The online racing simulator
The one big question
(15 posts, started )
The one big question
I've been fond of racing simulators since I have had PCs - more than 20 years now.
There's also something I've been wondering all the time. And the older I'm getting the more I want to actually shout this question into the world. Because what I have in mind is becoming more doable (faster computers, more drive space, etc.) each and every day. But somehow...

It's the one question some of you are probably asking as well. Bear with me, because there's a lot of thoughts in my head.

We've got so many games covering different aspects of driving. Like...

... the Need for Speed series. Or Burnout Paradise. Theres not much good I can say about these other than some of those games had pretty nice open driving through large cities. Not something I'd call relaxed cruising sim but better than closed tracks without much diversity.

... the Test Drive Unlimited Series. Not bad in terms of wide open landscape and lots of miles of roads to drive on. Pretty looking, too. Part 1 was the lesser evil when it came to car handling, but very far from being realistic despite the "simulator mode". Was fun, though, sometimes. Too few polygons for the roads, so you we're more hopping than driving down slopes or uphill but that was only a minor annoyance compared to other deficiencies.

... the GTA-Series. Great freedom, big worlds, nice graphics for their respective time, but driving sucks. At least when you're looking for something which feels like a car. Didn't try 5 yet, so I don't know about that one. But I don't expect much improvement over past pieces.

... all kinds of great simulators which believably recreate how it feels to drive racing cars. Like LFS. Like TOCA. Like the bestest and loveliest pain in the asses of them all, GPL. I'd even go as far as to name Gran Tourismo. Not exactly a simulator, but it's good fun and there's lots of cars to explore which have a half-way believable handling. Problem: closed round tracks, no open roads.

... City Car Driving. Looks and feels a bit weird and it's pretty limited when it comes to cars and roads, but it's a nice indie effort worth supporting. And the environment and traffic feel like a living and breathing world.

... Truck sim games from SCS (especially ETS2). Nice landscape (at least they serve the purpose - who's actually looking at trees and houses while driving fast on highways). Great diversity in truck rides and customization, takes more than 1 hour to drive from one end of the map to the other. Even the AI traffic has improved to a level I'd call "not completely retarded" anymore.
There's a mod system but the physics engine is limited to large vehicles so you can't simulate regular road cars properly. I've tried a couple car mods. Some look great but all of them are fail when it comes to handling, sound and stuff, because they're essentially trucks with a car body. And they keel over if you touch the wheel beyond 100mph. It's funny once.
Great about ETS2: It's actually trying to simulate an automatic transmission from the real world. For example it actually shifts up gears if you're ease up on the throttle. The only other game which does that is City Car Driving (and to a certain degree the good old Interstate 76, yay).

You're probably getting an idea what I actually want to ask...

WHY THE HECK has never anyone tried to create a realistic autobahn/highway driving game for regular cars?
With rides from different classes (like LFS has, brands don't matter), which behave accordingly.
With realistic roads/highways (not necessarily real roads but at least life-like).
With half-way plausibly acting AI-traffic. (That's probably pretty difficult.)
With the ability to go flat out, pedal to the metal, balls-out insane full throttle for at least a couple minutes at a time (German autobahn-like, without speed limits).
With realistic fuel consumption so your Veyron can only go like 12 minutes at full throttle.
With all the bad things which can happen as well, like trucks swerving onto the left lane without any warning or grandpas trying to overtake a truck in their 100 year old VW beetle at 50mph (when the truck is driving 55).
With annoying left-lane junkies (BMWs) running into your trunk at 150mph.
But without traffic jams, hehe.

Have I missed something?
Is it that hard?

How about taking the physics model of LFS, dropping the world of ETS2 on top of it and adding a couple more roads (and less severe turns on the highways) and there we have it. Jeez, I'd pay 300 bucks for it if it was half-way decent.

Preferably with multiplayer options so we can have a Cannonball. :-)

Anyone agree?
Well that is a lot of food for thought nut I would wonder, why? OK. there is the speed camera thing on real roads, combined with congestion that takes pretty much all of the joy out of driving but if you are going to do that would it not be better to reduce the size of the thing by having 'sets' of roads? How about releasing the different top gear challenges? The roads from each challenge could make up a 'set' or 'challenge set'? Having a large number of roads is just too big for the average computer and THAT is what you have to cater for not the highest spec you can have. Simply put, the majority of us cannot afford that. Apart from which I cannot myself, accept the logic of adapting a race simulation for 'cruise' control. It makes having a race sim pointless. Another thought, why is this in general racing talk, which is about the real world as far as I know?
Quote from gooney :Have I missed something?
Is it that hard?

Lack of demand, I would assume.

Quote from mike1158 :Apart from which I cannot myself, accept the logic of adapting a race simulation for 'cruise' control.

Don't really see the interest of cruising around myself, however driving ten-tenths in real life-like traffic can be lots of fun, and pretty challenging too. Think of it as a standard point-to-point race, with the the added element of traffic as unpredictable mobile chicanes, requiring both anticipation and improvisation.

I remember having good fun with this kind of stuff on Midtown Madness 2 and NFS(the first one, on PSx, which was actually very decent for its era), good times.
Perhaps I was not clear enough in the points about top gear challenges, perhaps they can be redone on the computer, in some kind of sim? Traffic would be a headache to recreate. True to life then?
Quote from gooney :
Have I missed something?
Is it that hard?

No, I think you missed something. Try a search on "Project Cars" on Youtube.
Quote from cargame.nl :
Quote from gooney :
Have I missed something?
Is it that hard?

No, I think you missed something. Try a search on "Project Cars" on Youtube.

Thanks for the hint. I've already seen PC a couple months ago, but it doesn't really nail it down. There's no open roads in it, really. It's still a track racing game at heart.

I understand that many racing fans only have an interest in circuit tracks. Because that's how racing works, mostly.

Thing is: There is a market for Truck "sims" like ETS2 with an open world. Sure, there are career goals beyond racing stuff - managing a logistics firm (on a very basic level) and delivering goods. And ability levels and vehicle upgrades and so forth. But that's just addons. At the core it's about the truck driving and the open world.

There's gotta be a market for car sims with an open world, too. As I said: Take the LFS engine, drop the ETS world on it and there you go. And I can't imagine I'm the only one who'd have fun with that.
Autobahn with Bugatti Veyron with traffic:

the game is World Racing 2 and the car and track are mods, so some things are a bit strange.
(the track is converted from the "Alarm für Cobra 11" game)
The tracks is not superlong but still the longest part of german autobahn in any game I know.
Physics are arcade but not as silly as in NFSU or similiar.
WR2 also has a "free drive" mode where you can just drive around on the map. (all the tracks are road networks like in GTA, but smaller area)
Quote from gooney :
Thanks for the hint. I've already seen PC a couple months ago, but it doesn't really nail it down. There's no open roads in it, really. It's still a track racing game at heart.

I understand that many racing fans only have an interest in circuit tracks. Because that's how racing works, mostly.

Eehh well.. It has... The California road and the French boulevard, I cannot really name them as circuits Big grin .. I tried them (I have a team member account there).. But ... Well.. Yeah, It still some sort of straight line.. Thats true.. Only San Andreas comes to my mind and maybe there are follow ups, I never followed Rockstar anymore although there quite a lot of people which enjoy their releases. Next one is due for March (PC).

But really 100% similar to ETS2 hmm no, would be nice. For the cruisers :P
He explicitly wants to drive on open public roads with traffic.
Temporary race tracks like Circuit de la Sarthe use parts of public roads but do not fit because they have extra "race track stuff" like curbs, more fences, audience, barriers and so on.
Otherwise every F1 game could be listed because they have the Monaco GP.
And of course there is no traffic.

Quote :Eehh well.. It has... The California road and the French boulevard, I cannot really name them as circuits

Even if there is less/no racetrack stuff, without traffic it basically is a closed road, similiar to rally stages or hill climb.

Seems the video disallows embedding, so again as link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMItDWV32nk
because theres nothing more mind numbingly boring than driving the autobahn
Mafia and Mafia II might be the closest to what you've been looking for, although all the bribery, prostitution, gambling, shooting, killing and stuff might be a distraction for some.
I am not in favour but, there should be room for ALL choices and if there is a business case which could be supported by the number of people asking for cruise modes, perhaps there is money to be made. I personally agree that the motorways and their kind bore me to tears but if someone likes that..... There was a ?star? in the reasonably priced car that stated "The M25 is the greatest drivers road in Europe"....... Go figure how a sometimes huge parking lot can be any kind of drivers road.
#13 - 5tag
I have to say I always dreamt of steering a Lotus 49 or Formula 3000 through thick traffic. Whether that is in the middle of a city, some B roads or a stretch of Autobahn - well I'll take it all!

GTA IV driving physics are actually pretty cool but it's not a simulation unfortunately. If there were proper support for wheels/pedals and manual shifting it would be a blast.
The one you may need is City Car Driving (webpage).

Lots of videos on youtube, like this...

Quote from sinanju :The one you may need is City Car Driving (webpage).

Lots of videos on youtube, like this...

-CCD video-

LOL, that's some really strong brakes in that Ford, check 2:33 Big grin

The one big question
(15 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG