The online racing simulator
continuing progress in lfs?
(31 posts, started )
Quote from black2whited :Why they dont just open the game for community addons like tracks, cars, etc?

That is a giant step sideways for the game.
  • it would take a long time to implement
  • user content would be unprofessional; the image of LFS would suffer
  • the game is not finished, the code is subject to change and is kept as small as possible
  • the developers are funding their retirement with S3, new content
That said, I would not be surprised if the devs open-source the game when they retire.
It already on the roadmap, but only after S3, else the devs will never their money to live. I actually think that custom cars/tracks should be enabled only on S3, or at least for the multiplayer part.
Quote from Macfox :
Quote from MiniVan :I havent played for quite some time, I was wondering if there were going to be any continued progress updates of significance ever going to happen any time soon?

No. LFS in software terms is end of life. A few token updates, (that those in denial will point out) that aren't trivial, but add little to rejuvenating the "racing" game. It's been that way for nearly 10 years and certainly will not change.

I picture the devs sitting in front of BW TV's, working towards building the 1st colour TV, only they deny it's 2015, but hey we've got a tethered remote control and a manual in 100 different languages....We're getting there.

Time to get a new crystal ball. Real world motorsports never underestimate the importance of tires. LFS is no different. The real litmus test will be once the rubber revision is done -- how much or little updating LFS gets afterwards.

[ ... ]
-
(cargame.nl) DELETED by Scawen : I think this post referred to some text that is now deleted
It's not a typo... He does it continuously on purpose (example)

But Victor already took action... All OK Smile

--
old topic by the way this, before 0.6J release.
Count me in the camp of those who bought this game simply because it had VR support, and I wouldn't play the game without it! It doesn't matter that the graphics are old, it looks phenomenal in the Rift. Heck, I play Doom from 1993 on the Rift, and it looks amazing! quality of graphics is COMPLETELY irrelevant to quality of VR experience. LFS is a whole new game in VR.
It's all about the immersion in VR, there's just no replacement for it. Sam Altman nails it in this interview:

Playing LFS in VR with a steering wheel does feel like I'm sitting in a car in actual reality, and getting in to a high speed crash for example, is a genuinely frightening thing.

continuing progress in lfs?
(31 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG