The races themselfs are sometimes entertaining, has some good passes or other scenes. Just in back of head there is always the thought how they have to conserve energy. Every time a driver says something in interview it seems to be about battery/energy tactics. Feels bit strange if energy management is the limiting factor instead of other skills or grip, not as interessting.
(But 'even' F1 is bit like that with the tires etc)
The "sensation of speed" seems okay to me actually, depends very much on camera perspectives anyway.
Just caught up with the last 3 races - the first thing I noticed, is that all the female drivers who started the season, are gone, and permanently replaced with men. No female drivers at all left in this formula.

Wonder how Susie Wolff would have fared?
Hopefully they don't hire Scawen to program the overtaking, or they will be like the LFS ai (I jest)

I can already see the law suits filing in from safety workers and spectators being killed by cars that have glitches and full throttle through braking zones causing massive debris to fly through the air. Horrible idea lol.
It's interesting, in a couple decades I could see humans fighting IAs, just like in chessUhmm Puts a whole new twist to motorracing.
Quote from sinanju :.

Wonder how Susie Wolff would have fared?

Probably as well as she did in DTM. Tokenism and gobbling a shareholder got her the Williams gig. If a bloke got to her position with her achievements he would have been widely panned, but the sexist masses treat her like a pioneer heroine.

Formula E
(122 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG