The online racing simulator
Is it possible to find the owner of a website. (RESOLVED)
I am a complete computer numpty...

I am interested to know who is making a product...I can go to the website and see various (dubious) information about their history and contact details...

What I really want to know is, who owns the site (makes the product)...and from where?

Is it possible to find this information?

(I will not say the product/site I am interested in...just hoping for some general information...so apologies for the vagueness)
You could try to run a Whois on the domain and see who holds the domain. Sometimes they have contact details in there, but I don't expect them to be real if it's a dubious website.
Yes I did look at the whois thing....

Would lower and upper case count?....So my name here is Anthoop, would it be different if it was anTHoop?

Edit- I can find a domain on whois with the exact same name/letters...just the upper/lower case is different
You might be able to find some useful info by running a whois query on the domain. The amount of information may be different depending on what the top level domain is (iirc .com domains provide more information that .nu domains, for example).

Where/how to issue the query also depends on what tld we're talking about, but .se domains, for example, I'd use LoopiaWHOIS, ie:

https://whois.loopia.se/liveforspeed.se
Excerpt:

state: active
domain: liveforspeed.se
holder: xxxtho2888-00001
admin-c: -
tech-c: -
billing-c: -
created: 2006-06-29
modified: 2015-05-12
expires: 2015-06-29
transferred: 2009-03-06
nserver: ns1.loopia.se
nserver: ns2.loopia.se
dnssec: signed delegation
registrar: Loopia AB

In this example, the holder information "unfortunately" has been obfuscated ("holder: xxxtho2888-00001") by the registrar (registrar: Loopia AB).

For lfs.net (https://whois.loopia.se/lfs.net), on the other hand, we're able to find a lot more information:

Excerpt:

Registry Tech ID:
Tech Name: Victor van Vlaardingen
Tech Organization: Live for Speed
Tech Street: 16 Ladydown View
Tech City: Tisbury
Tech State/Province:
Tech Postal Code: SP3 6LL
Tech Country: GB
Tech Phone: +44.1747123456

You should be able to use LoopiaWHOIS for any tld.

Additionally, if the domain has a SSL certificate you might be able to find even more information by looking at it's details:

For example we can see that the certificate for example.com has been registered to Internet Corporation for Assigned Names and Numbers (IANA) by DigiCert:

Edit: In Sweden, companies are required to provide their organizational number clearly on the website, which you could then use to find more information about the company (see second attachment). If a company does not provide their organizational number, or if it is at least not clear which the company is, I'd definitely consider it a dubious company and take my business elsewhere -- Obviously that might be different in other regions.
Attached images
cert.png
org.png
Excellent...thankyou Felplacerad found exactly what I needed. Smile
#6 - Jakg
Quote from Anthoop :Yes I did look at the whois thing....

Would lower and upper case count?....So my name here is Anthoop, would it be different if it was anTHoop?

Edit- I can find a domain on whois with the exact same name/letters...just the upper/lower case is different

Domains are case insensitive (e.g. LfS.net = lFs.net).

If you gave us more info you'd get a lot more back.
Quote from Jakg :
Quote from Anthoop :Yes I did look at the whois thing....

Domains are case insensitive (e.g. LfS.net = lFs.net).

If you gave us more info you'd get a lot more back.

Thanks.

As I said in my first post, apologies for vagueness....I found the information I needed as someone told me how to find it....(just did not want to tell everyone about that special doll I was looking for).... Rofl

FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG