The online racing simulator
Windows 10
(10 posts, started )
Windows 10
I got a "Get Windows 10" notification pop up on my task bar, offering me chance to upgrade from my existing Win 7 Pro to Win 10 Pro.

Anyone tried the demo version, and is it worth upgrading? Or, is anyone going to upgrade anyway?

Can't say I'm really a fan of the tile look introduced in Win 8, although my son has Win 8.1 on his laptop, and says you get used to it quite quickly. "Used to" isn't the same as liking.

As long as I can still access my music, photos, internet, email and LFS, don't really care much about what else it can do.

I'm aware Win7 mainstream support has already ended, although there is extended support till 2020.
Windows 10 is still not out officially so this is still more or less beta. I heard that Win 8 drivers work on Win 10 so you could try it. I would recommend getting a dual boot first, before you switch to Win 10 completely, so you can see yourself, is it worth it or not.
Win 7 support ends January 14 2020.

Win 10 is a 'free*' update if you run certain versions of Win 7 or Win 8.1. ( NOT WIN 8 !!! )

Apparently Win 10 can be re-installed from an update and doesn't require a key. # (Yes, TBA)
The free update cycle for upgrades to Win 10 runs for 12 months from 29 July 2015.

If you want to remove the Win 10 update notification icon, uninstall update KB3035583.

* Pirated Win versions, certain licences, it's all different. Vista & XP, no way. You seem to be better off pirating a version of a supported system cus then you get Win 10 free. http://www.pcworld.com/article/2898668/windows-10-will-be-a-free-upgrade-for-software-pirates-too.html

The whole licence thing is yet another M$oft flustecluck, like so much of their product licencing base.

Sorry for the cynical attitude but I'm into hour 13 of a conversation with M$ about M$'s licencing and what's actually legal with virtualisation .........

As much as the whole thing pisses me off, cus I'm set up to provide this, I just can't legally as there are M$ rules to follow, and I'm buggered if I'll let some other Co act illegally to provide a service that legally I can't. So, ATM I have some 'Misc Co' that I've setup to get seriously audited by M$ for lying to one of my clients about how awesome DaaS is and how so easy it is to achieve ....

Don't try to steal my clients scum......

I have Dell and HP on my sad side Smile
Logically I really agree with what this co is offering, but legally I can't provide this, so neither can they !

I really hate M$ licencing crap.......
Rock, Paper, Shotgun, on whats being removed from Win 10

"It seems as though the most drastic feature to be dropped this time around is actually just ye olde Windows Media Center. Likewise, long-standing stalwarts Minesweeper and Solitaire will also be taken out albeit repackaged in some form, proving their complete removal from our universe is as unlikely their removal of from my heart. Did you know I once played nothing but Solitaire for three months? I wasn’t even stuck in a Turkish prison or anything.

Microsoft announced just last week that Windows 10 would release July 29th of this year. You can check out those earlier launch details here. It’ll be free to upgrade from Windows 7 or 8.1, but cost $119 for a new copy of Windows 10 Home and $199 for Win 10 Pro."
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2015/06/07/windows-10-deprecated-features/

Well, actually I use Win Media Player with Win 7 Pro on one of my PC's to provide NZ Freeview TV with (a) suitable Hauppauge card(s).
Given Hobbitvilles pathetic licencing regarding our 'Freeview', this is such a no brainer choice for watching and recording TV it's 'THE' IT choice here......

Looks like going fully Linux is the best choice post 2020............
Quote from sinanju :Anyone tried the demo version, and is it worth upgrading? Or, is anyone going to upgrade anyway?

What I got is not offering a demo or a limited version, full version instantly.
I don't think they've gone philanthropic all of the sudden, it's more likely that they've found a new way to charge for their product.

I will try it once it comes on and see what kind of traps it hides Smile
I'm utterly shocked that my circa 2005 hp dc5100 pentium 4 machine is compatible with this, but I checked it from within the menu you get if you click the taskbar icon and it's fully compatible apparently.
Quote from sermilan :
Quote from sinanju :Anyone tried the demo version, and is it worth upgrading? Or, is anyone going to upgrade anyway?

What I got is not offering a demo or a limited version, full version instantly.
I don't think they've gone philanthropic all of the sudden, it's more likely that they've found a new way to charge for their product.

I will try it once it comes on and see what kind of traps it hides Smile

No, they've just decided to do an Apple. Win 10 is FREE for 12 months from 29 July 2015, IF you run (generally*) any version of Win 7 or Win 8.1. Then, there will be no further versions of Windoze, only upgrades to your current system.

Disclaimer; Yeah right !, that's what they are saying now, I personally believe this will change 'SOMETIME' in the future !

Home will convert to 10 Home, Pro will convert to 10 Pro. Is it worth it ?, if you run 8, absolutely. It's certainly better and they even have done a Classic Shell fix, the Start menu is back. Still not as good as Start with 7 but much better than 8.1.

The test versions are still not there but they are getting there.

IMPORTANT: DON'T UPGRADE AN IMPORTANT PC ON DAY 0. Seriously, there will be issues so let some other Noddy find out what doesn't work first before you find something is broken in your world.

* Like, RT versions, Ultimate, Win 8, Vista, Xp, (Pirate versions of 7/8.1 seem vague ATM, check interwebby...) etc etc are not included. Check out the interwebby for details. And yes, 10 runs on low end devices better than 7 or 8.1. A number of people get it working on Pentium 4's.

Quote from S3ANPukekoh3 :
Wait you can do this? How do I do this?

My cheapo system, SFF HP8000, E8400 Core 2 Duo, 2 x 2 Terrabyte HD, Win 7 Pro, 8 GIG DDR3, 2x Hauppauge TV cards, ATI 5450, NZ Freeview terrestrial aerial. Plus external 3 TB HD, NAS will follow when needed with my movie collection.

Run media player on pro, picks up the Hauppauge cards, tune into freeview, simple as that. It allows you to record TV and save as a standard video file rather than the NZ Freeview rule that Freeview certified devices can only playback recordings on themselves and must encrypt their recordings. ( Yes, this is retarded but these were the rules our Govt decided on .......)
Because this is not Freeview certified it doesn't need to obey the pointless rules.
This also lets you play and store movies, Run Lightbox* and On Demand with the same device, plus game play Smile Run VLC for movies, and if you want to stream to other devices, have a play with VLC's menu options.....
* Yeah, but its free if your a krapS (WTF, Who approved this name change ???) customer and Vikings, Dr Who, Orange...., Top Gear, Outlander, Partner stuff...., Grandchildren stuff, etc etc ... Smile

I'm playing with Kobe and Next, this gives an EPG that Media player doesn't but it's nowhere near as simple, still not fully working ATM, ( Need to book in time to work on the box cus Partner wants to watch ... ) It will be better eventually but Media Player simply just worked with no effort .....

I expect in time it will be much better, but with a lot more development and setup, Kobe lets you use the iPad as a remote, once I can integrate Lightbox and On Demand websites within Kobe it will be awesome. Just many hours of setup......

But, once this is working, this system will sell..........
Quote from danthebangerboy :I'm utterly shocked that my circa 2005 hp dc5100 pentium 4 machine is compatible with this, but I checked it from within the menu you get if you click the taskbar icon and it's fully compatible apparently.

Here's why:

Quote from Minimum System Reqirements :Processor: 1 gigahertz (GHz) or faster.
RAM: 1 gigabyte (GB) (32-bit) or 2 GB (64-bit)
Free hard disk space: 16 GB.
Graphics card: Microsoft DirectX 9 graphics device with WDDM driver.
A Microsoft account and Internet access.

Racer X you talk when you know not the truth as usual, you get Windows 8.1 for free as an update if you run windows 8, so you also get windows 10 for free.

Source: me, a person who has a windows 8 laptop that was updated to windows 8.
Quote from Bmxtwins :Racer X you talk when you know not the truth as usual, you get Windows 8.1 for free as an update if you run windows 8, s\

Uninformed Crap, as usual from you ...

Windows 8, You must first upgrade to Windows 8.1 (free in the Windows Store) and then install the free Windows 8.1 Update from Windows Update. After that's complete, you're eligible for the free Windows 10 upgrade.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows-10-upgrades-wont-be-free-for-everyone-do-you-qualify/

While I personally have no idea why anyone running Win 8 would not upgrade to Win 8.1, if you haven't, then you are not entitled to a free Win 10 upgrade. I'm simply pointing out the actual upgrade rules, rather than whatever fantasy world you choose to live in.......

I work with these rules everyday, logic and common sense plays no part in their application, only the M$ legal teams EULA choices are relevent. And they say, Win 8, no upgrade.

Windows 10
(10 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG