The online racing simulator
Hunting/Fishing?
(8 posts, started )
Hunting/Fishing?
Hello.... Anyone do these?
I like to fish, preferably salt water. I've only been offshore once. Mostly I wade or (starting to) kayak fish along the the coast or in brackish areas where the bayous feed into the bay or Gulf of Mexico. The primary fish are red drum, speckeled trout and flounder. There are other species too, but those are the three main ones fished for. And if you really really want, sharks. I don't really know much about the fresh water fishing here.
Hunting.... the last time I did that was in 1989. I remember it cause the weather was zero degrees Fahrenheit. Which is horrifically cold in an area where the winter days rarely reach zero Celsius.
Well my wife inherited a big bit of land up in East Texas in the middle of Davy Crockett Forest. It looks like a jungle. They have an exploding deer population and of course, feral hogs. I dunno. Never really cared for hunting the way most people do around here. They plant a few oats or put up a feeder, sit in a box and shoot the deer when it gets close to the food. Feral hogs are hunted all sorts of ways, but as they are more of a nuisance instead of a game animal, most people trap them in pens. As far as hunting goes, there's really not a lot of animal species you can hunt in Texas. I use .30-30's. Ones a Winchester Saddleman's carbine (think John Wayne gun) the other a Marlin with a 3 x 9 zoom red field scope that cost more than the gun. I think this time around, I try and get a large caliber air rifle.
I imagine in Europe air rifles and maybe black powder shot are popular? 30.06 is probably the most popular here. Canada? LOL 20mm anti-tank guns. Then there's bow hunting. Anyone do that? I've seen on some hog hunting forums Aussies hunting them with spears... I like being an equal part of the food chain when I hunt too. That's why I wade fish (shark bait and jelly fish magnet). But a spear against a 150-200kg pig? With tusks? And a taste for meat too?
Hunting here, is stupidly expensive unless you own land. I never had the time or the money to hunt til recently. Doing so now, if successful, will be cheaper than going to the grocery store. So anyone that hunts have any insights or advice, it would be greatly appreciated Smile
But for now, I'm focusing on fishing. Or TRY to focus.... Working sucks. There's a place I want to try that really looks promising.
I'd recommend bow hunting, I haven't fired a rifle in almost 15 years now. It's so much more visceral when you are stalking your prey, getting a lot closer than would using a boom stick.

I forgot to add, you can fish with a bow as well, only had the opportunity to try it once, but it's rather fun being able to selectively target a specific fish you have sighted.
#3 - Bean0
Hunting with a bow is not legal in the UK.

I used to enjoy shooting rabbits with an air rifle years ago (which mainly involved sitting in a bush and waiting for them to come into range), sadly nowadays you can't just wander about the local fields with a gun, someone will call the police.
Quote from Bean0 :Hunting with a bow is not legal in the UK.

I used to enjoy shooting rabbits with an air rifle years ago (which mainly involved sitting in a bush and waiting for them to come into range), sadly nowadays you can't just wander about the local fields with a gun, someone will call the police.

WOT !!!

When I was a younger (10+) I used to shoot the little critters from the back of a ute with a shotgun. Here's our Dept of Conservation on killing the little %^&&#@$ today. http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-recreation/things-to-do/hunting/what-to-hunt/rabbits-and-hares/

And hunting Possums can involve dogs and a rock to get them out of the tree......

We have tried to sell the little %^&&@#$ to Aus, where they are protected and loved. Probably because they are the only critters that don't kill you, but they didn't want them. And, for us, they eat all the native birds food and kill the trees. So, KILLING TIME !!!!

Come here to hunt Bambi, Bambi's mom, Dad, Nemo, Peter Rabbit, Babe etc, any way you damn well please ......

We also have a range of outdoor activities that only risk killing the participants.
To some it's Bungy, others call it Bungee. All we know is that AJ Hackett Bungy pioneered this crazy adrenalin activity called Bungy Jumping in little place called ... http://www.bungy.co.nz/

The beautiful landscape has not yet been tamed in every respect, dangerous places are not all fenced off like in other countries. Being allowed so close to nature is a privilege that needs to be enjoyed with responsibility, as it involves certain risks and dangers to get out into the wild. Tourists cause a third # of all bush rescues, mostly in the alps of the South Island, often underestimating the risks of being active outdoors. Even short excursions can get dangerous if you get hurt and on your own.

# Yup, the other 2/3 thirds is Kiwi's screwing up Smile
Welcome to NZ hunting, Man, Dogs, Knife.... Only whimps need a gun !
Quote from Bean0 :Hunting with a bow is not legal in the UK.

In Poland you have to be member of hunting association to hunt legally, otherwise you are a poacher. Even when you hit an animal with your car - when you take the carcass you are a poacher. Probably your car is a carcass but additionally, when under sign 'beware of wild animals' you are not under assurance.

I thought that wandering about and bird/hare shooting is legal in UK.
Tough topic, but I don't like hunting and I disapprove it.

You may continue now! Hehe.
Quote from lap traffic nz :I'd recommend bow hunting, I haven't fired a rifle in almost 15 years now. It's so much more visceral when you are stalking your prey, getting a lot closer than would using a boom stick.

I forgot to add, you can fish with a bow as well, only had the opportunity to try it once, but it's rather fun being able to selectively target a specific fish you have sighted.

uh.... No thanks. Bow hunting takes a special kind of dedication. I'm not dedicated enough to put on scent neutralizer aka deer pee. And stand motionless in a tree for hours. Yeah. Bow hunting's a pretty rough business. Fishing? LOLOL you can't see in the water around here. and the fresh water fish all hang out in weeds. You can fish for alligator gar in some rivers and lakes, but for the most part the water here is pretty murky. I wouldn't mind bow fishing, but not around here. Off shore maybe?
ROFL DUCK HUNTING!

I have a crossbow. It needs to be redone though. In Texas the ONLY way you can legally hunt with a cross-bow is if you only have the use of one arm. How the hell does that work? I heard they changed the laws some, but not much. I wouldn't hunt deer or hogs with it anyways. It has plenty of punch at the start but after twenty yards, the bolt starts to drop fast.
Quote from Racer Y :
Quote from lap traffic nz :I'd recommend bow hunting, I haven't fired a rifle in almost 15 years now. It's so much more visceral when you are stalking your prey, getting a lot closer than would using a boom stick.

uh.... No thanks. Bow hunting takes a special kind of dedication. I'm not dedicated enough to put on scent neutralizer aka deer pee. And stand motionless in a tree for hours. Yeah. Bow hunting's a pretty rough business. Fishing? LOLOL you can't see in the water around here. and the fresh water fish all hang out in weeds. You can fish for alligator gar in some rivers and lakes, but for the most part the water here is pretty murky. I wouldn't mind bow fishing, but not around here. Off shore maybe?
ROFL DUCK HUNTING!

I have a crossbow. It needs to be redone though. In Texas the ONLY way you can legally hunt with a cross-bow is if you only have the use of one arm. How the hell does that work? I heard they changed the laws some, but not much. I wouldn't hunt deer or hogs with it anyways. It has plenty of punch at the start but after twenty yards, the bolt starts to drop fast.

Maybe you guys do things a little differently in the USA, I have never sprayed myself with urine of any kind, and I don't use tree stands. I prefer to walk into the bush, find deer sign then track/stalk my prey until an opportunity to chuck an arrow at it arises. Taking into account terrain, wind and sound, I enjoy the stalking more than the kill shot although bbq back steaks certainly are an excellent byproduct.

As for the bow fishing side, we are spoilt here when it comes to water clarity, the main issue is our primary freshwater sport fish is Trout, which can only be taken by rod, artificial fly or spin only, with a few places bait can be used. There are a few lakes/ponds where carp can be shot with a bow, but saltwater bow fishing would be my pick.

Hunting/Fishing?
(8 posts, started )
FGED GREDG RDFGDR GSFDG