The online racing simulator
#27 - CB-1
Can we modify the size of numberboards?
as long as they are still readable yes
Do results from test race count for overall standings?If not, can we miss the test race?
The test event will not score to the championship. Missing it will not affect you in any form.
Does the car choice thread represent the cars being used in the test race or the official round 1?
Looking for a team mate to race this, i can race FXR, XFR and FXO.

Thanks
Briefing and Discussion: https://www.lfs.net/forum/thread/88302-Open-Endurance-Cup-One---Test-Round-Briefing-%26-Discussion

Quote from Oliver Feistkorn :Does the car choice thread represent the cars being used in the test race or the official round 1?

The thread will be continuous. The last post counts. If anyone wants to chance the car/class they shall simply post it their and it will be valid until the start of the qualifying session. Late changes result in a drive-through-penalty at the start of the race.
I am interessted but not 100% sure yet because dates etc.
For testrace can one just show up and do some laps or must sign up too?
I would like you to sign up prior to racing the test race.
An intersting read I found in the iRacing forum.

Quote from http://members.iracing.com/jforum/posts/list/1862299.page :This little piece is meant to help people to get through races safely while driving the Ford GT. The forum is loaded with complaints and discussions about what how to pass, what attitude to take and what rules to apply on multi-class racing. iRacing does not offer a solution and neither do I. I do however offer some tools to help you get on your way.

To write this I drew from the discussions on the forum and my own experiences in all three classes of the iRacing Prototype and GT Challenge. I don't claim all of the points of view to be exclusively my own. I might actually have picked up yours while reading and merged it into this article.

Below you will find some quotes accompanied by tips - not rules - on how to deal with traffic. I found that these tips helped me to finish races and found that when I got taken out or took someone out I usually failed to follow them. Maybe they work for you as well.

=======================================================================================================

1: “You’re going to lose time”

The first thing you need to accept when entering a multi-class event is that you’re going to lose time interacting with the other classes. It’s just like that. At best you lose zero seconds, but generally getting passed means losing time. There are no fixes. Moreover, the loss of time is going to be random and completely unfair. Sometimes you lose a lot, sometimes you lose a little

So don’t get frustrated over it. You cannot control when faster cars appear in your vicinity. All you can do is make the best of it when they approach. The smoother you handle getting passed, the more time you gain on your direct class competitors. That’s where to money is: handling traffic better than they do.

2: “There is no blue flag”

Yes, it appears and yes, it has a meaning. However that meaning is not that you should get out of the way. iRacing’s blue flag with yellow diagonal stripe merely informs you of faster cars being within 1.5 seconds behind you. The FIRST Sporting Code used by iRacing states you – being the slower driver – ought to maintain a consistent line and advises you to cooperate with safe passes.

So the only obligation you have to other drivers is to help them by when they attempt to pass you safely. Nothing more, nothing less. You can ignore drivers that start yelling “Blue flag!” and focus on creating the best passing opportunity for both of you. Don’t sign yourself away unless you’re willing to accept the additional time lost.

3: “Don’t get out of the way”

You have probably met him: the guy that announces in the beginning of the race that he will be moving over for everyone, because he just wants to finish the race unharmed. Usually this guy gets himself in trouble and achieves exactly the opposite of what he intended. Why? Because getting out of the way is a paradox. By getting out of the way you tend to actually get in the way.

Getting out of the way usually involves changing lines and slowing down at surprising and awkward moments, which tends to confuse the other drivers. When confusion is created, it leads to frustration and often to accidents. So drive as you would in any other lap and avoid making confusing moves.

4: “Show your intentions”

One way to avoid confusion is to show your intentions up front. If you are going to get passed the next turn and you want the faster driver to pass you on the right, make sure you are on the left well before he can pick that side. Most drivers will take the open door for what it is and recognise it as the best opportunity to get by. No questions asked. No confusion caused.

Don’t be too late though. Switching lines when a faster driver is right at your tail is dangerous business.

5: “Brake early”

Sometimes you get into a situation where you are just inside ‘shooting range’ of the faster driver. You just feel that once you start braking the faster driver will get side by side with you and you’ll have to go two wide through a corner. Usually both drivers lose an unnecessary amount of time that way. Thus you are faced with the option of braking late and staying ahead or braking early and have him clear you before the turn-in point. The latter is usually the better because of the reduced risk of contact and because of the comfort of driving your preferred line. Braking early might lose you some time under braking, but generally that loss is negated by the time you get out of the corner. You both win.

Don’t exaggerate though. It’s usually about just a few yards that allow the faster driver to get ahead. It’s not about slowing down in the middle of an acceleration zone, because that would go in the “Don’t get out of the way” category. You don’t want to get there.

6: “Shapeshift”

To survive a race with minimum loss of time and minimum risk you will need to adapt to every new situation, knowing that no two situations are ever the same. Every single time you will need to change your approach to who is passing you and where he’s passing you. There is no approach that will help you out 100% of the time. In some situations you’re better off ‘hardlining’ it, confidently taking your preferred line and delaying the moment you get passed. A moment later you might need to shapeshift into a Mr. Generous sacrificing a little time early on to get paid back with interest later.

7: “Be selfish”

It sounds so arrogant, but it’s so true. Always consider what line of action is the best for you. Ask yourself what approach will lose you the least time in the situation you are facing and go for it. However, don’t forget to consider risk in that equation. Holding up a driver for an entire lap might work well for you, but the driver behind you is likely to lose his temper and take more risks than you are willing to accept. Being selfish invariably means considering other drivers as well.

=======================================================================================================

As my experience changes I might add, remove or alter parts of the above. Feel free to make suggestion or ask questions.

Absolutely sound advice. I'd take this into account before going into the next race, it'll make it go so much smoother than the test race and with it being 4 hours, I'd like that very much.
Here's one teamless who'd like to take part. PM me Smile

(cars FZR, FXR, XFR, FXO)

Open Endurance Cup One - Information
(39 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG