The online racing simulator
how do you record LFS?
(7 posts, started )
#1 - jnr89
how do you record LFS?
I was trying to find another source than the LFS manual, since we can use so many screen recorders to capture footage from LFS (the classic fraps, bandicam, dxtory, etc)

in my case, I used to record with fraps years ago, but I gave a try to bandicam and dxtory. the problem with dxtory is that I cant manage the output files to work (black/green screen, sound is good but no video at all, i think it has to do something with the codecs)

I try bandicam, is excellent but just one thing I couldnt fix: I set it to record at 60fps, and it seems to record at 60fps with no lag (the game is steady at 60fps) but the output file drops the frames to 45-55 fps, I couldnt find anything related to this behavior.

The classic fraps, is good, but the same problem: gigantic files, but with some details:
I set it with a fps limit of 60 fps, but while recording i get some drops (just a couple) but the fps rate went from 60 to 120 fps in some segments (not full screen, but Vsync activated, in full screen 1920x1080 the vsyncs limits the fps to 60, in window mode even with vsycn on, the FPS can go over 100.)

Since it has been years from my last time editing LFS videos, I dont know if this kind of detail is normal, maybe i ignored it years ago, maybe i discovered it now just because i am more experienced with video editing concepts.

So, it is normal to get variable frame rate when recording LFS from those recorders?
I did my test using the SHIFT+U camera mode, with shots around the car, doing a 360 degrees to test the smoothness.

I attached some screenshots if you want to see my point.

I hope to see some of your suggestion, or your workflow to edit videos from LFS.

just for the record my system specs:

CPU- i7 4770k (NO OC)
GPU- R9280x asus matrix platinum ROG
RAM- 16GB

PD: sorry for my bad english.
Attached images
bandicamfps.JPG
60-120fps.JPG
Yeah, frame rate could be different as those from in game. You can adjust 120fps recording at Fraps and it should lower lag or fps drops.
Debut Screen Capture by NCH software. Trust me, it's the best one out of fraps, camtasia, or any other recording program. (^_^)

You could try recording at half-speed and 30fps, and limiting it to 30 in game, too. That way you can speed it up using Sony Vegas, or any preferred video editing software, or even VirtualDub.

I would think the video outputted by Fraps is in stable 60fps, so even though your framerate goes higher than that, any "speed-ups" won't occur (correct me if i'm wrong on this one, as i'm very unsure about the last statement). The filesizes of the videos recorded with fraps is very large, yeah, but keep in mind Fraps outputs only uncompressed .avi files, and yeah, they're very large if you enable full-screen recording and the resolution is 1920x1080.
Use virtualdub or something to see if the framerate really is different. I found the windows explorer sometimes shows strange numbers.

For test try to record in very small resolution: If it FPS now stay at 60 fps then you were hitting limits of your computer. If frames still drop then it is (maybe) something else.
I think eventually the HDD becomes a limiting factor..SSD maybe better.
#6 - jnr89
Quote from Pablo Donoso :Debut Screen Capture by NCH software. Trust me, it's the best one out of fraps, camtasia, or any other recording program. (^_^)

I will give a try, never heard of this one before, thanks for the info!!

Quote from nikopdr :You could try recording at half-speed and 30fps, and limiting it to 30 in game, too. That way you can speed it up using Sony Vegas, or any preferred video editing software, or even VirtualDub.

I would think the video outputted by Fraps is in stable 60fps, so even though your framerate goes higher than that, any "speed-ups" won't occur (correct me if i'm wrong on this one, as i'm very unsure about the last statement). The filesizes of the videos recorded with fraps is very large, yeah, but keep in mind Fraps outputs only uncompressed .avi files, and yeah, they're very large if you enable full-screen recording and the resolution is 1920x1080.

the most weird thing is, in-game i can see the frame rates over 150-200+++ but even like that, the video output is with a lot less frame rates, the highest i get was 80-ish, the average is good since is over 60fps according to MEDIAINFO (I use that software to check codec infoc and fps and more details)

Quote from Gutholz :Use virtualdub or something to see if the framerate really is different. I found the windows explorer sometimes shows strange numbers.

For test try to record in very small resolution: If it FPS now stay at 60 fps then you were hitting limits of your computer. If frames still drop then it is (maybe) something else.
I think eventually the HDD becomes a limiting factor..SSD maybe better.

I agree with you totally, years ago I refuse the idea of getting a SSD because the price and low storage, but since I upgrade to this rig, I had to get a SSD because the bottleneck in the whole computer was just in the HDD, right now I have two HDD (2tb each one) and 1 SSD (120gb), the ssd is for the OS, and the HDD's are for video editing/recording/everythinelse.

I just found out that because the difference in speed in the HHD compared with the SSD, I can swear that using a SSD for saving recordings will improve the video output process (faster, probably bigger files and better FPS rate)

Since SSDs prices are dropping and the storage available is getting bigger, I will try to get another SSD to use it for video work for sure.

thanks for your feedback! If someone has tested SSD recording with LFS, giving some feedback would be awesome!

I will show you this video I made, its supposed to be 60fps, but something inside me tells me that in some parts, the FPS rate drops below 60fps (when the camera is around the cars, cockpit-view didnt drop any frame at all):

pd: sorry for my bad english
Is the effect at 45sec somehow rendered ingame or added in editing?
(I think it is somehow possible to export car/camera coordinates for use in after effects?)

how do you record LFS?
(7 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG